Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda apologizing to company in HSE Ventilator case

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No, I think that is separate. The company youre referring to is called Roqu Media International Ltd. The HSE paid them €14 million for ventilators that haven't been used yet, due to issues with the quality. The company had no previous trading history previous to the HSE ventilator deal.

Link: --> https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191468.html

jesus that is just massive incompetency. Its one thing to be desperate for ventilators but quite another thing to be paying 14 million of cash up front and then ending up with just 72 ventilators that dont work despite 200 being on the contract. Do these people not know how to write a procurement contract that stipulates what is supplied has to actually work? And not one single head will roll over it either.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    jesus that is just massive incompetency. Its one thing to be desperate for ventilators but quite another thing to be paying 14 million of cash up front and then ending up with just 72 ventilators that dont work despite 200 being on the contract. Do these people not know how to write a procurement contract that stipulates what is supplied has to actually work? And not one single head will roll over it either.

The question that has to be asked is why did an Irish company that organises music festivals in the Middle East get a €14 million contract to import ventilators for the HSE. Why wasn't a company with a medical background selected instead?

If I need parts for a jumbo jet, Im not going to ask Louis Walsh to source them for me.

The question that has to be asked is why did an Irish company that organises music festivals in the Middle East get a €14 million contract to import ventilators for the HSE. Why wasn't a company with a medical background selected instead?

If I need parts for a jumbo jet, Im not going to ask Louis Walsh to source them for me.

yeah its bizarre stuff, I mean did they do any due diligence at all? A simple search of the company would have told them that they are a music promoter with absolutely nothing to do with medical equipment. Can you just imagine the conversation between HSE employees when they discovered this 'ah yeah sure it will be grand' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The man behind that company is also the individual behind the "world's first health passport "

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The man behind that company is also the individual behind the "world's first health passport "
    He is also an ex IDA director, which is why he was chosen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

From my reading of articles, that company was chosen because of their expertise in logistics and not their expertise in medical equipment. By all accounts they handled the logistics quite well, i.e. they got the stuff from the point of origin into the country.

No point getting the logistics right if what youre buying is unusable and a waste of 14 million quid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

deandean wrote: »
    From my reading of articles, that company was chosen because of their expertise in logistics and not their expertise in medical equipment. By all accounts they handled the logistics quite well, i.e. they got the stuff from the point of origin into the country.

So from 'do we not have medical supply importers?' to 'do we not have importers?', makes it even worse IMO. However if he's ex IDA, likely a nice earner and who ever threw him the contract made on it too.

Apparently they didn't get the logistics right. From the main article:

In an invitation to the media to attend the arrival of the "fourth and final" delivery into Shannon on April 25, Roqu said that 100 ventilators had already arrived into Ireland, with a further 100 due on the impending flight.

That transport was eventually cancelled "due to technical difficulties with the flight", according to Roqu.

At the time of the contract, Roqu Media International Limited had current assets of just €122 and no trading history, per its 2018 accounts.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191468.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Apparently they didn't get the logistics right. From the main article:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40191468.html

Totally crony con. It should be investigated. People should be sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

I stand corrected ��

Masks deal fell through when Heroes Aid learned Irish media company was middleman.
    A deal to bring 150,000 masks to Ireland from China foundered after a fundraising group discovered that the €108,000 bill was payable to Irish festival management company Roqu Media International rather than a Chinese wholesaler.

Roqu, a company paid €14.1 million by the HSE to import ventilators from China, had offered masks to Covid fundraisers Heroes Aid at a cost of €0.72 per unit.

Heroes Aid, a group led by Co Galway public health nurse and former city councillor **** *****, had liaised with Mr. ******, a Cork native with knowledge of Chinese supply lines and markets, to bring the Type II R surgical masks to Ireland in mid-April.

The group had initially worked with Conor McGregor to distribute €1.5 million in Personal Protective Equipment [PPE] that the MMA fighter had purchased to Irish hospitals in April 2020, at a time of a global PPE shortage.

Some €200,000 was subsequently received by the group via fundraising and direct donations, which led to its contact with Roqu via Mr ******.

However, when an invoice was requested from Mr ****** by Heroes Aid volunteer **** ******, he responded with a document payable to Irish-based Roqu.

“Every invoice I’d seen up to this point had been coming from the factory in China,” Mr Leddin said. “Why would we pay an Irish company we’d never heard of €100,000 of money donated by the public?”

Mr ****** did not respond to the Irish Examiner's request for comment.

Link: -->https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40200264.html

deandean wrote: »

We're not exactly in the era of Vasco de Gama, plenty of companies are capable of getting complicated machinery here. It must be a common occurrence.

Sounds like panic buying. Can somewhat understand that, but why not use a trusted source? There has to be a reason the experienced guys couldn't source the stuff.

Advertisement