Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Will Yam wrote: »
    Why is it so difficult to give a clear answer? It’s a straight question, and whether I believe anybody should be on pup or not is irrelevant.

Ohh, so now who is being evasive?
    Ohh Willy, Willy, Willy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I'm not sure how schools are safer than homes? Can people explain that to me?!

I suspect there is also a school of thought in government that if kids are not in school, they will be sharing child-minding arrangements with other kids, staying with grandparents during the day, "bubbling up" with other families, or posibly meeting up with each other, with or without parents.

It is a fair point to be honest, I don't think anyone will go back to what went on last March/April,
    bar maybe a few parents.So in that context they are "safer" in school - safer in that the HSE can easily identify who they spend the majority of their time near, I suppose.It is probably viewed as a more controlled situation, than closing schools and hoping parents will keep to guidelines about not mixing for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

combat14 wrote: »
    almost 3100 cases on island today so not too far off it

1500 odd here today.

And that figure includes catch-up from the last few days when reporting was patchy. The next 3 days reporting will determine what happens.

1500 odd here today.

And that figure includes catch-up from the last few days when reporting was patchy. The next 3 days reporting will determine what happens.

2007 positive swabs today at a 14.5% positivity rate.

Still roughly 1500 cases waiting to be announced

Ohh, so now who is being evasive?
    Ohh Willy, Willy, Willy.

For some reason you appear to be very reluctant to say where the non exam teachers will operate from.

If I were a cynic I’d be thinking that you are one of those who believe that every teacher worked a full day from March on.

Or maybe you’re the lad who claimed to work over 40 hours a week the whole way through from March to September?

• Advertisement

2007 positive swabs today at a 14.5% positivity rate.

Still roughly 1500 cases waiting to be announced

Even at 15% it’s another 225 cases.

Keep pushing, you’ll get our schools closed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

For some reason you appear to be very reluctant to say where the non exam teachers will operate from.

If I were a cynic I’d be thinking that you are one of those who believe that every teacher worked a full day from March on.

Or maybe you’re the lad who claimed to work over 40 hours a week the whole way through from March to September?

If I was a cycnic I would think you had an anti teacher agenda considering you have mentioned preivously put them on the pup and going by previous posts.
    WHere does it matter they teach from as long as they are teaching?

Tut tut Willy. I can only speak for myself that I delivered the curriculum according to my timetable. I can't and won't speak on behalf of others but can say that those I know of did likewise. We all approached it in different ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Can I suggest that each and every time these tr**ls post and go on and on about teacher pay that we ignore and report, and repeat 5 mins later when they try again. This is a T&L discussion on Covid in Schools, not an anti teacher rant by posters with a chip on their shoulders.

Anyone that wants to can take off to After Hours and rant all they like.

khalessi wrote: »

WHere does it matter they teach from as long as they are teaching?

So why not answe the question?

• Advertisement

Even at 15% it’s another 225 cases.

Keep pushing, you’ll get our schools closed yet.

I don't want closures. I've been very clear about that. I just stated what I think could happen.

Very obvious you have zero skin in the game anyway with the way you approach this topic.

The parents in our school voted with their actions before Christmas about what they thought of the government approach. I highly suspect something similar may occur next week.

Can I suggest that each and every time these tr**ls post and go on and on about teacher pay that we ignore and report, and repeat 5 mins later when they try again. This is a T&L discussion on Covid in Schools, not an anti teacher rant by posters with a chip on their shoulders.

Anyone that wants to can take off to After Hours and rant all they like.

With the greatest of respect, in the context of Covid , one of your buddies asked the question as to what the teachers unions are doing - the poster basically suggested they were doing nothing.

I responded by saying all I could see was a refusal to accept another pay rise.

What is incorrect about that?

Correction : I was a bit wrong. The unions raised a request in early December for an extra 2 days holidays becuse of stress on teachers (since their last holiday in early November).

I don't want closures. I've been very clear about that. I just stated what I think could happen.

Very obvious you have zero skin in the game anyway with the way you approach this topic.

The parents in our school voted with their actions before Christmas about what they thought of the government approach. I highly suspect something similar may occur next week.

My only skin in the game is the provision of education to family members.

And e learning does not, in my opinion cut it.

And let’s see next week what parents do if the schools remain open - as I believe they should.

And let’s see next week what parents do if the schools remain open - as I believe they should.

So will you be ringing Joe and tweeting Ciara to give out if we end up with the English scenario which is pretty much what I think could occur here?

God knows what you will say if we were to end up with exams cancelled which we already know will be happening in Scotland and Wales. It won't but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

You directly experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Please ignore any muppets that may be posting. It's obvious they're stirring and also know **** all about schools.

So will you be ringing Joe and tweeting Ciara to give out if we end up with the English scenario which is pretty much what I think could occur here?

Not at all.

I will accept whatever decision the govt make. I may not agree with it, but there you go. I didn’t agree at all with the decision to cancel the leaving cert - imho it was the worst decision made in the whole crisis. But a weak minister was spooked - i dont know by whom- and he caved in.

As for the English scenario, I’m not sure what you are referring to. There is a debate going on over there, not dissimilar to here. Interestingly the Ed sec there has opined that one of his worries if he delays opening schools he will find it impossible later to do so.

I don’t know, but I sense the same thinking may be exercising the minds of the des here.

alroley wrote: »
    You directly experienced this?

Yes. I teach part time and moved to zoom in March last year. No comparison.

And data from U.K. shows that the more deprived kids suffer more from e learning.

English scenario is that primary goes back and just the exam years at secondary. Rest online. Initially for a week but that is to be determined.

SAGE has sent three letters asking for schools to be shut and the opposition and unions are being quite loud in asking for the government to publish the evidence to back up their position and approach in ignoring the requests from SAGE.

English scenario is that primary goes back and just the exam years at secondary. Rest online. Initially for a week but that is to be determined.

SAGE has sent three letters asking for schools to be shut and the opposition and unions are being quite loud in asking for the government to publish the evidence to back up their position and approach in ignoring the requests from SAGE.

It will be interesting to see what transpires there.

But I also think the scenario here may well be different. M Martin seems totally wedded to the concept of keeping schools open. I also feel he genuinely believes it is the correct thing to do. Maybe Leo might close, but Martin? Not so sure.

• Advertisement

It will be interesting to see what transpires there.

But I also think the scenario here may well be different. M Martin seems totally wedded to the concept of keeping schools open. I also feel he genuinely believes it is the correct thing to do. Maybe Leo might close, but Martin? Not so sure.

Maybe the newcomer of the year might actually find her voice and stand up for her students and employees who actually do the job.

Maybe the newcomer of the year might actually find her voice and stand up for her students and employees who actually do the job.

Standing up for her students and standing up for her employees may not be one and the same thing.

Standing up for her students and standing up for her employees may not be one and the same thing.

Ohh it is when it comes to their and their loved ones safety.

Ohh it is when it comes to their and their loved ones safety.

The proof of this will lie in the pudding.

And that will be tested in January when, if schools are open, how many parents keep their kids at home.

Some will obviously. But for those hoping to close our schools, looking at claremorris where almost 100% of kids were kept at home, keeping them at home for 2 days before Christmas is a very different matter to keeping them at home indefinitely from January.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

INTO General Secretary John Boyle has written to Minister Foley calling for a delayed reopening of our schools.

khalessi wrote: »
    INTO General Secretary John Boyle has written to Minister Foley calling for a delayed reopening of our schools.

So they want the primary schools shut as well?

Go have a read before you just jump in. Inform yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Who are "they" Wilbert?

Blondini wrote: »
    Who are "they" Wilbert?

Into. They’re the ones who wrote the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hey fellow teachers

Just something that has been running through my mind this evening.

During the last week in school, one of my students tested positive for Covid-19.

I won't go into the full details, but on the day the student went for a test, myself and another student in the class had handled the same book at the student who tested positive.

I couldn't swear on it, but I'd be sure that I sanitised my hands afterwards as I do it religiously. Upon learning of the positive diagnosis, I related the full story to my principal.

My principal decided neither I nor the other student were close contacts because we were "probably grand". My principal seemed to be of the view that since specific guidance about the handling of copybooks and taking up work for correction hadn't been given by the govt, that it must be okay to handle them :eek::eek:

While I see where the principal was coming from (there was minimal touching) I'm just wondering that, if we do reopen in January with this 70% more transmissible variant on the loose, should we not be getting updated guidelines from the government?

I know, I know, Covid doesn't exist in schools, lol, But seriously, should we not be asking for updated guidelines from the dept of Ed?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement