Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

septictank wrote: »
    The food thing in pubs is probably like Dublin, buy a portion of chicken wings and chips and your sorted, leave half behind, off to the next spot.
    Between 4 it doesn't break the bank.
    septictank wrote: »
    Dublin numbers were crap today.

Perhaps the high number of cases in Dublin has something to do with the dodgy behaviour outlined in your first comment above?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Being a front line worker then they should know better, for a few weeks we have been asked to keep our contacts low. Going on a pub crawl during a pandemic in multiple cities is idiotic to say the least. Tell them to grow up and have some cop on.

These are the people that are making it hard for other pubs to open and keeping people out of jobs.

You are being trolled

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So approx what % of Galway city pubs are still closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I wonder will many pubs open in the city for the outdoor customers on June the 7th?

• Advertisement

Many open already really. Had a couple of nice outdoor pints over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

Many open already really.

really

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

akelly02 wrote: »
    really

Yeah, quite a few doing take away drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

All pubs are currently allowed to sell take away pints few open in Salthill over the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Wiggywiggle

Any pubs in oranmore doing takeaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Cork man invading the thread sorry lads and ladies.

Heading to Galway for the first weekend when the euros is on.

Any recommended pubs with outdoor areas with seating that will show the football?

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

unplayable wrote: »
    Cork man invading the thread sorry lads and ladies.

Heading to Galway for the first weekend when the euros is on.

Any recommended pubs with outdoor areas with seating that will show the football?

Thanks in advance.
    Pucan be your best shout for watching the Euros outside, problem is it books up real fast and most likely be two hours or less time slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭dockysher

dockysher wrote: »
    Pucan be your best shout for watching the Euros outside, problem is it books up real fast and most likely be two hours or less time slots.

Just remembered murty rabbits down past pucan has good outdoor screen as well. Watched a few games there when they were last open outside. Be same craic tho with booking time slots

Many open already really. Had a couple of nice outdoor pints over the weekend.

Do you mean open, with outdoor seating?

dockysher wrote: »

Why do you think it will be 2 hour time slots? I would have thought that will be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

finbarrk wrote: »
    Why do you think it will be 2 hour time slots? I would have thought that will be gone.

I imagine most places serving food will have some sort of time slot,there's no legal requirement or not Covid related but if there is massive demand they will want people having food and scoops then out the door,rather than just sipping pints,rinse and repeat.The have to maximise the space.

Do you mean open, with outdoor seating?

No I mean find your own seating/standing spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Like the last time restrictions were lifted, Galway seems to be one of the main spots people are flocking to. Could be good for businesses but risky for the rest of us. Hopefully if Galway spikes again, it'll just be a concentrated lockdown here and we won't be dragging everyone else down with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Storm 10

HBC08 wrote: »
    I imagine most places serving food will have some sort of time slot,there's no legal requirement or not Covid related but if there is massive demand they will want people having food and scoops then out the door,rather than just sipping pints,rinse and repeat.The have to maximise the space.

Leo was on RTE News and said this time around there will be no time restrictions as to how long you can stay in a Restaurant or Pub when they open there will also be no need to purchase a meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

As it's Ireland, if the same group stays put, chances are it will be more efficient to let them stay and keep drinking. Of course there may be the odd group sitting over a pint, but they will be the minority I'd say. They would be more likely to sit over chips tbh. Lots of places seem to be saying first come first served too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,396 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I see there are plans to close some parking areas / street, to allow more outdoor hospitality:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/facelift-for-galway-and-limerick-as-outdoor-dining-plans-unveiled-40446587.html

"So far over 100 business in Galway city have applied for licences to trade outdoors which are under review.

Streets include Dominick Street and William Street, The Small Crane, Ravens Terrace, Forster street, Woodquay and Salthill village."

Dominick street seems like a difficult one to close? Unless they mean only Upper Dominick, the narrow section?

Ravens Terrace - makes sense

Woodquay - I can see that, six pubs plus other food places

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Geuze wrote: »
    I see there are plans to close some parking areas / street, to allow more outdoor hospitality:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/facelift-for-galway-and-limerick-as-outdoor-dining-plans-unveiled-40446587.html

"So far over 100 business in Galway city have applied for licences to trade outdoors which are under review.

Streets include Dominick Street and William Street, The Small Crane, Ravens Terrace, Forster street, Woodquay and Salthill village."

Dominick street seems like a difficult one to close? Unless they mean only Upper Dominick, the narrow section?

Ravens Terrace - makes sense

Woodquay - I can see that, six pubs plus other food places

Dominic St is both ends, there's time constraints on one, assuming the Aniar one. It was in the Advertiser last week I think.

More portaloos are needed, outdoor dining isn't even official yet but queues of 20+ for most of this evening at Ravens Terrace and I'm guessing it was busier at Spanish Arch.

Good community spirit around in the good weather this evening and people going around with bags collecting any rubbish.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Leo was on RTE News and said this time around there will be no time restrictions as to how long you can stay in a Restaurant or Pub when they open there will also be no need to purchase a meal.

I don't think you understood my post.

No time limit.
    https://www.irishpost.com/news/no-time-limit-and-no-substantial-meal-required-when-pubs-reopen-leo-varadkar-212838

Sigh,
    I said in my post (a one sentence post) that there would be no time limit required by law or by Covid restrictions (Leo then confirms exactly this the next day)
    My point was some pubs in my opinion that rely heavily on food trade also may impose a time limit as they make more money on people eating and drinking than drinking only or eating and then sipping pints for hours afterwards. There will be high enough demand for some to do this and maximise profits,some restaraunts have done it for years, ie "we need the table back at 8" etc
    It won't be all pubs by any means but it might be some.Also I wouldn't be arsed going to anywhere that might do this but that's beside the point.
    I really can't make the point any clearer and hope you can understand it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

An Pucan seem to be enforcing the 1.5 hour time slot, and you can only reserve seating for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Laviski

Sounds fair to me, annoying yes but still fair given the circumstances that places that serve food would have a time limit in place, given that they will have limited places.

If people want to just go drinking, go to a "wet pub" instead. It's full? Get takeaway pints.

Fitz* wrote: »
    An Pucan seem to be enforcing the 1.5 hour time slot, and you can only reserve seating for food.

Their booking system is for meals only but they also have tables for drinking - "Drink only tables are available on a first come first serve basis". No booking so presumably no time limits if you get a spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement