Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father/son Gaming PC build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Had spotted that, but it didn't seem to apply to my motherboard.

Thanks.

Case and motherboard due on Monday, everything else on Wednesday.

Came home from work and found all the parts had arrived. We decided we would install the power supply just to experiment. But we then got a little carried away and finished the build. Just need to install windows tomorrow and tidy up the cables a bit more.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, it made me a lot more comfortable knowing all the bits and pieces would fit together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Looks great, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

BloodBath wrote: »
    This should be good for you. You're using the stock cooler so you don't need to remove the preinstalled brackets or apply thermal paste as it's already pre applied to the cooler that comes with the cpu. Just be careful not to smear it. Only remove the protective sticker when you are ready to install the cooler.

Just on this, you probably will need to replace the mounting bracket.

Most AM4 motherboards come with the weird AMD clap on brackets installed but the 3600 stock cooler screws directly into the backplate. It's not a big job though.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Qwerty? wrote: »
    Came home from work and found all the parts had arrived. We decided we would install the power supply just to experiment. But we then got a little carried away and finished the build. Just need to install windows tomorrow and tidy up the cables a bit more.

Thanks again for all the help and advice, it made me a lot more comfortable knowing all the bits and pieces would fit together.

It's a great case to build in and looks great when finished.

Enjoy your PC guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Just on this, you probably will need to replace the mounting bracket.

Most AM4 motherboards come with the weird AMD clap on brackets installed but the 3600 stock cooler screws directly into the backplate. It's not a big job though.

My bad. Forgot if it was used or not since I've never used the stock cooler.

Looks good op. Great starting build that should last you at least 6+ years with some upgrades down the line.

Nice machine - I think you'll enjoy building that and certainly enjoy playing games on it. Let us know when you're going for a new monitor so I can inundate you with Hardware Unboxed review videos!

Top of his Christmas list is a gaming monitor. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

24" 144Hz 1080p - no need to go higher IMHO.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

24" 144Hz 1080p - no need to go higher IMHO.

That AOC 24G2 and it's 27" version reviewed very well - they seem like great bang for buck if 1080p is enough. Ordered the 27" myself so looking forward to seeing what it's like (will be used for work and gaming).

• Advertisement

Can't really find any reviews on it from people I'd trust but it's a 144Hz panel and the price seems good. Only thing is it's a TN panel so the viewing angles won't be great if you were planning on playing two player split screen games.

Hmmm... my only concern is it's reported as a 144Hz panel on some websites but no on Lenovo's or Amazon's where it's not listed.

Edit: Jesus their support is pretty rude. Anyway:

https://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/Lenovo_Monitors/Lenovo_G2410?M=65FDGAC2UK

144Hz

Similar spec for €166
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07SS5QLWQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

1ms and 144hz are both definite requirements yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

1ms is largely a marketing gimmick anyway. None of them actually do that. The good ones are in the 3-5ms range.

I would say 120hz+ IPS panels are what you should be looking at. Good VA's aren't bad either. I'd avoid TN.

They are cheaper but IPS is just a superior technology at this stage.

Similar spec for €166
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07SS5QLWQ/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

1ms and 144hz are both definite requirements yes?

I wouldn't say you have to go the 144Hz route. If he's coming from a console then a 75Hz display will be fine, it's just not a 'gaming' monitor. VA or IPS would be preferable but it all depends on budget.

AOC 24G2U/BK 23.8 Inch Widescreen IPS LED Black and Red Gaming Monitor (1920 x 1080/1ms/HDMI/DP/VGA/USB 3.0 x 4) £184.99 at the moment, select other sellers and chose Amazon. Annnd it's gone out of stock. 2020 can really kiss my a...

Having re read you OP, IPS would be better for video editing as colour reproduction is better (generally).

Thanks. I had that exact model in the basket at £220, but didn't spot it at that price. Thanks. It's not in stock but they will let me know when it does.

I can get it the 27" at 223, is that too big ?

https://www.maxburns.ie/aoc-27-ips-monitor-spk-27g2u-bk-118228.html

27" isn't ideal at 1080p neither is it a deal breaker but as regards a monitor size for gaming it's the ideal size.

27" isn't ideal at 1080p neither is it a deal breaker but as regards a monitor size for gaming it's the ideal size.

Sounds good value for 27", 1ms, 144hz and the year warranty. I'm guessing he won't even notice that it's only 1080p. I might cancel the Amazon one, it may not come into stock on time anyway.
    Thanks for your help as always.

Sounds good value for 27", 1ms, 144hz and the year warranty. I'm guessing he won't even notice that it's only 1080p. I might cancel the Amazon one, it may not come into stock on time anyway.
    Thanks for your help as always.

27 is a very nice panel size. I doubt he'll notice either. I think someone else here recently bought one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

27 is a very nice panel size. I doubt he'll notice either. I think someone else here recently bought one.

Yeah I ordered the 27" from here: https://www.cclonline.com/product/aoc-27g2u-bk-gaming-monitor-27-inch-1920-x-1080-full-hd-ips-panel-amd-freesync-144hz-black-27g2u-bk-298326/ - although when I ordered it on Friday it was £230 so it's gone down in price a few quid. When I looked on Amazon it was coming from CCL anyway but was £10 more expensive again.

I see it's still available on Amazon for £237 and the 24" for £240 (I'm guessing becuase they're from different sellers rather than Amazon themselves): https://www.amazon.co.uk/AOC-24G2U-BK-Widescreen-Multimedia/dp/B07YBHBNJB

Regarding the size, for me 27" is perfect since it's what I'm used to and will be used for work along with a 27" Acer and 23" Dell (for portrait).

@OP - if the 24" isn't available (or like above, it's more expensive) then go with the 27", it's not too big. I've never heard of MaxBurns mentioned in your link but if they're reputable then their price is cheaper again.

Advertisement