Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father/son Gaming PC build

Options
  • 05-09-2020 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

My son wanted us to buy a Gaming PC for his 16th birthday. I suggested we could build one together and get better value, and I thought he would enjoy the experience of building it.

1.What is your budget?
    600 - 700 euro Maybe more if absolutely necessary and makes it longer lasting

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Skyrim, Hitman, COD, Civ VI, Flight Simulator etc. Video Editing, Solidworks for school

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    No. I have home and Pro

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    I've 2x2TB Seagate NAS drives and 2 1tb Barracuda 7200 drives. I also have a LG Lightscribe DVD burner.

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    No, not for the moment. I have a 21.5" BENQ GW2270 with 5ms which might do for the moment?

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]
    1920x1080 5ms. Yes, possible upgrade in the future for a better response time if necessary

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Maybe gaming keyboard and mouse. Open to suggestions.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    No, not for the moment, as I wouldn't be comfortable doing it.

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Credit Card/laser

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    Would like to purchase soon next 7-14 days, as he's been waiting since June for it, but I didn't want to buy during the summer holidays.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]
    Mayo. I'm hoping we can build this ourselves, I've no problem installing hardrives, ram and installing OS, so should be able to do a build with some research I would imagine, correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Can you wait a couple more weeks and would you be willing to go secondhand on the GPU? New cards are just about to launch and are shaking up the second hand market quite a bit.

A lot of cases have done away with the 5 1/4" drive bays for Optical drives, do you want one that will be able to accommodate the optical drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

The new cards are high end, they have no effect on this build at all. It will be a few months before we see newer 1080p cards.

This should do nicely. It's a little over budget but good for the monies.

If you want to spend a little bit more I'd go for the Ryzen 3600 instead. It's not needed though and you can always upgrade the 2600 later to an 8 core 3700. The 3600 would run a bit cooler/quieter though with the stock cooler as it uses less power and it's reasonably better/faster.

I'd order all of the parts from amazon if they are available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£141.40 @ Alza)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£67.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£58.38 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£54.83 @ BT Shop)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£204.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: GameMax Kamikaze PRO MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £637.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-05 18:42 BST+0100

BloodBath wrote: »
    The new cards are high end, they have no effect on this build at all. It will be a few months before we see newer 1080p cards.

They will if the OP is willing to go secondhand. Should be able to pick something up much better than a 1660S.

Maybe if you can get something like a 1070, 2060 or 5700 for €200.

Atm though it's a 1080p/60hz system so more power is kinda wasted until they get a higher refresh monitor.

Maybe if you can get something like a 1070, 2060 or 5700 for €200.

Atm though it's a 1080p/60hz system so more power is kinda wasted until they get a higher refresh monitor.

Flight Sim is pretty intensive on the GPU. It saves an upgrade down the line. Anyway until the OP says he willing to go secondhand or not your build is solid, I'd personally spend the extra on a B550 and 3600 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Don't mind 2nd hand at all. I do want the build to last thought, as in I don't want to find in 6 months that is not suitable for a newer game. We might get a better monitor at Christmas, if the upgrade is worth it.

I take it that we could swap out a better GPU on the above spec if we wanted at a later date anyway?

Oh it's pretty future proof. There's cpu and gpu upgrade options there.

If you really want long term upgrade options go for a b550 board as mentioned.

They are quite a bit more expensive though.

I think the money is better spend getting your keyboard/mouse, headphones if needed and a better monitor.

Not every build needs 5+ years of upgrade options.

This should do nicely. It's a little over budget but good for the monies.

If you want to spend a little bit more I'd go for the Ryzen 3600 instead. It's not needed though and you can always upgrade the 2600 later to an 8 core 3700. The 3600 would run a bit cooler/quieter though with the stock cooler as it uses less power and it's reasonably better/faster.

I'd order all of the parts from amazon if they are available.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor (£141.40 @ Alza)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£67.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (£58.38 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£54.83 @ BT Shop)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB OC Video Card (£204.97 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: GameMax Kamikaze PRO MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£59.99 @ CCL Computers)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Total: £637.53
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-05 18:42 BST+0100

Looking at Amazon at the moment. No luck with the case with delivery, I can get it from CCL, do any other cases suit?

Is this the 550 motherboard you refer to? https://www.amazon.co.uk/GIGABYTE-B550-GAMING-Motherboard-CPUs/dp/B08BJB8B2H/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1KUO2G0DWG40V&dchild=1&keywords=b550+motherboard+atx&qid=1599596481&sprefix=b550%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-4

I can get that, with the 3600 for about 100 sterling more!

A good B550 board is the MSI B550M Pro-VDH Wifi Save you having to add in a Wifi card, not that they are that expensive.

That Gigabyte board is ATX and a Micro ATX (smaller) case has been suggested. A larger case would be slightly more expensive once you add in the fans.

Thanks, that MSI won't accept the Ryzen 2600 correct, but will accept the 3600 and above?

I'm open to suggestions on a case.

• Advertisement

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Thanks, that won't accept the Ryzen 2600 correct, but will accept the 3600 and above?

I'm open to suggestions on a case.

That's right. It's a toss up really. It's not going to be a massive jump going for the B550 and 3600 so if the budget is needed elsewhere on the system...

As for a case P400A if you're going ATX. Note there are a couple of version of the P400 you want the P400A. Furthermore the DRGB version comes with the fans. Someone might have a better option for a case as that one, with delivery is expensive enough.

Out of interest what put you off the Kamikaze?

Sorry, nothing put me off the kamikaze except the delivery price.

I'm picking up from the replies here to stick with the 2600 and 450 motherboard as suggested by Bloodbath and save the few quid!

If I order the parts mentioned above, will that be all I need or will I need cables etc

Sorry, nothing put me off the kamikaze except the delivery price.

I'm picking up from the replies here to stick with the 2600 and 450 motherboard as suggested by Bloodbath and save the few quid!

If I order the parts mentioned above, will that be all I need or will I need cables etc

No you should be grand on cables, screws and even thermal paste as its preapplied to the cpu cooler.

Pros and Cons to both really. B550 supports a newer version of the GPU connection but the benefits won't come into play at 1080p60.

Sadly Amazon are crap for cases delivered to Ireland. I'd get everything else from them though, they are great on returns. Dont use the currency converter.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭Coyler

Fractal Design make quality cases and Amazon deliver for free. It's a no brainer in my books. If you want, you can always buy another fan down the road if you find the airflow is not sufficient in the Define C linked there. At the very least, it'll get you up and running.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not crazy about RGB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Arctic p12s are great non RGB fans. White and black version. Can usually be for for about 5 quid a piece

Thanks for all the advice. My son is saying his friends are telling him to get a 750w power supply! Any merit in this?

Thanks for all the advice. My son is saying his friends are telling him to get a 750w power supply! Any merit in this?

The new top end cards are pretty power hungry - bucking a trend down in power consumption over the last few years. The thing with PSUs is to get a decent one first and foremost.

Due to COVID and other factors PSUs are overpriced at the moment.

At the end of the day it's like the processor - pros and cons but probably not worth investing another €40-50 on.

Decent PSU if you do though.

It's not worth. The PC as listed would use maybe 200-250w max.

750w is for a super high end build which this is not going to become.

Don't waste your money on things that will have 0 impact. Same as the b550 and 3600 at this stage.

Until you get a better monitor and gpu these things don't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

1.What is your budget?
    600 - 700 euro Maybe more if absolutely necessary and makes it longer lasting

If you were going to upgrade this system in 2yrs what is likely to be kept and what discarded.

beauf wrote: »
    If you were going to upgrade this system in 2yrs what is likely to be kept and what discarded.

Was hoping not to have to upgrade in 2 years, but will probably get a better monitor at Christmas.

Looking at the 2600, I can get the 2600x for the same price on CCL, I assume i can get it and all the other suggested parts will still suit the build?

Also final option, if I get the 3600 and the B550 motherboard, does all the other parts still suit this build?

I've various options in the basket at the moment.

• Advertisement

Was hoping not to have to upgrade in 2 years, but will probably get a better monitor at Christmas.

Looking at the 2600, I can get the 2600x for the same price on CCL, I assume i can get it and all the other suggested parts will still suit the build?

Also final option, if I get the 3600 and the B550 motherboard, does all the other parts still suit this build?

I've various options in the basket at the moment.

Yep all the other bits are still fine. 2600X comes with a better cooler IIRC.

B550 needs a 3600.

Just an FYI that 4000 series is due to at least be announced on the 8th October.

Yep all the other bits are still fine. 2600X comes with a better cooler IIRC.

B550 needs a 3600.

Just an FYI that 4000 series is due to at least be announced on the 8th October.

And I'm guessing that would bring the prices of the 3000 series down?

And I'm guessing that would bring the prices of the 3000 series down?

Personally I dont think it will, not by much anyway. AMD have kept the older series going as a cheaper option. I think the 4000 series will be more expensive than the 3000 leaving the 3000 roughly where it is. There could actually be a price increase on B550 / X570 motherboards if stock runs low.

Sorry I dont mean to muddy the waters. I just enjoy talking about this stuff and going through the options.

Sorry I dont mean to muddy the waters. I just enjoy talking about this stuff and going through the options.

It's fine, appreciate all the advice from you all. Totally new jargon for me.

Right, I think I'm decided:
    • GameMax Kamikaze Pro Gaming Case - Black £59.99 CCL (he wants the lights)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU £189.97 CCL
    • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Motherboard mATX, AM4, DDR4, M.2, LAN, Wi-FI, USB 3.2 Gen1, Front Type-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD RYZEN 3000 3rd Generation £108.99 Amazon
    • Seasonic S12III 500 - Non-Modular PC Power Supply - 80 PLUS Bronze - 500 Watts £49.99 Amazon
    • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G £209.99 Amazon
    • Crucial P2 CT500P2SSD8 500GB Internal SSD, Up to 2300 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2) £57.30 Amazon
    • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black £54.98 Amazon

Total inc Delivery from CCL £741 = €816

More than I intended :eek:

Yeah you're gone a bit over but it will be worth it in the long run. You got upgrade options for many years there.

Thanks guys, order placed.

No doubt I'll be back to you when it all arrives for more advice. Any recommendations on youtube channels etc on building the machine?

This should be good for you. You're using the stock cooler so you don't need to remove the preinstalled brackets or apply thermal paste as it's already pre applied to the cooler that comes with the cpu. Just be careful not to smear it. Only remove the protective sticker when you are ready to install the cooler.

Nice machine - I think you'll enjoy building that and certainly enjoy playing games on it. Let us know when you're going for a new monitor so I can inundate you with Hardware Unboxed review videos!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,095 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

It's fine, appreciate all the advice from you all. Totally new jargon for me.

Right, I think I'm decided:
    • GameMax Kamikaze Pro Gaming Case - Black £59.99 CCL (he wants the lights)
    • AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6GHz 6 Core (Socket AM4) CPU £189.97 CCL
    • MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Motherboard mATX, AM4, DDR4, M.2, LAN, Wi-FI, USB 3.2 Gen1, Front Type-C, HDMI, DisplayPort, AMD RYZEN 3000 3rd Generation £108.99 Amazon
    • Seasonic S12III 500 - Non-Modular PC Power Supply - 80 PLUS Bronze - 500 Watts £49.99 Amazon
    • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER OC 6G £209.99 Amazon
    • Crucial P2 CT500P2SSD8 500GB Internal SSD, Up to 2300 MB/s (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2) £57.30 Amazon
    • Corsair CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black £54.98 Amazon

Total inc Delivery from CCL £741 = €816

More than I intended :eek:

Have a look at buying the motherboard and CPU from the same vendor as MSI are doing cashback at the moment.

https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-to-school-2020#AMD-Motherboard

AWD had a few bundle deals but I'm waiting on a reply from MSI if they're an approved vendor for the cashback. The 3600 and B550 Bazooka was £250 or £275 for the B550 Tomahawk.

Edit: nevermind I see you've already ordered.

Advertisement