Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade for MSFS

Options
  • 05-09-2020 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Hi, I recently picked up a used gaming rig as i wanted to get back into flight simulation. It runs FSX great but in the next year and a half i'd like to transition towards MSFS.
    The specs are as follows
    ASUS Z97 Pro Gamer
    Intel I7-4770 3.5ghz
    Strix GTX 970 4GB
    2x 4gb sticks of DDR3 ram
    250gb SSD and a 1TB HDD

Off the bat I'm thinking upgrade to 16gb ram, perhaps a graphics card upgrade, my I7 is great but throttled occasionly because i'm running a stock cooler on it at the moment, so a nice cpu cooler needs to be factored in and perhaps some case fans too. Havent measured them yet so not sure what size they are.

Could anyone maybe give me some pointers as to what i should look at getting first?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

There is an issue with MSFS where it's very sensitive to memory bandwidth so I would get the fastest DDR3 you can lay your hands on and upgrade to 16GB not sure of the specifics on that mobo or CPU I *THINK* you can go upto 2133. GPU wise I'd look at something like a 1080/5700XT, really anything higher is going to be bottlenecked I imagine. Wait until the newer 3000 series is out properly you should be able to get one pretty cheaply. c.€200

Upgrade to the cooling is always nice but you don't have to spend mega-bucks. The case probably takes 120mm fans. Again you can get cheap but good fans.

I'd start with memory and cooling as the GPUs will take a while to settle down in price.

Edit what PSU is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Arctic p12s are great fans for the money. Can pick up a 5 pack for 25 quid usually

Advertisement