Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faulty bicycle

Options
  • 04-09-2020 6:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Hope you may be able to help.

I purchased a brand name, several hundred euro hybrid bicycle last year from a bike shop near me.

Since the purchase last year, I have had continuous issues with spokes breaking off the rear wheel, and have brought it back to the shop several times since, where ever after fitting a replacement wheel, the same issues are occurring.

The retailer are being less than helpful, stating that they'll replace the wheel again as a "gesture of goodwill". They have also previously told me "we can't keep fixing it for free, you know" as if the issue was being caused by myself and they were dojng me a favour! This was said to me after having to bring the bike back with the same issue for the fifth time...

These issues are not just annoying, but also a safety concern as the spokes can get trapped in the wheel and if I was going downhill for example at the time, it could cause an accident.

The retailer is now blaming wear and tear but I don't find this normal for a year old bike which I only use for commuting to work on paved surfaces (bear in mind it's a hybrid too)

Other family members have similar older models from a few years ago and have never once had a spoke break, with similar usage patterns.

The most recent incident was where I collected the bike once again from the shop, with the spoke repaired, and after just a week and 2x rides on the bikes, the spoke came off again. They also fitted a new tyre without me asking and charged me 50 euro for it, saying it would be better...

I am curious if the same consumer rights apply in this case, as in the retailer has had several opportunities to repair the bike and it's still faulty. I was under the impression any repair must be permanent and after that (3 times) a replacement or refund should occur, is this the case here too?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

At this point you are probably entitled to a replacement or refund I doubt the shop will co-operate. Probably best to take the 'goodwill' repair and hope that sorts it at this stage as doing so only strengthens your position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

At this point you are probably entitled to a replacement or refund I doubt the shop will co-operate. Probably best to take the 'goodwill' repair and hope that sorts it at this stage as doing so only strengthens your position.

Thanks. I'm happy to do that but if that still doesn't remedy the issue it'll have to be a replacement / refund, worst case scenario small claims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sounds like a poor quality wheel. upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was the replacement wheel of exactly the same type? It would sound as if it is unsuitable for the bike and/or your usage of it - but if that is within what its designed for it still means its unsuitable.

I would be looking for a completely different manufacturer of wheel.

L1011 wrote: »
    Was the replacement wheel of exactly the same type? It would sound as if it is unsuitable for the bike and/or your usage of it - but if that is within what its designed for it still means its unsuitable.

I would be looking for a completely different manufacturer of wheel.

It was yes.
    That's what I'm thinking. But they keep insisting it's something else, and / or my fault. Frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi OP, who is the manufacture of the bike?

stevek93 wrote: »
    Hi OP, who is the manufacture of the bike?

Trek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Trek

That’s very surprising, you are in my opinion definitely entitled to a refund at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Personal question but how much do you weigh?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

How exactly is Trek a top brand of bicycle? Majority of bicycles are just steel/aluminium/fibreglass frames built with mostly Shimano parts bolted on.

I’ve seen more Trek frames stripped and dumped outside peoples gates than the likes of Townsend, Raleigh, Peugeot etc combined.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,233 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

What sorta dodgy area do you live in where you see so many stripped bikes at peoples gates?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

How exactly is Trek a top brand of bicycle? Majority of bicycles are just steel/aluminium/fibreglass frames built with mostly Shimano parts bolted on.

Trek is considered a decent brand,
    You're welcome to post on the cycling forum to ask them for their view.,
    I’ve seen more Trek frames stripped and dumped outside peoples gates than the likes of Townsend, Raleigh, Peugeot etc combined.

So you've basically said its a popular brand that scumbags like to steal or strip for parts. They must be in demand so...because they are considered decent.

Good job?
    :rolleyes::pac:

Advertisement