Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade Speed Query

• 04-09-2020 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Live in a rural area but am lucky enough to get fibre broadband. ðŸ‘

Asked Eir to upgrade my line from 150mB to 300mB.

Does anyone know how long this should take?

Does the request have to wait until Monday now cos it was only requested at 5pm today?

Many Thanks 😀

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Live in a rural area but am lucky enough to get fibre broadband. ðŸ‘

Asked Eir to upgrade my line from 150mB to 300mB.

Does anyone know how long this should take?

Does the request have to wait until Monday now cos it was only requested at 5pm today?

Many Thanks ��

Eir no longer offer the 300 profiles, except on legacy 300 plan accounts. If they are going to upgrade you the next speed is 1000.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pricewise987

Thanks a mill

They upgraded to 500 mb package which I wasn't aware they did - have received email to confirm

How long does it take for a profile change to kick in? Thought it was an immediate change but forgot to ask 🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

Thanks a mill

They upgraded to 500 mb package which I wasn't aware they did - have received email to confirm

How long does it take for a profile change to kick in? Thought it was an immediate change but forgot to ask 🙄🙄

Just out of curiosity what are you paying per month for the 500 mb package?

I'm currently out of contract with Eir on their previous 300 mb package + mobile which is now 85€ per month, was 55 I think.

Aato wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity what are you paying per month for the 500 mb package?

I'm currently out of contract with Eir on their previous 300 mb package + mobile which is now 85€ per month, was 55 I think.

Its 95€ a month

500mb
    Mobile
    Landline with unlimited calls to any landline/any mobile network anytime

amazingly - live in an area where I can get fibre broadband but I can't make a mobile call or send/receive a text so the landline part is very nb 🙄🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Its 95€ a month

500mb
    Mobile

amazingly - live in an area where I can get fibre broadband but I can't make a mobile call or send/receive a text so the landline part is very nb ����
    If you have no mobile signal at home you should enable WiFi calling on your mobile handsets. It will route all of your mobile calls and texts over the Eir fibre network. Eir support it on all their mobile bill-pay plans, and most of their recent handsets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭alec76

Thanks a mill

How long does it take for a profile change to kick in? Thought it was an immediate change but forgot to ask ����
    About 10-15 minutes in a week days.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Thanks a mill

How long does it take for a profile change to kick in? Thought it was an immediate change but forgot to ask ����

are you sure they moving you to 500? because Eir don't have a 500 plan. Where did you order it from? There is no mention of it on their website. I upgraded from 300 to 1000 as there wasn't any other option and paying the same for 1000 as I was for 300.

Gonzo wrote: »
    are you sure they moving you to 500? because Eir don't have a 500 plan. Where did you order it from? There is no mention of it on their website. I upgraded from 300 to 1000 as there wasn't any other option and paying the same for 1000 as I was for 300.

am paying €10 less to go from 300 to 500

"Your Bundle Includes:
    eir Talk Mobile World
    eir Fibre Extreme 500Mb
    eir Mobile Essential"

thought it was 150mb/300mb/1gb only

no sign of the increase to 500.......

am paying €10 less to go from 300 to 500

"Your Bundle Includes:
    eir Talk Mobile World
    eir Fibre Extreme 500Mb
    eir Mobile Essential"

thought it was 150mb/300mb/1gb only

no sign of the increase to 500.......

I've tried different numbers on the Eir website and it is only 150 and 1000 as options.

I've tried different numbers on the Eir website and it is only 150 and 1000 as options.

Yikes

Maybe that's why my profile has not been changed to 500

Was I offered something that's not available?

Too funny.......!!

No joy trying to contact Eir about it either.....

Thought @eircare might be a handy way of a quick answer on this

they are socially distancing themselves from my tweets........!!!!

• Advertisement

Yikes

Maybe that's why my profile has not been changed to 500

Was I offered something that's not available?

Too funny.......!!

No joy trying to contact Eir about it either.....

Thought @eircare might be a handy way of a quick answer on this

they are socially distancing themselves from my tweets........!!!!

how did you order it in the first place if it's not on the website or any of their promotions, was it through an customer service agent?

Back when the 500 profile was being activated on other networks I originally contacted Eir about getting upgraded to 500 and I was told Eir had no plans to offer 500 and the 300 was removed as an option almost a year ago.

how did you order it in the first place if it's not on the website or any of their promotions, was it through an customer service agent?

Back when the 500 profile was being activated on other networks I originally contacted Eir about getting upgraded to 500 and I was told Eir had no plans to offer 500 and the 300 was removed as an option almost a year ago.

Yes - was Eir customer service rep I spoke to

Rang on Friday afternoon to see what options were available

Plan was to go to 1000Mb but the price difference made the 500Mb seem good

Could it be a new profile offering?

Email confirms the 500MB that was agreed

No sign of profile change though

is it possible to see your profile through the router admin login on 192.168. 1.254?
    Seem to remember this was possible when on ADSL

I guess customer care team are quite flexible , they could offer any profile for any price.
    Wait until Monday anyway .
    How do you test your speeds BTW?
    Have you got PC or Mac hardwired to the router ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Its 95€ a month

500mb
    Mobile

amazingly - live in an area where I can get fibre broadband but I can't make a mobile call or send/receive a text so the landline part is very nb 🙄🙄

can't revive phone calls change your phone some Chinese phones huwai get better signal

alec76 wrote: »
    I guess customer care team are quite flexible , they could offer any profile for any price.
    Wait until Monday anyway .
    How do you test your speeds BTW?
    Have you got PC or Mac hardwired to the router ?

PC is hardwired to router - do speed tests this way

Phone app speed tests often way below expected level - even on 5GHz frequency

Will join the queue in morning to see what the story is...

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    can't revive phone calls change your phone some Chinese phones huwai get better signal

thanks a mill

turned on the Wi-Fi calling through phone settings on Android phone

Text msgs seem to be working now

calls are hit and miss

thanks a mill

turned on the Wi-Fi calling through phone settings on Android phone

Text msgs seem to be working now

calls are hit and miss

WiFi calling needs very stable WiFi for good quality voice calls. If the WiFi is stable, the voice-calls should be rock steady HD Voice quality. Your FTTH broadband is well capable of supporting WiFi calling, but you may need to install a mesh WiFi system to ensure that you have seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home. If you are using home-plug extenders, they could be the source of your problem.

WiFi calling needs very stable WiFi for good quality voice calls. If the WiFi is stable, the voice-calls should be rock steady HD Voice quality. Your FTTH broadband is well capable of supporting WiFi calling, but you may need to install a mesh WiFi system to ensure that you have seamless WiFi coverage throughout your home. If you are using home-plug extenders, they could be the source of your problem.

Wow - brilliant and 100% correct - i am using home-plug extenders

would mesh WIFI also extend 5ghz frequency or is 5ghz just limited to "not very far"....?

Wow - brilliant and 100% correct - i am using home-plug extenders

would mesh WIFI also extend 5ghz frequency or is 5ghz just limited to "not very far"....?

One of the problems with home-plugs is that devices such as phones tend to cling onto the lower-power signal from the more distant access point, even when a higher power signal is available. This is a huge problem for WiFi calling. Mesh WiFi systems steer the mobile devices onto the strongest access point, with seamless handover.

Yes - mesh WiFi will also extend 5GHz frequency - however it can't change the laws of physics, and 5GHz is not good at going through walls. With mesh WiFi, you can add as many access points as you require, and you should try to position access points as close as possible to devices that need 5GHz - eg 4K TVs. WiFi calling should not need 5GHz.

You have an excellent FTTH service - it is definitely worth your while investing in a mesh system to complement this.

One of the problems with home-plugs is that devices such as phones tend to cling onto the lower-power signal from the more distant access point, even when a higher power signal is available. This is a huge problem for WiFi calling. Mesh WiFi systems steer the mobile devices onto the strongest access point, with seamless handover.

Yes - mesh WiFi will also extend 5GHz frequency - however it can't change the laws of physics, and 5GHz is not good at going through walls. With mesh WiFi, you can add as many access points as you require, and you should try to position access points as close as possible to devices that need 5GHz - eg 4K TVs. WiFi calling should not need 5GHz.

You have an excellent FTTH service - it is definitely worth your while investing in a mesh system to complement this.

Brilliant - thanks very much

Haven't gor FTTH that long but sometimes think we are not making the best use of it cos maybe the setup could be better with a little more knowledge

Would the below be suitable for a proper mesh WIFI setup?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX7700/dp/B07HM6WHYZ

• Advertisement

Brilliant - thanks very much

Haven't gor FTTH that long but sometimes think we are not making the best use of it cos maybe the setup could be better with a little more knowledge

Would the below be suitable for a proper mesh WIFI setup?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-EX7700/dp/B07HM6WHYZ

Probably ok for a single access point, but not great value.. and you will likely need a 3-pack to cover your home. You need to turn off the WiFi in your router and colocate one of the mesh devices there. TPlink Deco M5 should do the job. If you have Cat 6 wiring use it to connect the access points. If not, use wireless backhaul

Deco M5 probably ok if you using Ethernet backhaul, otherwise perform quite poorly, are they capable of speeds above 200 Mbps with wireless backhaul ?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Aato

Eir 1000mb plan is 24 months contract though so its either that or the 150mb plan for 12 months.

I see Vodafone are offering 500mb plan for 30 euro per month? It says Vodafone broadband Eir, is this because they use eirs infrastructure or what is it? Why are they cheaper than Eir if they're saying its eirs broadband..

Advertisement