Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Brexit - licencing

Options
  • 04-09-2020 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭

a Brexit related query:

A person who lives in the north and has a UK driving licence but they currently drive commercial vehicles for a company in the south. Will they still be able to do this with their UK licence after the 31st of December?

Note: They cannot change their licence to an Irish licence as they are not resident in the south.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭kaahooters

theyll hold a licence from outside the eu, so i think theyll need an international licence as a minimum, once the employeer agrees to it and can get insutance ect ect.

will this person not have issues with tax and keeping the job as there outside the eu ? i havent kept up with the latest on this, thats why im asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

kaahooters wrote: »
    theyll hold a licence from outside the eu, so i think theyll need an international licence as a minimum, once the employeer agrees to it and can get insutance ect ect.

will this person not have issues with tax and keeping the job as there outside the eu ? i havent kept up with the latest on this, thats why im asking.

He is registered with Revenue to their home address in the north and then he makes a declaration to HMRC each year. HMRC then claim the taxes from Revenue - all above board and correct I believe.

His main issue is around the licencing post brexit - it seems to be a grey area still.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Long and the short of it nobody knows as it all depends on the negotiations between the EU and the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Long and the short of it nobody knows as it all depends on the negotiations between the EU and the UK.

It's looking more like a full on hard Brexit because the Brits are playing hardball and the EU want it sorted by mid October so it can be ratified in time. A shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Northern Ireland residents will possibly have special status in relation to the South after Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,582 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Potentially all sorts can happen, worst case they may additionally need a work permit being a non EU citizen. It's one big mess, hopefully with the north being a sort of no mans land we can take advantage of it down here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Potentially all sorts can happen, worst case they may additionally need a work permit being a non EU citizen. It's one big mess, hopefully with the north being a sort of no mans land we can take advantage of it down here.

the arrangements between Ireland and Britain in regards to right to work and reside are independent of the EU and existed long before EU came into being.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

the arrangements between Ireland and Britain in regards to right to work and reside are independent of the EU and existed long before EU came into being.

But this thread is not about the right to work and reside, it is about the driving licence.

The Brits are really playing hard-ball. If that man wants to keep his job, he'll need a Irish licence.

No matter what licence he has, he won't be much use to his Irish employer anyway; sitting in checkpoints trying to get and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

salonfire wrote: »
    But this thread is not about the right to work and reside, it is about the driving licence.

I was responding to a post that mentioned work permits.

Advertisement