Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mural of Joe Biden unveiled in Ballina

Options
  • 05-09-2020 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/

I find this completely bizarre.

Was this commissioned by the council or what?

Have we got a budding Banksy in our midst?

This is just so beyond ridiculous on so many levels I don't need to explain.

mod: please correct typo spelling of Joe in title, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,579 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Does it have planning permission or is it Democratic Party exempt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Does it have planning permission or is it Democratic Party exempt?

Good question lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭con747

Aul Joe has links to Mayo so I see no problem, https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0904/1163269-biden-mural/
    Better than the other feckin oompa loompa nut job.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

It is hoped Mr. Biden will be able to return to see the painting after November’s presidential election.

Hopefully because he's got noting better to do.

I'm sorry but if the excuse for this is because of his historical family lineage connection to Mayo it's still beyond contemptible, given he's an active candidate for the presidency.

con747 wrote: »
    Aul Joe has links to Mayo so I see no problem, https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0904/1163269-biden-mural/
    Better than the other feckin oompa loompa nut job.

Well, what if the oompa loompa nut job had links to Mayo? Would the mural be commissioned then.

I wouldn't mind so much if they did this after the election. Then again, if Biden looses, they might not have bothered.

• Advertisement

Nearly as bad as that one of yer man with the bag on his head..

AllForIt wrote: »
    Hopefully because he's got noting better to do.

I'm sorry but if the excuse for this is because of his historical family lineage connection to Mayo it's still beyond contemptible, given he's an active candidate for the presidency.

Of Ballina??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

When are they going to finish it?

AllForIt wrote: »
    Well, what if the oompa loompa nut job had links to Mayo? Would the mural be commissioned then.

I wouldn't mind so much if they did this after the election. Then again, if Biden looses, they might not have bothered.

I'm quite sure it would.

you seem, from where i sit, to have failed to have spelled out a coherent objection to this OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Strange Jeo location alright.

M

Mayo County Council will likely see it as fun times but if someone placed a Trump sticker on a bus shelter they would find themselves in a white mans jail.

I tried to create a competing mural of Trump in Castlebar but all the walls were taken. Hopefully you can right this wrong OP, one must stamp out the sneaky liberal agenda before it spreads into Leitrim.

The bottom line is if Biden wins it gives a massive boost to Ballina in the future if travel gets anyway back to normality in the next year or two. Trump has his golf course in Clare. How many towns or villages in Ireland have benefited from a remote connection to a US president?

Disclaimer, I do have family connections in Ballina who did NOT draw the mural.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Don't know about trump, but VP Mike Pence's grandparents came from Clare and Sligo

M

The bottom line is if Biden wins it gives a massive boost to Ballina in the future if travel gets anyway back to normality in the next year or two. Trump has his golf course in Clare. How many towns or villages in Ireland have benefited from a remote connection to a US president?

Disclaimer, I do have family connections in Ballina who did NOT draw the mural.:)

Biden has no chance whatsover of winning.

If that pans out then god help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If that pans out then god help us.

Has your life been dramatically affected by Trump being in power?

I know mine hasn't. And can't think of why another Trump term should fill anyone in Ireland with dread. Your life will go on as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Embarrassing. Why don't the people of Ballina just bring their begging cup to the US Embassy? It would be more subtle and classy.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Has your life been dramatically affected by Trump being in power?

I know mine hasn't. And can't think of why another Trump term should fill anyone in Ireland with dread. Your life will go on as normal.

Did I say it was? Did I say I was filled with dread? Did I say my life would not go on as normal? No, I did say god help us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Did I say it was? Did I say I was filled with dread? Did I say my life would not go on as normal? No, I did say god help us.

Whatever, you may not have said it, but you implied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Thats just blinkered bull****, all the polls show him with a comfortable lead and even the polls in some swing states, now he may not win but to say at this stage that he has no chanced flies in the face of all logic. And sorry but what exactly is your objection to this and why is it 'contemptible'? Personally i think its crass but hey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭jackboy

The only issue with the mural is it looks crap. What did they do with his teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Surely there'll be some protest from #metoo #ibelieveher mob? Maybe the people of Ballina believe that Tara Reade has been lying this whole time so are therefore ok with Joe just being the Democrats leading anti-busing campaigner in the 1970's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Always found it telling that no town in Ireland ever attempted to claim Trump as one of their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

jackboy wrote: »
    The only issue with the mural is it looks crap. What did they do with his teeth?

Left them in a glass of water at the side, just like real life.

jackboy wrote: »

It's awful and so is the of Michael Gaughan unveiled a few weeks ago, Ballina and murals eh?

Always found it telling that no town in Ireland ever attempted to claim Trump as one of their own.

Doonbeg seems happy enough to take that mantle

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title fixed, Jeo -> Joe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

00152235-800.jpg
    https://www.rte.ie/news/connacht/2020/0904/1163269-biden-mural/

The painting was completed by local artists Padraig 'Smiler' Mitchell and Leslie Lackey

Mr Biden has links to Co Mayo and has visited the area on a number of occasions in recent years.

He travelled to Mayo in 2016, in his capacity as US Vice President. In 2017, he returned to turn the sod on a new hospice building outside Castlebar.

Advertisement