Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's your favourite Irish person of all time and why?

• 03-09-2020 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Erranged

Mine is Paul McGrath

Because of his class

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Deranged. More like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Jack Charlton

• Registered Users Posts: 9,849 ✭✭✭buried

Stephen O'Malley

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

That's easy. John Hume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Joey Dunlop because of his abilities on a bike, his humble ways and his humanitarian work that he never once advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Fr dougal McGuire. A great priest and pillar of the Catholic community. He helped a local priest win the golden cleric.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Five Eighth

.anon. wrote: »
    That's easy. John Hume.
    Totally agree. Refer to thread on John Hume's legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Aul Mr. Brennan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

My son, because he's my son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

A very hard question or a very easy one if we can mention our family members

• Advertisement

Vestiapx wrote: »
    My son, because he's my son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Des Kelly the carpet man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Bosco and Dustin the Turkey... Happy days and simpler times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Me Ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Robert Mugabe . Great fcucking Craic for a game of pool and a few beers. HON THE BOBBY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

Barrack O Bama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can include myself when deliberating this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Tom Crean proven hard as nails guy who saw parts of the world most of us will never see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Fortycoats

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

My dad.
    Easy answer but true. Would have been 100 next year!

• Advertisement

Yeah fair play to Tom Crean too, him going out there at that time was akin to lads going walking on the moon a few decades later. For some people probably still is.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭13Ballymore

Dr Noel Browne

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Me Ma

Your ma's your oul one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Grot bags

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

Fook that celebrity worship.

My Wife #1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Ryan Tubridy.

For the uniquely punchable irish head on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

E mac wrote: »
    Tom Crean proven hard as nails guy who saw parts of the world most of us will never see.

Must have had balls a big as Jupiter to undertake THREE separate expeditions to the Antarctic. He did the three and was actually away on expeditions for nine years in total. That’s mind blowing.. over 1901-1917 the three expeditions... back then, no googmaps, no internet, iPads, satellite phones, no anything apart from yourself, friends and resourcefulness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Brother Kevin Crowley of the Capuchin day centre for homeless people.

He does what I could not do, would not do. He does it selflessly and without ego. Unlike some of his counterparts in other housing charities, he seeks no limelight, stays out of politics, has spent his entire life dedicated to the care of others.

I'm not religious, but the fact he is, is irrelevant to me. He is the best of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,005 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Larbre34 wrote: »

He does what I could not do, would not do. He does it selflessly and without ego. Unlike some of his counterparts in other housing charities, he seeks no limelight, stays out of politics, has spent his entire life dedicated to the care of others.

I'm not religious, but the fact he is, is irrelevant to me. He is the best of us.

My Aunt works there and she’d concur 100%. His predecessor the late Fr Leonard Coughlan too was an absolute gent and a giant amongst men for the selfless work they are their teams did and do... for anybody who thinks that superheroes are just in Hollywood movies and comic books, just get yourself down to church st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭E mac

Strumms wrote: »
    Must have had balls a big as Jupiter to undertake THREE separate expeditions to the Antarctic. He did the three and was actually away on expeditions for nine years in total. That’s mind blowing.. over 1901-1917 the three expeditions... back then, no googmaps, no internet, iPads, satellite phones, no anything apart from yourself, friends and resourcefulness.

Part of what I admire about him is also what is frustrating...he never spoke about his time at sea. What stories he must have had. Although I suppose he'd be wasted on us on the late late .."was it very cold in the Antarctic ?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Me.
    Because I have to look after and love myself.

Apart from that, John Hume didn't seem bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

James Joyce.

Larbre34 wrote: »

Good call

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭rodders999

Mr. Tayto

Constance Markievicz. A true trailblazer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭French Toast

Nally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

.anon. wrote: »
    That's easy. John Hume.

This but as others have mentioned Joey Dunlop (probably didn't identify as Irish) was an incredible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭circadian

No shout outs for Matress Mick? He's an advertising genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Arthur Wellesley. Military and Political genius. Commander in chief of the military in three countries UK, Spain and Portugal. Field Marshal in 5 other armies. Then served twice as Prime Minister and brought in Catholic Emancipation in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

It's a draw between Hud Hastings and Gaint Reed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Columbanus would be up there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Big Joe Joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Trevor Jordache.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Wibbs wrote: »
    Columbanus would be up there.

...and Columba, so. It's just that Columbanus had a continental air to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

George Bernard Shaw, he was a great proponent of vegetarianism. Am I a vegetarian? No. I do however like his plays, but does that even make sense? Hardly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

In the past? a toss up between James Connolly and Michael Collins.

In recent times? John Hume.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Liamo57

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Big Joe Joyce

I agree wholehatedly. Big Joe rises at 5 wach morning, spends an hour on the punchbag, gives the wife a length before heading off to work and 8 hours of hard graft to feed his 10 children. Home at 6, daily rosary before sitting down with the family for dinner and off to bed to try and produce another heir to the throne and up again to start a new day. God bless you Joe. King of the KNa.....sorry, tinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Tom Crean, lived an extraordinary life and put it all away to appreciate one of the simplest/humblest of existence afterwards.

That's true humility and class. To live such a filled life, for yourself and no one else.

Liamo57 wrote: »
    I agree wholehatedly. Big Joe rises at 5 wach morning, spends an hour on the punchbag, gives the wife a length before heading off to work and 8 hours of hard graft to feed his 10 children. Home at 6, daily rosary before sitting down with the family for dinner and off to bed to try and produce another heir to the throne and up again to start a new day. God bless you Joe. King of the KNa.....sorry, tinkers.

"work" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Bono. For being a great singer, frontman and representative of the country long before it was cool.

• Advertisement
Advertisement