Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Arklow still bad?

Options
  • 05-09-2020 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

I see a thread from ten years ago on the topic but just wanted to know if Arklow has improved lately?
    Moving back to Ireland for a job in Rathdrum and looking at options for towns to live in.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi.

this question is a bit like 'have you stopped beating your wife'.

i dont think Arklow is bad now. Im not sure it ever was. but the traffic can be crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭mp3ireland2

hi.

this question is a bit like 'have you stopped beating your wife'.

i dont think Arklow is bad now. Im not sure it ever was. but the traffic can be crap!

Yeah just heard a lot of aneqdotal things about it and didn't want to make assumptions based on a few stories. Thanks for traffic warning!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

I see a thread from ten years ago on the topic but just wanted to know if Arklow has improved lately?
    Moving back to Ireland for a job in Rathdrum and looking at options for towns to live in.
    Any advice appreciated.

Why don't you consider living in Rathdrum?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Why don't you consider living in Rathdrum?

We may well do, at the moment my wife has a temp remote job but there might be a better chance of her getting work in a bigger town. She doesn't drive, we are working on it!
    So we plan to get somewhere temperoarly for a month and she'll look for work in the area or permanent remote work and then we can asses where best to live. She's worked as a legal secretary and for estate agents over here.

Ideally I'd like to be able to cycle to work, assumig work has a shower! Lots of things to sort out as I've to start up a business to do contract work and also am starting a springbord evening course at end of the month.....
    A little overwhelming getting to Ireland 2 days before starting work :D but getting made redundant at end of spetmeber and my wife got redundancy 4 weeks ago so things looking better now!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Any advice appreciated.

Arklow wasn’t that bad 10 yrs ago.....it’s probably a bit better now as 2010 was in the thick of the rescission.....I can see it’s got huge potential to improve with the imminent treatment plant, data centre & harbour developments.....we let our house there since we moved a year ago, housing demand is pretty high,.....the towns main st. itself has seen better days but there’s enough around it that it can be avoided although I do find the buisness owners very friendly & obliging!
    I’d pick it over Rathdrum any day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Busy town. Traffic is mayhem on exit 20 coming in over bridge. Some lovely houses with plenty of history in them for not alot of money. Newer houses also available for middling money. Has alot of facilities too.

We live close to arklow but would be through it frequently. Never knew it before moving but would have zero problems with it. Certainly could do with more investment and more outside the box thinking . I think move emphasis needs to be put on the river front at rear of main Street moving away from a parking area more into a cafe style rating out recreational space. The town committee I think need some ideas injection.

listermint wrote: »
    Busy town. Traffic is mayhem on exit 20 coming in over bridge. Some lovely houses with plenty of history in them for not alot of money. Newer houses also available for middling money. Has alot of facilities too.

We live close to arklow but would be through it frequently. Never knew it before moving but would have zero problems with it. Certainly could do with more investment and more outside the box thinking . I think move emphasis needs to be put on the river front at rear of main Street moving away from a parking area more into a cafe style rating out recreational space. The town committee I think need some ideas injection.

Thanks, yeah moving back fto Ireland rom Aberdeen I think we'd find rathdrum very quiet. The traffic seems to be the most annoying thing so far. WE got sorted with a temp accomodation a small garden cabin for 4 weeks, reasonable price and will allow us to suss out area, it's in Kilbride so that looks very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Thanks, yeah moving back fto Ireland rom Aberdeen I think we'd find rathdrum very quiet. The traffic seems to be the most annoying thing so far. WE got sorted with a temp accomodation a small garden cabin for 4 weeks, reasonable price and will allow us to suss out area, it's in Kilbride so that looks very quiet.

Kilbride is a long way from Arklow no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Arklow is a commuter town. Not much employment in the area. If your into the outdoors it's surrounded by really nice beaches and Forests within short driving distance.
    The road from Arklow to rathdrum isn't the best. Especially in winter. It's very hard to find places to rent in the town aswell. There is a very high demand.

sandyxxx wrote: »
    Arklow wasn’t that bad 10 yrs ago.....it’s probably a bit better now as 2010 was in the thick of the rescission.....I can see it’s got huge potential to improve with the imminent treatment plant, data centre & harbour developments.....we let our house there since we moved a year ago, housing demand is pretty high,.....the towns main st. itself has seen better days but there’s enough around it that it can be avoided although I do find the buisness owners very friendly & obliging!
    I’d pick it over Rathdrum any day!

I know both towns extremely well and would pick Rathdrum as a place to live over Arklow, hands down.

• Advertisement

I know both towns extremely well and would pick Rathdrum as a place to live over Arklow, hands down.

Thanks it also seems easier to find acocmodation there! Only snag is my wife doesn't drive yet, but train to wicklow would seem reaosnable if she got work there, and we can work on the license. She had temp remote working for the time being. All I have to go on is google maps but seems to be a chinse, a few pubs, a centra etc. So i think we are leaning that way but just waiting to see what happens with my wife's job situation. Thanks for the tip.
    It'll be a bit of a contrast to living in Aberdeen city but seems to have most of things we'd need (even though i just mentioned a chinese and pubs :D ) No gym but i could continue my home workouts i've gotten into since lockdown.

Thanks it also seems easier to find acocmodation there! Only snag is my wife doesn't drive yet, but train to wicklow would seem reaosnable if she got work there, and we can work on the license. She had temp remote working for the time being. All I have to go on is google maps but seems to be a chinse, a few pubs, a centra etc. So i think we are leaning that way but just waiting to see what happens with my wife's job situation. Thanks for the tip.
    It'll be a bit of a contrast to living in Aberdeen city but seems to have most of things we'd need (even though i just mentioned a chinese and pubs :D ) No gym but i could continue my home workouts i've gotten into since lockdown.

Two Chinese.
    One good chipper.
    Three pubs, one of which does good food(Jacobs Well). One is probably one of the most unusual pubs in the country, The Cartoon Inn. The other is a traditional Bar/lounge type of place.
    One Centra and two smaller shops.
    Three primary schools and a large Secondary School.
    All the usual sports clubs, GAA, Soccer, Rugby, Athletics amongst others.
    Post office, Bank and Credit union.

The entire town centre is currently getting renovated, should be impressive when finished.
    Planning gone in for a hotel at the train station as well as numerous hotels within a twenty minute drive.
    Massive recreational development about to start for Avondale estate.
    Work underway on two housing estates.
    Good community spirit.

Yes it would be a big change to what you are used to but its a grand spot!

Just to add very easy to commute to Wicklow Town by train.

Two Chinese.
    One good chipper.
    Three pubs, one of which does good food(Jacobs Well). One is probably one of the most unusual pubs in the country, The Cartoon Inn. The other is a traditional Bar/lounge type of place.

The entire town centre is currently getting renovated, should be impressive when finished.
    Planning gone in for a hotel at the train station as well as numerous hotels within a twenty minute drive.
    Good community spirit.

You have advertised well! Yeah I could cycle to work and my wife could have the car if she needed it once the test is got. We were thinking it was likley the best option anyway but good to get the inside info! More than my roaming the streets on google maps could deduce! I'll report my intel back to the boss :D

You have advertised well! Yeah I could cycle to work and my wife could have the car if she needed it once the test is got. We were thinking it was likley the best option anyway but good to get the inside info! More than my roaming the streets on google maps could deduce! I'll report my intel back to the boss :D

If you need any other specific info feel free to PM me.

If you need any other specific info feel free to PM me.

Much appreciated, a lot of change going on at the min so can be daunting but step by step we'll get it all sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tradtshirt

OP please spend a bit of time in these places before making any decision. With Rathdrum just be mindful that you will still spend lots of time in Wicklow/Arklow. There are no supermarkets or shops to speak of in Rathdrum apart from a convenience and it wouldn't be the best for amenities in general, its more of a village really. Also consider Wicklow town or Aughrim. Aughrim is about the same size as Rathdrum, and one of the nicest places about IMO. Whatever u decide, good luck with the move.:)

And just to add to that... the Wexford Bus 740A route is another way to get between Arklow and Wicklow Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭babaduck

We've been living in Arklow for almost 20 years & things have improved massively since we first drove down the (single lane) N11, as they should. A great range of schools, lots of activities for adults and kids, every supermarket known to man (except M&S) and more chippers than you can shake a stick at. Me, I'm a Burger Hill fan.

There are, of course, cons. Train services to Dublin are expensive and infrequent. Salaries locally are lower than Dublin, but no commuting, car loan or fuel bills to consider. The Main Street is sadly neglected - I wish the landlords would take a leaf out of Gorey's book and inject some life into the empty buildings to regenerate this area. That's a bugbear of most of the residents.

You're right beside the M11 and that's extremely handy for travelling anywhere.

Rathdrum has some beautiful new houses (a friend of mine has bought one and I'm extremely envious of the finish and the energy rating) but I'd sooner live here.

Thanks lads for all the tips, in hind sight I should have titled the thread with a less aggressive title! Yeah we have temp accommodation booked for four weeks so hopefully get renting somewhere, the rental market in the area seems like a landlords market from keeping an eye on it the last few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Two Chinese.
    One good chipper.

Good community spirit.

Now you wouldn’t call rathdrum a town in any shape or form , a village would be more like it.

• Advertisement

Now you wouldn’t call rathdrum a town in any shape or form , a village would be more like it.

It has a population of over 2000 so yes, I would class it as a town.

Just to update the narrative :-D We are currently living in a Shipping container next to the Barrindarrig service station :-D
    Not as bad as it sounds as it's an airbnb and doing the job for now. It seems options are rather limited accomodation wise so it might be a case of taking what we can get!
    Most oppertunites for my wife seem to be in Dublin so we are probably going to go somewhere like Kilpedder or Netown mount kennedy, or Bray or Greystones as no a lot in the first two!
    Arklow isn't really an option for commuting, Rathdrum would probably be better with the train station, so if we saw something central in Rathdrum we'd probably consider that. In short the availablity and pricing of accomodation in North wicklow was quite a shock, after paying £760 a month in Aberdeen City Centre for an old, but decent sized Flat.
    I have been waiting in the shipping container for a laptop to be delivered from work as working from home for first couple of weeks as we are returning from UK. Still hasn't arrived yet so on my 7th day of getting paid without being able to do any work!

...We are currently living in a Shipping container next to the Barrindarrig service station...

You absolutely must post pictures!

haha i'm not sure how to post photos but when we were dirving up to it we saw a black shipping container and were like "what have we done" as it didn't mention it was a shipping container in the add. Pity there's none of the outside!

https://www.gumtree.ie/a-flat-house-for-rent/wicklow/cosy-cabin-studio-available-to-rent/1007929382000912548675909

The woman is very nice and even does our washing! But it does sound so dramatic to tell people :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

The amenities have definitely come on a lot in the last few years - the new Rock/Roadstone walk is an excellent addition to the town.

Niles wrote: »
    The amenities have definitely come on a lot in the last few years - the new Rock/Roadstone walk is an excellent addition to the town.

Yeah we are starting to consider it now due to the lack of availablitiy, the commute to Dublin options for my wife are the biggest draw back but we have enquired about a couple of places. Quite a chronic shortage of rental properties at the moment in the commuter belt! I was blisfilly unaware of how bad it was when living in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

Yeah we are starting to consider it now due to the lack of availablitiy, the commute to Dublin options for my wife are the biggest draw back but we have enquired about a couple of places. Quite a chronic shortage of rental properties at the moment in the commuter belt! I was blisfilly unaware of how bad it was when living in the UK!

I commuted from Arklow by bus to Dublin for... far longer than I'm willing to mention :D. It's doable but as a friend pointed out, it's at least 3 hours of your day gone (I lived in Dublin for a while and found the concept of getting home 30 mins after leaving the office alien!). There's a hardy bunch of regulars doing it, you just sort of acclimatise after a while, and to be fair between the two bus companies there's a good service range.

Yeah it sounds like a tough commute and to be fair she hasn't a job in Dublin so maybe she'd find something in Arklow, she has an interview in Dublin next week, pending no lockdown i suppose.
    We are now looking at a place in Arklow tomorrow it's a bit more reasonably priced and ticks a good few of the boxes, don't think it's the time to be overly fussy about finding a place!

Well we are moving ot Arklow! We got a place beside the church, st mary's court. Nice apartment decent amount of room (negatives are electric heating and what seems to be a very pricey elec service from pinergy which agent said couldn't be changed, I've asked RTB if that was legal, will sign lease anyway and see) It's nice and central so can walk to everthing (if anything is open). Was reasonalby priced comapred to some others we saw, even if the elec will be expensive and might need to pay for TV! A new bed is a bonus and the spare room has no bed so can be used as home office/ music studio/ storage. Just over 20mins to work or just over an hours cycle as might do that a bit in spring/summer depending on what I make of roads and if there's a shower at work!

Good to get something sorted before the likely restrictions increase!

Edit: Does Anybody know where the post collection place is in Arklow if parcels arrive and you aren't in, googling seems to send me to the post office on the main street ut not conviced they'd hold them all there! I'm sure a card would state it but just curious?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

Edit: Does Anybody know where the post collection place is in Arklow if parcels arrive and you aren't in, googling seems to send me to the post office on the main street ut not conviced they'd hold them all there! I'm sure a card would state it but just curious?

It’s behind Mr Price in the Knockanrahan ind. estate,at the back!

Advertisement