Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid in Schools

1343536373840»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

It’s actually two and a half School days in a lot of secondary schools

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Tpcl20

If you're on that facebook group alerting parents to cases in schools you'll be able to see this album:

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=4877613685645582&set=pcb.683276175704195

Forty people who were not deemed close contacts by the HSE, not tested or not counted in their school numbers. This, to me, is the biggest scandal of the pandemic so far and it's the reason they were left with no other choice but to remain closed until the 11th with a review of hospital capacity, school safety and community levels of covid after that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭ethical

...and some little sh1t over on the Journal looking for PUP payments for teachers already....little does it/he/she know that many would be better off on PUP payments!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

ethical wrote: »
    ...and some little sh1t over on the Journal looking for PUP payments for teachers already....little does it/he/she know that many would be better off on PUP payments!

I wouldnt mind going on PUP at all, it’s preferable to going back to online teaching, I hated it and it took so much time !! The PUP would cover my mortgage, I wouldn’t need much to live on once that was paid !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Uneducated little sh!ts who believe everything they see on Facebook, Twitter and Reddit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

solerina wrote: »
    I wouldnt mind going on PUP at all, it’s preferable to going back to online teaching, I hated it and it took so much time !! The PUP would cover my mortgage, I wouldn’t need much to live on once that was paid !!

PUP wouldn’t be ideal but we’d manage - like yourself online was head wrecking and added to the bile and vitriol across the media , social media and smart arse remarks in real life from a few wfh friends who seemed to spend more time watching netflix and online shopping really knocked my gra for teaching. So PUP and netflix doesn’t seem too bad in comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

How many teachers earn less than €18,200?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If they aren't made up can you imagine the media backlash and the rubbish online. Just easier to give them back.

But sure what do they know?It isn't down to the individual teachers to defend it, best off ignoring the empty vessels.
    I am not a teacher.By the way.
    But as a parent I expect nothing from my child's teacher those days, nor will I be counting the rest of the days in the year to see are they made up.As I said I will just be happy if they actually reopen on the 11th.If (when) they don't, then I might be looking to see what the story is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Tpcl20 wrote: »
    NOW PLEASE LET'S GET A SYSTEM OF BLENDED LEARNING IN PLACE???

CAPS NECESSARY BECAUSE I'M SCREAMING THIS

If the Dept of Ed was capable of doing this they'd have done it by now. It's not like they didn't have plenty of notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭yankinlk

In the private sector when online became the only vehicle to do my job... it was the workers not the managers that innovated a solution to keep working.

Is there any effort from teachers to work on a solution? Genuine question. Its been over 6 months... would expect at least some schools would be leading by example. Is it happening?

• Advertisement

yankinlk wrote: »
    In the private sector when online became the only vehicle to do my job... it was the workers not the managers that innovated a solution to keep working.

Is there any effort from teachers to work on a solution? Genuine question. Its been over 6 months... would expect at least some schools would be leading by example. Is it happening?

Any school/teacher I'm aware of has a system in place since September and have been using it for the likes of homework so that parents and kids are familiar with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The honest answer to this is no. There is no official guidance from DES and many teachers I know will not do online as they feel unable to understand the technology and they are also afraid that they will have their images and materials used in unintended ways.

I’ll get attacked for this but it is the fact on the ground.

Edited to say that there is absolutely no sanction possible against a teacher who refuses to go online. We have received Union advice on this. Absolutely nothing the principal or DES can do. This was proven March-June and no teacher was sanctioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My school and others have had online teaching on the go since September. It is going well so far. My school had it working very well last year but have made improvements.

THe government was asked to set up a central pool of resources and we were told something was being worked on but it never evolved.

khalessi wrote: »
    My school and others have had online teaching on the go since September. It is going well so far.

THe government was asked to set up a central pool of resources and we were told something was being worked on but it never evolved.

Our principal asks us every week how things are going with our online interaction. I can't understand how any teacher can be allowed not do it.

If you can send an email or own a smartphone then you have the ability to conduct even the most basic of online lessons. I've an IT degree and kept things really simple for last year's class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Rosita

Extraordinary question. Do you seriously think that individual teachers haven't been using their own equipment and resources for all this already?!

The point you are missing is that every day when we go in we are required to carry out Dept of Ed initiatives, many futile, many embarrassingly wide of reality. Now here we have a huge foreseeable issue which is fundamental to doing the job and the Dept of Ed has no view or no strategy.

I've been operating some kind of online presence with classes for probably a decade. But never heard Jack from the Dept of Ed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Any school/teacher I'm aware of has a system in place since September and have been using it for the likes of homework so that parents and kids are familiar with it.

Parent here. 100% to this. Our Secondary School did really well Mar-June online. Since September they upped their game.
    Primary was good enough but again since September Thanks to an excellent Teacher, we have had pretty much all homework online on a new Platform since then.
    If the Schools need to go online for a period of time in the New Year then we are ready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,675 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The honest answer to this is no. There is no official guidance from DES and many teachers I know will not do online as they feel unable to understand the technology and they are also afraid that they will have their images and materials used in unintended ways.

"No official guidance from the DES" - that is very bad.

"many teachers I know will not do online as they feel unable to understand the technology"

I support teachers, but I can't accept this, they are paid up to 70k, they are not being asked to build a nuclear reactor.

"they are also afraid that they will have their images and materials used in unintended ways", a fair point, yes, but there are solutions to this issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Bells21

In my own school we have been working with the kids to teach skills needed to access online platforms.
    Other side of the coin, many households don't have an appropriate device/number of devices for this to actually work.

Geuze wrote: »

"many teachers I know will not do online as they feel unable to understand the technology"

I support teachers, but I can't accept this, they are paid up to 70k, they are not being asked to build a nuclear reactor.

"they are also afraid that they will have their images and materials used in unintended ways", a fair point, yes, but there are solutions to this issue.

That poster is describing what they themselves did during lockdown one. They didn't teach their students. That poster freely admitted same on here. They blamed others rather than be the role model that their students deserve yet they feel that they can come on here and lecture us about others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

The problem with blended or online learning is still the same as it always was. It's not fair.

You have very good teachers , well able to adjust, and you have poorly equiped teachers unable/unwilling to adjust.

You have very supportive families, well equipped with laptops, full time available parents or even hired tutors, and internet, and you have the opposite for whom participating is impossible. No laptops or internet, parents off their heads on drink, or scrambling over 6 other rowdy young people in a single room or caravan.

And you have everything else a school provides for society and children, like social services and intervention ,meals, vaccination programs, eye checks etc.

Something we do really well in ireland is our progressive schools which have equal access to high quality education at the heart of it.

It is bringing our society back to a place where the poor get a substandard education to do blended or online teaching, especially in a haphazard way. Completely erodes what we have created here. Back to hedge schools and governesses? no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Geuze wrote: »

My school and others have had online systems on the go since last March which worked very well. We have mead improvements on it for this year and the chldren have been using it successfully since September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 331 ✭✭Alex86Eire

If we're going to be teaching online my school will be ready for it I think. All staff (~80) and students have received training in using our online learning platform. Students have been submitting all of their work on it since September. Most people have practiced video teaching over the past few months. I assume the school would be open so we'd be able to use the school WiFi. Obviously some students are disadvantaged and may not be able to access the content.

We knew there was a possibility that we'd be teaching from home again. A lot of teachers really don't like online teaching (myself included) but there is no excuse for refusing to teach online. I'd be very surprised if that claim on the previous page is true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭lulublue22

That poster is describing what they themselves did during lockdown one. They didn't teach their students. That poster freely admitted same on here. They blamed others rather than be the role model that their students deserve yet they feel that they can come on here and lecture us about others.

I’m stuck on the 70 k a year. What teacher earns 70k a year outside possibly of principals? I came,as most of my colleagues did , to teaching late. Are we talking about those who went straight to teaching and have clocked up nearly 40 years at this stage?

pwurple wrote: »
    The problem with blended or online learning is still the same as it always was. It's not fair.

You have very good teachers , well able to adjust, and you have poorly equiped teachers unable/unwilling to adjust.

You have very supportive families, well equipped with laptops, full time available parents or even hired tutors, and internet, and you have the opposite for whom participating is impossible. No laptops or internet, parents off their heads on drink, or scrambling over 6 other rowdy young people in a single room or caravan.

And you have everything else a school provides for society and children, like social services and intervention ,meals, vaccination programs, eye checks etc.

Something we do really well in ireland is our progressive schools which have equal access to high quality education at the heart of it.

It is bringing our society back to a place where the poor get a substandard education to do blended or online teaching, especially in a haphazard way. Completely erodes what we have created here. Back to hedge schools and governesses? no thanks.

My one hope is that the inevitable online experience for some will be short lived. I do not know of one teacher who actually wants this but at this point in time it really is needed.

lulublue22 wrote: »
    I’m stuck on the 70 k a year. What teacher earns 70k a year outside possibly of principals? I came,as most of my colleagues did , to teaching late. Are we talking about those who went straight to teaching and have clocked up nearly 40 years at this stage?

I'll always say that the bonus for my final quarter in my private sector job was more than I could ever earn in a year in teaching even as being a principal at the top of the scale. Money isn't a factor when considering teaching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

This is starting to spiral into a pay and conditions chat. I suggest you go to the Coronavirus forum as a full discussion on COVID in schools will be debated there. Thread closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement