Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1200 metre external cable run

Options
  • 05-09-2020 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭

I am thinking to bring my own broadband to my remote house, it is located on my farm which has direct line of sight to a house I have in the nearby village which has 100mb VDSL. Perched on the mountain it would be a simple 6 km hop, the only obstacle is Electricity. To run a power cable from the house to the mountain top is a 1200m span, 1.2km, it would need to be armor plated as most of it would be unburied, I would bury it crossing quad tracks and the like, within 2-3 years it would bury itself as it would slowly sink into the bog and cover over.

I know of two examples where similar undertakings were done, one of them costing €14k to bring broadband to a remote hotel with a 1.5km electric cable run to a mountain over 600m high.

I am also thinking to do a PV Solar and battery bank option but if I thought that the electric cable was doable within reason I'd go with that.

The power consumption on the mountain top would be miniscule with a few antennas and a network switch, I am thinking to lay fibre from the mountain top with the electric cable if it is feasible to bring the connection back to the house instead of a second antenna.

The National Broadband Plan is at least 5 years away where I live and with the current state of politics and outrageous debt and health fuelled social spending I will only believe it when I have the connection in front of me and I could see it getting cancelled.

Possible yes I am sure, financially feasible is another question.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

From a technical perspective it could be done of course. You would be talking at least a 25mm cable. - a ballpark of €10k+

But I would have serious reservations as regards to proposed means of running it up there. It won’t be a safe or reliable installation.

A suitably sized PV arrangement and battery storage sounds like the way to go to me.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

theguzman wrote: »
    To run a power cable from the house to the mountain top is a 1200m span, 1.2km, it would need to be armor plated as most of it would be unburied, I would bury it crossing quad tracks and the like, within 2-3 years it would bury itself as it would slowly sink into the bog and cover over.

You would need to own the land for the entire cable route. In addition it would be better not to transmit at 230 volts. A step up transformer at the supply end and a step down transformer at the other end would be the way to go.
    I am also thinking to do a PV Solar and battery bank option

That would make much more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I came across this recently in a video and I thought at that time they would be perfect for your type of situation. I think they would be worth exploring. They also sell a mounting kit which allows you to align them perfectly, which you probably will need.

https://eu.store.ui.com/collections/operator-airmax-and-ltu/products/gbe-lr

airMAX AC 60 GHz/5 GHz Radio with 1+ Gbps Throughput and Up to 2 km Range

Featuring a high-gain dish antenna, the GigaBeam LR is a 60 GHz radio designed for low-interference and high-throughput connectivity in long-range deployments. It includes a 5 GHz radio for failover. For the 60 GHz link, the GigaBeam LR supports full bandwidth use of 2.16 GHz. The dedicated management radio allows easy setup via Wi-Fi.

Features:

60 GHz radio with 5 GHz radio backup
    Low-interference 60 GHz spectrum
    Up to 1+ Gbps with low latency
    Long-range performance
    2.4 GHz management radio
    Full bandwidth support: 2.16 GHz

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

1 volt drop for every meter.
    it's probably also illegal to run it yourself
    you can get windmill on eBay for few hundred but don't believe output it's about 3rd
    for internet get parabolic dishes
    you can use 2
    Ubiquiti LBE-5AC-GEN2-US LiteBeam

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

wind turbine but don't believe output it's probably 3rd
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=wind+turbine&_sop=10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

You will require a broadcast licence to transmit any signal broadband or otherwise.
    Contact Comreg for more information but I would not hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Get a cheap phone with unlimited mobile network..and turn it into a hot-spot.. You're Welcome.

Emmmm I take it that wouldn't work!?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    1 volt drop for every meter.

Nope.
    The volt drop depends on things:
    1) The conductor resistance.
    2) The current flowing through the conductor.

As we don't know either of the above there is no way of determining the volt drop.

Besides if correct it would be a volt drop of 1200V :)
    Get a cheap phone with unlimited mobile network..and turn it into a hot-spot.

This is what I was thinking but I assume that there is no coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Get a cheap phone with unlimited mobile network..and turn it into a hot-spot.. You're Welcome.

Emmmm I take it that wouldn't work!?

Well if is perched on top of a hill and he is prepared to erect an antenna then there is a possibility it would work using a hot spot device. But he would still need to solve the power issue which was his opening question.

• Advertisement

Cerco wrote: »
    Well if is perched on top of a hill and he is prepared to erect an antenna then there is a possibility it would work using a hot spot device.

I think we can take it that this would be a last resort.
    But he would still need to solve the power issue which was his opening question.

I took power was only required for internet. A mobile phone and laptop are battery powered and the battery can be recharged from a very small power source such as solar panels.

As above I would doubt there is sufficient mobile reception or this would be my preferred solution.

I powered a laptop with 100W of solar for 5 years. I'd say 33% of my posts were powered by that panel (actually 150W shared by other loads...mostly lighting).
    FYI you're better off powering the laptop from the solar battery instead of powering a laptop from a laptop battery from a solar battery.

Hilltops are renowned for good wind. I'd do both but good small wind turbines are very expensive and super rare (because most manufacturers are outright liars), forget the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

He has power in both houses... hasn't he? But needs to get power up to the hill for the Broadband extender.. I think?? It's a bit confusing anyhows.

Extra low voltage, low power consumption appliance power source required at a remote elevated position with wireless data transmission to local receiver.

24V FLA golf cart battery. DC-DC regulators for appliances. A coupla cheap and cheerful solar panels ~600W maybe. PWM MorningStar solar controller. Wind or automate a genset with an external fuel tank for November to March.

My agent will be in touch for the system design fees...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 69,103 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cerco wrote: »
    You will require a broadcast licence to transmit any signal broadband or otherwise.
    Contact Comreg for more information but I would not hold my breath.

Plenty of non-licenced bands and bugger all chance of congestion on them in open countryside.

Even if, somehow, 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz are actually jammers in the area - 24Ghz kit is now affordable.

You're going to need planning to put microwave dishes in, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

House A and House B both have electricity, ontop of the mountain there is nothing, the cable run would be based entirely within my own land but it looks prohibitive from a cost view, possible in theory but non economic.

Ontop of the mountain I would need to run two Antennas once capturing the signal incoming from the urban house with broadband and the other sending down the mountain to the remote rural house.

Alternatively ontop of the mountain there is full 4G signal and all I would need would be a 4G Router to feed the 4G signal into an antenna for beaming back down to the remote house. Either way I would need 2 gadgets powered 24/7.

I had not even thought of a small wind turbine, the location of the access point has wind 365 days a year however I would be concerned as the windspeeds there would be upto 200km/h during bad weather events. The location is at 630m above sea level and unfortunately I would need to go to the top of the mountain for line of sight between urban and rural houses.

A solar and wind option combination might be the best as during the winter the low lying sun may not provide enough juice and during the summer wind might not be sufficent although a lack of sunlight seems more likely than a lack of wind, the wind is also extremely variable compared to a typical 8-10hr daylight exposure.

300W panels are <€90 these days oversize to your heart's content and I won't lie they do square root eff all in daylight saving time (I always hang horizontally though). Angle enough of them low and you might get by.

200kmph wow...I think that's pushing the envelope.
    You'll need a serious machine.

Leading edge make decent small turbines.
    Rutland are ok.
    For every 1 genuine manufacturer there's 200 spoofers.
    I'm not sure either will survive 200 kmph. Answer on tinternet.

Consider horizontal axis variants only.
    Vertical axis turbines are art not turbines

Genset automation is not difficult. You'd probably get by with 4 hours runtime a month if the charger is big enough.

theguzman wrote: »
    the cable run would be based entirely within my own land but it looks prohibitive from a cost view, possible in theory but non economic.

Yes, running the cable would be ridiculously expensive.
    ontop of the mountain there is full 4G signal and all I would need would be a 4G Router to feed the 4G signal into an antenna for beaming back down to the remote house.

Is there 4G at the remote house?
    I had not even thought of a small wind turbine, the location of the access point has wind 365 days a year however I would be concerned as the windspeeds there would be upto 200km/h during bad weather events.

I would avoid the wind turbine idea. High mechanical wear and too much to go wrong. My preference would be solar.

Advertisement