Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog pees in house at night if not in crate

• 03-09-2020 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Sorry - its long. The title sums it up but full details below for context.

My lovely 12 month old retriever was crate trained when I got her at 5 months but not properly toilet trained. It took a couple of months to get her to ask to go outside to pee, and even up to recently, if you didn't respond to her fast enough she would pee inside. I had never had a crate trained dog before but I went with it and she sleeps the night there happily enough. She never bothers with the crate during the day.
    For the first couple of months she used to bark in the morning and I would get up and let her out, but this soon turned in to a game for her and I would be chasing her around the garden at 4am. She never did this in her old home apparently. So (on advice from a trainer) we ignored the barking and eventually she settled down and is well able to go the night without needing to pee (12 - 7/7.30ish). She was great for the last few months.
    I have made a couple of attempts to move her on from the crate because it is huge and takes up half the kitchen and I don't want to have to take it everywhere we go. What happens though, if I leave the cage open at night (she is confined to the kitchen), she sometimes barks (could be any time of night) and if I don't go down to her she will pee on the floor. The next night she won't bother barking and just pees on the floor. We have put her back in the cage again for the last couple of nights and she has barked the house down all over again. Can anyone offer me any advice please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

cinnabar wrote: »

My lovely 12 month old retriever was crate trained when I got her at 5 months but not properly toilet trained. It took a couple of months to get her to ask to go outside to pee, and even up to recently, if you didn't respond to her fast enough she would pee inside. I had never had a crate trained dog before but I went with it and she sleeps the night there happily enough. She never bothers with the crate during the day.
    For the first couple of months she used to bark in the morning and I would get up and let her out, but this soon turned in to a game for her and I would be chasing her around the garden at 4am. She never did this in her old home apparently. So (on advice from a trainer) we ignored the barking and eventually she settled down and is well able to go the night without needing to pee (12 - 7/7.30ish). She was great for the last few months.
    I have made a couple of attempts to move her on from the crate because it is huge and takes up half the kitchen and I don't want to have to take it everywhere we go. What happens though, if I leave the cage open at night (she is confined to the kitchen), she sometimes barks (could be any time of night) and if I don't go down to her she will pee on the floor. The next night she won't bother barking and just pees on the floor. We have put her back in the cage again for the last couple of nights and she has barked the house down all over again. Can anyone offer me any advice please?

She was well trained, and safe with that routine. If you make a radical change you need to be totally consistent not changing back and forth. Of course she is upset?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

cinnabar wrote: »

For the first couple of months she used to bark in the morning and I would get up and let her out, but this soon turned in to a game for her and I would be chasing her around the garden at 4am.

Put her on the lead, be very quiet, just a command of "Go pee" and back inside. Don't allow it to become fun. It's a loo break and that's all. Have you had her checked for a urinary infection? She may be uncomfortable if she's a bit poorly.

Advertisement