Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Scottish Shortbread. Can I use white castor sugar instead of brown sugar?

Options
  • 05-09-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

I dont have brown sugar. Can white castor sugar be used in Scottish shortbread?
    Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: I've moved this into the main Food forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,007 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The shortbread will likely be a bit drier and paler. As shortbread is already quite dry I'd suspect it may be a step too far and mess up the actual baking process.

Basically - its not just a colour difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,569 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Haven't made it in a while (like maybe 40 years) but I thought it was always made with castor sugar! Don't ever remember using brown sugar.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

What recipe are you using? I’ve never seen a recipe for shortbread that calls from brown sugar, tbh - every one I’ve ever seen calls for caster sugar.

So to answer your question - yes, you can use caster sugar, but I’d also suggest trying a different recipe to be sure it works out.

Advertisement