Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop the daily numbers. Make it weekly instead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

I think some ppl like statistics/maths others don't.

Not wanting to avail of these stats with accuracy can only put you in the other category than me ... I do think the officials should do their jobs reporting on this daily on whatever medias, and individuals can check the stats as frequent as their anxiety allows them.

- don't watch as much TV, or go see someone otherwise if you have a problem with that !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Put the numbers in the app if you want to look at them

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

bush wrote: »
    Put the numbers in the app if you want to look at them

what if you dont use your phone much, dont have a smart phone, or dont have the app installed?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    what if you dont use your phone much, dont have a smart phone, or dont have the app installed?

You could say the same for them being on tv

You could say the same for them being on tv

tv is a more traditional method of communication, it can be far more informative than interacting with a phone, sometimes

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    tv is a more traditional method of communication, it can be far more informative than interacting with a phone, sometimes

People look at their phones a million times a day plus it would encourage using the app

People look at their phones a million times a day plus it would encourage using the app

true, but some people prefer visual and audio based methods of communication, i suspect many older generations do, i personally do myself, as its a better method for me to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

“self-perpetuating cycle of misery”

Durr, what do you expect? It's a pandemic, not a lawn party.
    If you don't want to know the figures, don't go watching the news. Shıtty things happen every single day in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

There are lots of news available on TV/Radio/internet, or wherever. Some of it is bad, some of it is good. The idea that is should somehow be "portioned" so people won't feel sad is strange - if news makes you unhappy, do not watch them.

I feel some people just want to be outraged - nowadays half of the daily Covid thread is filled with "Stephen Donnelly is an idiot" or "this press conference is a joke" or "RTE bring nothing but misery". Yet those people will watch every piece of content. Why? Is someone forcing them to?

Like it was posted earlier, if you want weekly numbers, why not just check them every week?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I think I disagree.

Hiding information during an event like this doesn't seem right?

I do see a lack of clarification though. The system is opaque, and journalists are not asking the right questions.

I asked one of the reporters on twitter to press for an explanation on the backlog, but got no reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Diarmuid wrote: »
    The point is that a large percentage of the public can't help themselves and as a result have driven their anxiety levels through the roof

Well then they're idiots and there's no helping them. If there's one thing I've learned from this pandemic it's that most people are idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I sort of feel personally that the daily numbers sort of keep people focused and if it was only reported once a week some may become complacent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

2 most important things on the telly.
    1 the angelus.
    2 the covid briefings.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭alentejo

On one hand they are suggesting that the daily numbers are dropped for a weekly report. On the other hand they are specifically asking Dubliners to limit contacts this weekend. Can't have it both ways

Absolutely no way should this be allowed to happen.

Can’t believe people would actually want less information and only get weekly numbers. Madness, we need to know daily numbers and they need to be broken down more detailed geographically also imo. None of this nonsense of x cases in a list of about 10 counties. Every county should get a number and it should be done daily.

I want to hear accurate numbers everyday, with analysis and breakdowns by county etc. If you don’t want to know don’t listen for the news most of us actually want to know exactly what’s happening in as close to real time as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I think I disagree.

Hiding information during an event like this doesn't seem right?

I do see a lack of clarification though. The system is opaque, and journalists are not asking the right questions.

I asked one of the reporters on twitter to press for an explanation on the backlog, but got no reply.

Well said - data should always be released in a timely manner which they think they are doing. People on here can see the backlogs and identify the “catchup days” - that needs to be explained.

I don’t think there is any agenda/malice to it, but would love to know the rationale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Well said - data should always be released in a timely manner which they think they are doing. People on here can see the backlogs and identify the “catchup days” - that needs to be explained.

I don’t think there is any agenda/malice to it, but would love to know the rationale.

Typical 'ah shur god luv dem' stuff.
    In short, the public are quite stupid.

They can't budget, can't eat properly, can't cook for themselves, buy a dog for Xmas despite everyone telling them not to, etc now they're freaking out (allegedly) and can't bring themselves to turn off the tv, radio or put down the phone.
    We've raised these helpless people so the only option is everyone else has to be put back a few classes down to their infantile level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

Can’t believe people would actually want less information and only get weekly numbers. Madness, we need to know daily numbers and they need to be broken down more detailed geographically also imo. None of this nonsense of x cases in a list of about 10 counties. Every county should get a number and it should be done daily.

I want to hear accurate numbers everyday, with analysis and breakdowns by county etc. If you don’t want to know don’t listen for the news most of us actually want to know exactly what’s happening in as close to real time as possible.

I think the suggestion is that daily figures would still be published on the HSE website and be available for anyone who wishes to view them.

The press conference would become weekly and figures for that week would be released and discussed

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

A lot can happen in a week. Cases could rocket from 25-30 nationwide to 400-500 in the space of a week. Within that week, people would be thinking sure there’s very few cases, time to relax leading to the following weeks cases being in 4 figures. There would be the attitude of it can’t be that serious anymore, it’s not even in the headlines, you don’t hear anything about it these days.

Just because some are getting bored with it all doesn’t mean it should disappear, especially not when we are heading in to the time of year they have been warning of since this began. Last March and April there were many warnings about needing to get it under control before we reached winter and flu season. We were told about needing to delay the peak until the summer when hospitals were generally quieter anyway. But now, just as our cases increase a lot and we head into winter bugs season, it’s seemingly time to stop reporting. I wonder if it’s related to the fact that schools have just reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Provides the Covid bed-wetters with a daily opportunity to whip themselves into hysterics.

Should be canceled immediately - it's outrageous it's been allowed to persist for so many months.

Outrageous that infection numbers are made publicly available during a pandemic. Right..

Outrgeous would be concealing figures for an entire week unnecessarily.
    Having said that, people pay far too much attention to the daily figure and read way too much into how much impact just one day will have long term. Much more important to look out for is the average trend combined with preceeding days, and also many other more important figures such as hospitalisations, positivity rates. Case number is really so meaningless without further context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Dr Maitiu O Tuathail recommends the daily briefing be changed to a comprehensive weekly one.

This is fine by me as long as daily numbers are available online.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,365 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The 14 day rolling avg smooths out the daily ups and downs. That along with the R number is what you watch, not complicated. R over 1, not good. 14 day rolling figure rising, not good.
    You create mistrust and give the conspiracy theorists great room by witholding any data.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

biko wrote: »
    Dr Maitiu O Tuathail recommends the daily briefing be changed to a comprehensive weekly one.

This is fine by me as long as daily numbers are available online.

Daily numbers should continue to be reported on news bulletins. Many older people wouldn’t be online and in the absence of reports on the news could be led to believe there was no need to keep taking precautions.
    Daily reporting of figures is different to a daily briefing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

I think a lot of people just want to pretend like the virus doesn't exist anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Our champions of 'civil liberties' from other threads now here encouraging state censorship of COVID data, haha, not unexpected though. Flip their lids over deaths being backlogged and announced on one day as part of some scaremongering conspiracy and think that delaying a week's worth of cases to one day is somehow acceptable.

wakka12 wrote: »
    Our champions of 'civil liberties' from other threads now here encouraging state censorship of COVID data, haha, not unexpected though. Flip their lids over deaths being backlogged and announced on one day as part of some scaremongering conspiracy and think that delaying a week's worth of cases to one day is somehow acceptable.

Nobody is suggesting censorship. What is being suggested is that the HSE continue to publish daily figures which can be announced and reported on by the media.

The weekly briefing would announce weekly which could be compared to the previously weekly figures and give a better indication on the spread or containment of the virus

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

ShyMets wrote: »
    Nobody is suggesting censorship. What is being suggested is that the HSE continue to publish daily figures which can be announced and reported on by the media.

The weekly briefing would announce weekly which could be compared to the previously weekly figures and give a better indication on the spread or containment of the virus

There are people suggesting that
    The issue is not with the numbers. The issue is the media frenzy

Publish the numbers on the HSE website but ban the media from reporting on them. Do one weekly press conference and they can report then.

wakka12 wrote: »
    There are people suggesting that

Apologies. I hadn't seen that post. The idea of banning the media from reporting daily numbers is ludicrous and will not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

ShyMets wrote: »
    Apologies. I hadn't seen that post. The idea of banning the media from reporting daily numbers is ludicrous and will not happen.

Agreed and I think your suggestion is a good one. I just find it interesting that some of the posters suggesting a weekly release of figures also have very negative point of view on any government restrictions to their life. Seems their priority is just dismissal of any concern over COVID, not freedom.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

hmmm wrote: »
    7 and 14 day moving average, released daily :)

The problem is that so many people just don't understand basic maths, so explaining what a "moving average" is could be difficult.

The worst thing about KPI reports is averages.

Advertisement