Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car tailgate deer gambrel with winch.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Nice job Clive. I bought a Napier version that's supposed to stand from the ground but you click it onto your tow bar to steady it while your hanging the deer. I shoot my deer near the house so I bought a ball hitch and bolted it at the right level to the house instead. It saves a lot of heavy lifting when prepping a deer. Did you follow a design or is it something you designed yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

mallards wrote: »
    Nice job Clive. I bought a Napier version that's supposed to stand from the ground but you click it onto your tow bar to steady it while your hanging the deer. I shoot my deer near the house so I bought a ball hitch and bolted it at the right level to the house instead. It saves a lot of heavy lifting when prepping a deer. Did you follow a design or is it something you designed yourself?

My local butcher closed down so I now have to process a deer again. :mad:

A friend told me about the Napier Apex Auto Lift he uses. On the Napier website I saw the Apex Auto Click which is the much same thing as I have made, but without the click.
    I had all the parts about the home (shed) and thought I'd have a go at making one up. I just had to buy the nylon rope and a pulley.
    Next thing is to get a fridge. My son has a Fridge/freezer that I'll try and cut the centre part out and use, it has top and lower doors and fix up to use.

"Poverty is the Mother of Invention" so they say. :):);) And I'm getting far to old to lift and carry a dead deer. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

clivej wrote: »

"Poverty is the Mother of Invention" so they say. :):);) And I'm getting far to old to lift and carry a dead deer. :(

I hear that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Anyone explain,or know where the Hell we don't have or can't get the US-style 2inch square hollow tow hitch in Ireland or the EU?:(

It's a much more versatile building block for a whole array of stuff than our plain old round ball hitch. Anything you can mount on an 1 3/4 in a square box or solid steel bar that fits in and can be locked in place with a steel pin and "R" clip can be made transportable.

I had one on my old 4 litre ex USPS Jeep Cherokee here[I miss that Jeep:(:(] and it was incredible versatile as a winch mount,tow hitch,deer carrier,etc.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,059 ✭✭✭clivej

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Anyone explain,or know where the Hell we don't have or can't get the US-style 2inch square hollow tow hitch in Ireland or the EU?:(

It's a much more versatile building block for a whole array of stuff than our plain old round ball hitch. Anything you can mount on an 1 3/4 in a square box or solid steel bar that fits in and can be locked in place with a steel pin and "R" clip can be made transportable.

I had one on my old 4 litre ex USPS Jeep Cherokee here[I miss that Jeep:(:(] and it was incredible versatile as a winch mount,tow hitch,deer carrier,etc.

The last hitch I got for my Caddy van had the hitch that was bolted onto the towbar with 2 bolts, I just asked for that type. About 5 years ago now. Always had the intention of fitting something to it like I've done now, but never did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Mississippi.

Next thing is to get a fridge. My son has a Fridge/freezer that I'll try and cut the centre part out and use, it has top and lower doors and fix up to use.

Be careful with that, there could be gas pipes buried in the insulation. If a pipe gets nicked and the gas escapes the whole thing is only good for the civic amenity site.

Advertisement