Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Employer withdrawing sick pay in breach of own policy

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Lets hope the OP dosn’t lose the run if himself at his HR meeting and tell them he was self isolating in bed with girlfriend while crouching over in bed ‘working’ and has hurt his back now and wants his sickpay. If he can’t smell the self entitlement himself and curb his words he will be in big trouble soon. You won’t be needing a crystal ball to see a P45 looming.

Absolutely, the best way to get on ok is to leave the fragile ego at the door of the HR office and pass it out on the way out the door.

HR are far too clever these days for fanciful stories and being dictated to.
    Best thing to do now is sell themselves again and find a nice quiet corner and get on with their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Lets hope the OP dosn’t lose the run if himself at his HR meeting and tell them he was self isolating in bed with girlfriend while crouching over in bed ‘working’ and has hurt his back now and wants his sickpay.

Wait til HR tell him they activated the work laptop's webcam and found out how he really put his back out.

nthclare wrote: »
    The general consensus is to go back to work, be lucky to have a job and don't rock the boat.

I know people who were on 6 figure salaries before covid 19 and they're packing shelves and working on tills in supermarkets now.
    And they're quite happy to be doing something, it show's they're adaptable and flexible.

Any job these days is a blessing.

Imagine being an airline pilot with a huge Mortgage, big house stables and a wife 3 kids, two dog's and 4 horse's to look after.

And two big cars in the driveway, it's then you've problems.

Wishing you well on Monday and just go in and make the most of it, play along with company policy even if it's sh17 just do it.

Because you're worth it....

Very true. The guy that can only afford a bedside and a bus pass should certainly feel sorry for the guy you mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

antix80 wrote: »
    Wait til HR tell him they activated the work laptop's webcam and found out how he really put his back out.

lol very good.
    I love that humour lol

Maybe they're in the wrong business , very sharp wit

Love it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,570 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Durtburd wrote: »
    Thats a decision they've made. When we the staff complain about poor pay or other issues we constantly get the spiel about how the company looks after employees in other ways, such as this.

The 1st period was 7 weeks as it took hse 3 weeks to test me and deliver results. Housemate got very sick during that time, chest pains, breathing trouble, whole shebang. He was sent for testing and it took them about 5 weeks start to finish. Work decided they'd rather I stay at home until he got all clear.

Can you explain the grounds on which you think I could/would be dismissed?

I work for an insurance company, they are well practised at pointing out health and safety issues - they themselves stated that I shouldn't be working the way I am, I decided to do it anyway as its better than nothing.

But the Government introduced PUP specifically for situations like this where you were off work, but not ill. Also, the guidelines are that you isolate for two weeks, if no symptoms, you go about your business. Your company has a policy for this situation, you included it in your first post edit, that policy is broadly in line with what the Government expected employers to do during the pandemic.

Many employers are cutting back staff numbers as a result of Covid. Like others, I think you should put your case across calmly, and leave out the bit about your back/bed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

antix80 wrote: »
    Buy a desk and a chair. Working from home is one thing but working from bed isn't a thing.

Why would employees be buying office equipment for their employers? The very least that an employer can do is make sure that people have the right equpment to do the job. If people are basically forced into working from home, then the employer should be making sure they have the right equipment.

I know one bank and one tech company that have covered basic home office set up costs. Public service is not covering any costs, so you have tens of thousands of public servants fitting out their own offices at their own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,466 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

nthclare wrote: »
    You can hum and haw all you like, but are you suggesting that people are better off on the 350 and doing nothing ?

Some people are just able to dust themselves off and get on with it.

Different strokes for different folk's.

Not everyone wants to rot away at home on the covid payment and screw the system.

There's some work out there for delivery drivers at the moment, go figure....

people aren’t screwing anything. They are simply benefiting from a system that they themselves paid into and contributed to. Now when they are in need during unprecedented times they are getting a dig out and remaining safe. Also they are enabling the health, safety and wellbeing of everyone else in their community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I get the distinct impression we are never going to hear how this HR meeting panned out.

Talk about making snowballs for someone else to throw around...

Cheeky enough.

Advertisement