Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drop the daily numbers. Make it weekly instead.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Provides the Covid bed-wetters with a daily opportunity to whip themselves into hysterics.

Should be canceled immediately - it's outrageous it's been allowed to persist for so many months.

tenor.gif?itemid=11907187

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

wakka12 wrote: »
    There are people suggesting that

I really just meant make sure the figures are coming out for those who want them since the issue seems to be the media coverage. I couldn’t care less about the media reporting on it but I want the stats. If I have to pick them I’ll happily lose the abysmal media articles on the figures and keep the actual data to look at myself. They can’t even ask proper questions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

ShyMets wrote: »
    Apologies. I hadn't seen that post. The idea of banning the media from reporting daily numbers is ludicrous and will not happen.

I’d prefer the media are banned than the figures stopped being released. That’s all I meant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭ShyMets

I’d prefer the media are banned than the figures stopped being released. That’s all I meant

We'll find ourselves on a very, very slippery slope the day the media are told they cannot report on things that are in the public domain

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Murple

What hope would we have of getting people to follow health advice and try to stop the spread of this virus if the media were banned from reporting on it. Out of sight, out of mind. Put the figures on the HSE website alone and they will only be seen by those who go looking for them- likely to be the same people who are already following health advice anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Absolutely under no circumstances should the daily numbers be dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,320 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

ShyMets wrote: »
    We'll find ourselves on a very, very slippery slope the day the media are told they cannot report on things that are in the public domain

Correct. It’s a democracy the last time I looked. Anyone advocating censorship of news and information / statistics, covid or otherwise can take a long jump into the Liffey as far as I’m concerned.

Unfortunately, people more than ever are needing daily reminders of the impact of them not giving a shït, being ‘needy I can’t keep my distance’ people so basically the numbers need to be a reminder and a deterrent to the needy brain dead fûckwits, as to how things can end up again if vigilance, determination and discipline isn’t maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Gods Gift wrote: »
    2 most important things on the telly.
    1 the angelus.
    2 the covid briefings.

3. the weather :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,532 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But what would Fergal Bowers do?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Gods Gift wrote: »
    2 most important things on the telly.
    1 the angelus.
    2 the covid briefings.

And on the radio? The Death Notices.

NB I don't have radio or TV so use the online news sites . rte and breaking.news. It gives time to read properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Reporting numbers has already slipped down the pegging order of news items over the past month on both main evening news bulletins, indeed such wss recent inexible delays Virgin Media missed the numbers release entirely as the bulletin had ended. RTE meanwhile had only an occasional presence at the Dept of Health numbers release, indeed more often than not its just briefly mentioned with a graph. I suppose we should be thankful this means less of the Morose Fergal Bowers on our screens, utterly depressing to watch.

The numbers are important and whilst daily releases not entirely necessary, the recent spikes actually counter the arguments against not releasing them daily. I certainly want to know if over a 100 new cases reported and quickly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't see the point.

Rather than announce, let's say 100 each day, they just announce the total of 700 at the end of the week?

It's the same thing in the end. It doesn't change the final figure.

Also, if people are concerned about transparency with figures, then having a daily total would seem more appropriate than just announcing one figure on a single day each week.

The argument that it causes undue concern and worry amongst people doesn't ring true to me. I'd actually be more concerned that not announcing daily figures would allow people to assume that it isn't a day to day concern anymore and to forget about even doing the basic things that we're supposed to be doing.

The whole proposal stinks of people being annoyed because the problem isn't going away and getting annoyed that they keep being reminded of it. And that's understandable, but unfortunately the problem isn't going away and hoping you won't hear about it 6 days out of 7 on the news doesn't really change reality.

Arghus wrote: »
    I don't see the point.

Rather than announce, let's say 100 each day, they just announce the total of 700 at the end of the week?

It's the same thing in the end.It doesn't change the final figure.

Also, if people are concerned about transparency with figures, then having a daily total would seem more appropriate than just announcing one figure on a single day each week.

The argument that it causes undue concern and worry amongst people doesn't ring true to me. I'd actually be more concerned that not announcing daily figures would allow people to assume that it isn't a day to day concern anymore and to forget about even doing the basic things that we're supposed to be doing.

Well put and agree completely

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I just ignore it, I'm beyond bored with this whole virus.
    I think the lack of daily numbers would genuinely send some people into panic attacks such is the importance of the pandemic in their sad lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Perhaps better to do a daily update to the 14 day average. The media will look at the ECDC data in any event which is updated daily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

A change in the way the media report the data is what is more important; new cases and total cases don't help at all by themselves. New deaths, hospitalisations, new cases and current infection rate as per the ECDC map are the only relevant numbers. The Journal for example yesterday introduce their article with the total number of cases in Ireland as the main point, clearly to hype up the day's new cases.

https://www.thejournal.ie/coronavirus-ireland-covid-19-cases-figures-5196968-Sep2020/

Another change would be to stop NPHET doing media briefings of any sort and just relegate them to the role they should be doing, advising the government who should be giving the briefings. NPHET can't answer questions about politics and the economy, the briefings are giving them far too much of an apparent role than they actually have (or should have) in the covid response. Offering health advice for government consideration based on data they have access to is their only job.

A better change would be to stop NPHET doing media briefings of any sort and just relegate them to the role they should be doing, advising the government who should be giving the briefings. NPHET can't answer questions about politics and the economy, the briefings are giving them far too much of an apparent role than they actually have (or should have) in the covid response. Offering health advice for government consideration based on data they have access to is their only job.

OMG, watched political briefings recently? Utterly incoherent. Whilst I agree NPHET can't comment on political or economic issues and they generally don't, NPHET have been the only consistent element throughout this crisis. Yes their assessments may not be palatable but its hard to argue they've played a crucial role. The HSE has also been less than coherent also, and its top echelons seem only concerned about image and telling us how wonderful they are, the facts suggest nothing could be further from the truth. I shudder to think we're we'd be if this current government were left to it's own devices, utterly incompetent and if truth be known, its FG and various government TD'S cynical and underhanded undermining of NPHET that has caused whatever confusion there may be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Dempo1 wrote: »
    OMG, watched political briefings recently? Utterly incoherent. Whilst I agree NPHET can't comment on political or economic issues and they generally don't, NPHET have been the only consistent element throughout this crisis. Yes their assessments may not be palatable but its hard to argue they've played a crucial role. The HSE has also been less than coherent also, and its top echelons seem only concerned about image and telling us how wonderful they are, the facts suggest nothing could be further from the truth. I shudder to think we're we'd be if this current government were left to it's own devices, utterly incompetent and if truth be known, its FG and various government TD'S cynical and underhanded undermining of NPHET that has caused whatever confusion there may be.

It's not about coherency, I know that Stephen Donnelly and MM are not worthy of respect and I do not respect anything they say about the crisis. But it's about NPHET being given such a platform while they are only focusing on one aspect of the crisis. However this is not just a health crisis, maybe before lockdown it was, it is a social and economic crisis the past few months since numbers hit the floor and stayed there. NPHET getting such prominence hides the other crises.

It's mot about coherency, it's about them only focusing on one aspect of the crisis but this is mot just a health crisis, maybe before lockdown it was, it is a social and economic crisis the past few months since numbers hit the floor and stayed there. However, NPHET getting such prominence hides the other crises.

I understand but NPHET have rarely if ever ventured to comment on anything other than public health concerns and advice, if they are getting prominence over economic or other crisises & people tasked with dealing with same, I would suggest the proves the government at fault here and need to step up to the plate with coherent messaging. NPHET are just doing their job, shame the government is clearly not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Graces7 wrote: »
    And on the radio? The Death Notices.

NB I don't have radio or TV

You know all about it so. :)

The daily numbers are putting people on edge at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,510 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

RTÉ are loving this and are loving the reporting of it. Be prepared for series,programs about various people,celebrities,social media stars,etc experiences with Covid- 19 also they'll be on The Late Late Show for the misery slot.
    Even last night when Fair City returned it was full on Covid - 19 for the full episode. One charter even had a big yellow t-shirt about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it's just my circles but no person I have met have expressed any concern or unease over the numbers being reported daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

I think NPHET (apart from being more coherent than politicians) were put in front of the media so the politicians didn't have to deliver the bad news as frequently. "Hung out to dry" or "thrown under the bus" could be other terms used IMO.

Personally I've no issue with daily numbers being released and, purely IMO, some of the suggestions to go to weekly reporting are from people who are effectively "fed up" with the whole COVID thing and just wish it were gone. Life's not that simple.

rob316 wrote: »
    I just ignore it, I'm beyond bored with this whole virus.
    I think the lack of daily numbers would genuinely send some people into panic attacks such is the importance of the pandemic in their sad lives.

Being concerned about the virus and trying to keep fully up to date with it is sad?? Absolute nonsense.

The indifference to the virus from some is staggering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Parabellum9

Being concerned about the virus and trying to keep fully up to date with it is sad?? Absolute nonsense.

The indifference to the virus from some is staggering.

Fatigue at this stage I'd say, we've had nearly 6 months of hearing about this thing non stop at this point. I'm in the same boat as the poster you replied to, I do not even look at daily numbers or articles about it anymore - sick of hearing about it and the never ending fear factory that our national media outlets have become.

Wear a mask, keep your distance and wash your hands - easy to do those 3 steps and get on with your life instead of obsessing over Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Polar101

Dr Glynn said in today's briefing that if they stopped reporting daily numbers, they'd just get complaints about that, but that they are planning to add more context to the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Another change would be to stop NPHET doing media briefings of any sort and just relegate them to the role they should be doing, advising the government who should be giving the briefings. NPHET can't answer questions about politics and the economy, the briefings are giving them far too much of an apparent role than they actually have (or should have) in the covid response. Offering health advice for government consideration based on data they have access to is their only job.

Fcuk that, then how do I know the gov isn't ignoring the advice being given?

You're throwing away your democratic rights here. I thought you didn't trust the government? Now you want to unquestioningly believe what they say?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,211 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Polar101 wrote: »
    Dr Glynn said in today's briefing that if they stopped reporting daily numbers, they'd just get complaints about that, but that they are planning to add more context to the numbers.

He's right. People can ignore it. If they are too stupid or anxious to ignore it that's their problem, I want the information, I'm not an idiot so it doesn't scare me or make me anxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

MadYaker wrote: »
    He's right. People can ignore it. If they are too stupid or anxious to ignore it that's their problem, I want the information, I'm not an idiot so it doesn't scare me or make me anxious.

I get the sentiment, but some people are anxious about the whole situation and it doesn’t make them an idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

MadYaker wrote: »

You can be fed up of daily numbers to the point of ignoring them while still being 100% proactive and appropriate in terms of social distancing and preventative measures...

Advertisement