Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile broadband - 4G router options

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Like a repeater or those mesh systems?
    No repeaters please.
    In new build its a sin not to wire-in.
    Wikipedia
    Drawbacks

Since only one wireless device can transmit at once, wireless transmissions are doubled (router to the repeater and then repeater to the client versus just router to the client), and so:
    • Wireless throughput is reduced by at least 50%.
    • Wireless interference (e.g., with other networks on the same channel) is at least doubled.
    • Potentially opens another security attack vector. Older devices don't always support WPA2-PSK so while the original network might be secure, the secondary one is potentially open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got my TP Link router in the post and finally going to set it up tomorrow. Reading the instructions it just says to put a SIM in it but would a new sim need to be formatted on a mobile first? Im thinking I might have to put in APN settings before it goes into the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Got my TP Link router in the post and finally going to set it up tomorrow. Reading the instructions it just says to put a SIM in it but would a new sim need to be formatted on a mobile first? Im thinking I might have to put in APN settings before it goes into the router?

APN isn't written to the SIM so doesn't need to be put in a phone except maybe to check that it connects and shows signal.

APN needs to be entered in router settings, no matter what the SIM was used in previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 NKtile

Hi All,

Looking at go with 3 mobile broadband - the 30 day rolling contract. Does anyone know if 3 are enforcing the 750GB fair usage policy? I know they dropped it last year during start of pandemic. Love hear of anyone has any experience with hitting limits etc. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

28 day PAYG makes far more sense tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Let me brag a bit.
    Huawei B818
    Iskra P58 L700 Uni MIMO kit

541627.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ya big nerrrrrd :D

Advertisement