Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USB WiFi Dongle Keeps Disconnecting

Options
  • 04-09-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭

As per the thread title, I use a usb wifi dongle on my laptop (built in wifi adaptor defective) - to connect with home internet.

It works ok for the most part. However, it keeps losing connectivity with the router. I doubt very much that its a range issue - they're not that far apart. I've updated the drivers for the dongle but it's still the same. I have to keep removing the dongle from the port and slotting it back in - and it picks up the connection again. I can do this a gazillion times a day.

Anyone any idea what's at issue here and what the fix is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's quite commnon. Sometimes the issue is temperature. It could be range, wifi dongles usully have quite short range if they don't have an antenna. The original antennae run up both sides of the screen.

Did you get the right drivers, from the manufacturer and not the default ones through windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Thanks @GarIT - I had tried Intel drivers previously as I didn't think I had knowledge of a specific driver (cheap Chinese device). Managed to get that info via my Aliexpress - and it seems the problem is fixed

Advertisement