Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend: Power screwdriver + drill

• 05-09-2020 5:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We have just got into our new home and will be doing alot of DIY.

I am looking for a basic power screwdriver + drill combo, if such a thing exists? Also if it can be cordless.

I have very little experience in DIY but very good with my current manual screwdriver which has 12 different attachments.

Any advice please?

Max budget : 60 euros.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

For that money just buy something off Amazon with good reviews. Anything I'd recommend would be far outside that budget. It's quite a low price point for most of the recommendations you'll get here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭Romer

About 2 years ago I got a Guild 18v from Argos just to do light stuff around the gaff. The one with 2 batteries comes in a €59-ish. It did everything i needed it for at the time from hanging pictures, building Ikea furniture, and building a couple steel sheds out the back. It's really just a glorified screwdriver as over the weekend i started asking more from it and it started giving me 2 fingers in the form of a slight smoke smell.

So just as i was thinking it's maybe time to upgrade, I got a mail from ScrewFix telling me a Milwaukee Twin Pack was on sale. Who am i to stand in the way of divine intervention?

Big Red for the win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Can you please post the link for milwauke? I don't see any under my budget.
    Romer wrote: »
    About 2 years ago I got a Guild 18v from Argos just to do light stuff around the gaff. The one with 2 batteries comes in a €59-ish. It did everything i needed it for at the time from hanging pictures, building Ikea furniture, and building a couple steel sheds out the back. It's really just a glorified screwdriver as over the weekend i started asking more from it and it started giving me 2 fingers in the form of a slight smoke smell.

So just as i was thinking it's maybe time to upgrade, I got a mail from ScrewFix telling me a Milwaukee Twin Pack was on sale. Who am i to stand in the way of divine intervention?

Big Red for the win!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

buy cord less 18-20 volt drill
    don't bother with cordless screwdriver
    i see people use them they are slow and hard to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

Stanley fatmax drill 18v, have one for 7yrs not a bother on it. Think woodies were doing a deal on them lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I’d buy a cordless hammer drill and an impact driver if you’re doing a lot of screwdriving.

We have a few of the Lidl ones, they’re very good for the money, but being Lidl they’re only on sale a few weeks a year. You can use the same battery/charger across the range of power tools

Can you please post the link for milwauke? I don't see any under my budget.

Yeah sorry. I may have confused the issue there. I was saying for the regular DIY stuff around the house and garden, the Guild from Argos, (or probably any drill in that price range) will do the jobs just fine. It was when I started working with heavier timbers and trying to do multiple drilling into cinder block that the limitations became apparent.

Only real complaint I had about it was the bits that came with it seemed to have been made from warm chocolate. Most of the PH and PZ bits stripped out within a few uses. I got a decent pack from Woodies or off Amazon for maybe €20 that held up much better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Slightly over budget, but I can recommend from personal experience

The blue Bosch 12V range.
    Powerful enough for most DIY jobs, but light and with a small form factor that you can happily use all day long

I've got this drill
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GSB-120-Professional-Batteries/dp/B01N4PT3ST/ref=asc_df_B01N4PT3ST/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226606326869&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16220600396266881934&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007895&hvtargid=pla-388671078635&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

and an impact driver ...took apart and rebuilt a big wooden deck with those.

These machines will last you years and you can always buy different machines that take the same batteries, spare parts, etc.

Having said that ...if you intend on doing a lot of work in concrete, you might have to go 18V or bigger.

https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-fatmax-18v-2ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-2-batteries-fmc626d2k-bqgb/1682356_BQ.prd

Is it this one?

Also, alot of you are suggesting drill. But I don't intend to drill much, mostly screwdriver work. Does the drill have screwdriver function nowadays?
    Stanley fatmax drill 18v, have one for 7yrs not a bother on it. Think woodies were doing a deal on them lately.

It looks sleek and handy.

But does it have screwdriver function also? It's a bit above my budget though :(
    peasant wrote: »
    Slightly over budget, but I can recommend from personal experience

The blue Bosch 12V range.
    Powerful enough for most DIY jobs, but light and with a small form factor that you can happily use all day long

I've got this drill
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bosch-GSB-120-Professional-Batteries/dp/B01N4PT3ST/ref=asc_df_B01N4PT3ST/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=226606326869&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16220600396266881934&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1007895&hvtargid=pla-388671078635&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

and an impact driver ...took apart and rebuilt a big wooden deck with those.

These machines will last you years and you can always buy different machines that take the same batteries, spare parts, etc.

Having said that ...if you intend on doing a lot of work in concrete, you might have to go 18V or bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭Thepillowman

https://www.diy.com/departments/stanley-fatmax-18v-2ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill-2-batteries-fmc626d2k-bqgb/1682356_BQ.prd

Is it this one?

Also, alot of you are suggesting drill. But I don't intend to drill much, mostly screwdriver work. Does the drill have screwdriver function nowadays?

That's the one has put up with a lot of abuse drilling through steel and concrete. Imo with one of these you have a very versatile piece of kit. Drilling and driving screws ideal if you just want a screwdriver get an impact driver got one in aldi 2 yrs ago. Handy in that they are lighter than a drill and a bit shorter in tight spaces.

A cordless hammer drill will also do screwdriving. Get one with a 2 speed gearbox.

An impact driver limits you to using drill bits with hex ends if you ever need to drill a hole. I only got an impact driver recently and did fine for the 20 year’s before that without one.

They’re great for screwdriving but you will certainly be drilling a hole at some point.

I really appreciate your input. I have never done drilling and used screwdriver maybe 10 times a year. But given the fact we have just moved to the new house, I am looking at getting one of these so it will be handy to hang on clocks, paintings, and even perhaps curtain.

Is this a good one?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-msdd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-drill-driver/873FX?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQcu2XwRmiQ0sr0L4NlCHwajfEgPvADwaGawQpYaHYsl73vfDa28YXRoCDbUQAvD_BwE
    colm_mcm wrote: »
    A cordless hammer drill will also do screwdriving. Get one with a 2 speed gearbox.

An impact driver limits you to using drill bits with hex ends if you ever need to drill a hole. I only got an impact driver recently and did fine for the 20 year’s before that without one.

They’re great for screwdriving but you will certainly be drilling a hole at some point.

Try and get one with a 2 speed gearbox (lower speed and higher torque for screwdriving) 13mm chuck (Handy if you need to drill a 1/2” hole in something) and hammer action. There’s another almost identical model to the one you linked for €59.95

Can’t comment on MacAllister. I think it’s a makey-uppy brand that B&Q and Screwfix sell.

I really appreciate your input. I have never done drilling and used screwdriver maybe 10 times a year. But given the fact we have just moved to the new house, I am looking at getting one of these so it will be handy to hang on clocks, paintings, and even perhaps curtain.

Is this a good one?

https://www.screwfix.ie/p/mac-allister-msdd18-li-2-18v-1-5ah-li-ion-cordless-drill-driver/873FX?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQcu2XwRmiQ0sr0L4NlCHwajfEgPvADwaGawQpYaHYsl73vfDa28YXRoCDbUQAvD_BwE

The reviews on it seem all positive. It'll do what you need it do.

I've never personally used Mac Allister but anyone who has has good things to say about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Worked in carpentry for many years
    Milwakee complete pice of crp.Did not used my self but lads has many problems with them.Many complaints.
    Avoid Dewalt/Black decker (same brand any way)
    Had Makita,not bad but new models getting worse
    Mostly I was always worked/still work with blue Bosch.This tools I was actually always buying for my self and still use after many years.
    Green Bosch are great too,some lads using them in cabinet making at daily basis.
    Parkside Lidl stuff are good too as far I know.I use 12 volts at home sometimes /they are my home tools which I always use at home.
    The 12 volts drill with removable chuck has problem with magnetic holder under removable chuck. Magnet broke in first day.
    I am absolutelly love 12 volts SDS hammer drill,slow but right,a real bargain at that price
    12 volts multitool are piece of crp,avoid it
    The 20 volts drill really worth atention.12 volts not always great for heavy tasks like 5 by 100 screws.
    Never used Aldi cordles drils bus them routers work for me about 10 years.

For heavier tasks always use impact drills with better torque.
    For example standard 2 speed usually has about 35/45 NM when impact has 100/130
    Buying standard drill always look at how much NM it has.

Very helpful.

I am looking for drill with screwdriver function. But when I type in SDS then the cheapest drill is over 120 euros.

Can you recommend a particular one?
    Worked in carpentry for many years
    Milwakee complete pice of crp.Did not used my self but lads has many problems with them.Many complaints.
    Avoid Dewalt/Black decker (same brand any way)
    Had Makita,not bad but new models getting worse
    Mostly I was always worked/still work with blue Bosch.This tools I was actually always buying for my self and still use after many years.
    Green Bosch are great too,some lads using them in cabinet making at daily basis.
    Parkside Lidl stuff are good too as far I know.I use 12 volts at home sometimes /they are my home tools which I always use at home.
    The 12 volts drill with removable chuck has problem with magnetic holder under removable chuck. Magnet broke in first day.
    I am absolutelly love 12 volts SDS hammer drill,slow but right,a real bargain at that price
    12 volts multitool are piece of crp,avoid it
    The 20 volts drill really worth atention.12 volts not always great for heavy tasks like 5 by 100 screws.
    Never used Aldi cordles drils bus them routers work for me about 10 years.

The SDS is for drilling into brick/concrete.I bought my drill for 54 euros at Lidl.You just need to wait untill it appear there again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

listermint wrote: »
    For that money just buy something off Amazon with good reviews. Anything I'd recommend would be far outside that budget. It's quite a low price point for most of the recommendations you'll get here.
    A lot of amazon reviews are fake or paid reviews ignore 5 star reviews
    And go to 3 star reviews

https://marketingland.com/study-finds-61-percent-of-electronics-reviews-on-amazon-are-fake-254055

• Advertisement

Very helpful.

I am looking for drill with screwdriver function. But when I type in SDS then the cheapest drill is over 120 euros.

Can you recommend a particular one?

Lidl Parkside VS Blue Bosch

The only thing in this video the Parkside is 45NM the Bosch are 55 ! Mean Bosch are stronger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn19Rs9hnDI&ab_channel=WARSZTATUJAKUBA

You don’t really need an SDS drill though.
    Good and all as they are for drilling into concrete - a regular cordless hammer drill will be more versatile.

You don’t really need an SDS drill though.
    Good and all as they are for drilling into concrete - a regular cordless hammer drill will be more versatile.

Not really because concrete usually has stones inside and once you will get to the stone you will spend hours to drill the hole.
    Many things also depends on drill bits which are for bricks or concrete and not all them are perfect.Some need hammer option some does not.
    SDS is SDS and good everywhere.Well sometimes you need use less power driling into ceramic tiles then you better use just a drill without hammer option.Or if you drill to corner/near beside edge of the brick SDS also could break it.

Here is 12 and 20 volts SDS Parkside test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjw5pLBpVNA&app=desktop&ab_channel=bricovideo.ovh

I use 12 volts because I have 12 volts drill plus 12 volts hedge trimmer.For small quick jobs very nice tools Not for site work !

The only thing I am very disappointed with 12 volts cordless because magnet in magnetic holder under the chuck broke very first day

This one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTIFEmV9yVc&ab_channel=TechGuruAndrew

Not really because concrete usually has stones inside and once you will get to the stone you will spend hours to drill the hole.
    Many things also depends on drill bits which are for bricks or concrete and not all them are perfect.Some need hammer option some does not.
    SDS is SDS and good everywhere.Well sometimes you need use less power driling into ceramic tiles then you better use just a drill without hammer option.Or if you drill to corner/near beside edge of the brick SDS also could break it.

An SDS drill is rubbish for screwdriving for example. Drilling into metal or wood and you’re looking at using an adaptor to take regular bits.

If you were to only have one drill to do household stuff in a new house like the OP has just moved into then you’d be mental to have just an SDS.

An SDS drill is rubbish for screwdriving for example. Drilling into metal or wood and you’re looking at using an adaptor to take regular bits.

If you were to only have one drill to do household stuff in a new house like the OP has just moved into then you’d be mental to have just an SDS.

With my skills I will enough only electric drill for DIY

For those who does not have will need cordless/impact/SDS drills

Sometimes you dont need hammer action on your drill at all ! There is plenty drill bits which can be used without hammer action and using them with hammer action they will be destroyed.

With my skills I will enough only electric drill for DIY

For those who does not have will need cordless/impact/SDS drills

Sometimes you dont need hammer action on your drill at all ! There is plenty drill bits which can be used without hammer action and using them with hammer action they will be destroyed.

I’m starting to doubt your skills to be honest.

I’m starting to doubt your skills to be honest.
    No problem there at all.
    Take light 500-750 watts electric drill.
    Same speed adjustment as at cordless but more power
    Once you just it you will be all right.
    Disadvantages cord / not easy to use from first day/no torque adjustment/ can be burn on heavy tasks as using for bolts
    Advantages bigger power/stronger hammer action/facility use bigger drill bits/35 mm bits for hinges on kitchen/wardrobe/etc
    Some guys on joinery factories use them at work no problem

You can’t use a regular drill for low speed screwdriving for example, you’ll burn the motor out, and you don’t have anywhere near the torque at low speeds as a cordless because of the gearing.

I have used a corded drill for repeated driving screws into timber back in the day, but that was at a decent speed where accuracy wasn’t needed, and a totally different use to what the OP will have.

• Advertisement

Thanks all. Really appreciate all the advice given here.
    I have ordered a combi drill. Let's see how it is :)

I forgot to post the link of combi drill that I ordered.
    It will arrive next week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079K56H8T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_FnfEFbQP13STH

Drill bits were additional 25€.

Do you think I can place screws using this into the outside walls of house? Torque is 40 Nm.

You can’t use a regular drill for low speed screwdriving for example, you’ll burn the motor out, and you don’t have anywhere near the torque at low speeds as a cordless because of the gearing.

I have used a corded drill for repeated driving screws into timber back in the day, but that was at a decent speed where accuracy wasn’t needed, and a totally different use to what the OP will have.
    I was using blue Bosch 750 watts drill in cabinet making each time when I had my cordless drill batteries flat with no problem.I was putting even 3.5 x 17 for draw runners. If you use 3.5x 70 with pilot hole or without you can go no problem.But if you work with 6 x 100 or even 5x 70 without pilot hole then it will be problem and drill will be burn eventually.I killed drill just because I used is as mortiser for cutting locks to the doors.She earned plenty money for me,great drill.

I forgot to post the link of combi drill that I ordered.
    It will arrive next week.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079K56H8T/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_FnfEFbQP13STH

Drill bits were additional 25€.

Do you think I can place screws using this into the outside walls of house? Torque is 40 Nm.

This Black&Decker probably the simpliest version of Dewalt with longer time battery charger.Keep battery fully charged before long time storage ! I lost couple lithium batteries which been completely flat for about 3 months !

Depends which bits you will use.

For example some of them does not even need hammer action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-AmKfffuE&ab_channel=DIPTgroup

Thanks a million for the advice on battery.

The one I got has hammer function also, it was 10 euro more. I will check the video now.
    This Black&Decker probably the simpliest version of Dewalt with longer time battery charger.Keep battery fully charged before long time storage ! I lost couple lithium batteries which been completely flat for about 3 months !

Depends which bits you will use.

For example some of them does not even need hammer action

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-AmKfffuE&ab_channel=DIPTgroup

Advertisement