Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bamboo worktop oil

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭db

use Osmo oil, it's food safe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Use osmo oil if you want to spend a fortune. Or just look up chopping board oil on eBay. Food safe. Cheaper and comes in larger quantities because you will have to top up the counter every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Thanks for all the advice. Do I apply this with a paintbrush (new) or cloth? Or does it matter?

forumdedum wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice. Do I apply this with a paintbrush (new) or cloth? Or does it matter?

Cloth. Microfiber. Rub in circles

listermint wrote: »
    Cloth. Microfiber. Rub in circles

Thank you!

• Advertisement

I was in Woodies yesterday. They had no Osmo oil so I bought Rustin's Linseed oil (not the boiled one). I read somewhere that linseed oil is foodsafe. Should I proceed? The surface is Bamboo.

I was in Woodies yesterday. They had no Osmo oil so I bought Rustin's Linseed oil (not the boiled one). I read somewhere that linseed oil is foodsafe. Should I proceed? The surface is Bamboo.

Read the instructions on the back...

listermint wrote: »
    Read the instructions on the back...

I have read them just now. What am I looking out for?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I only use osmo or beeswax. Linseed will smell.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    I only use osmo or beeswax. Linseed will smell.

The IKEA website says Linseed Oil beside the Bamboo top.

Will linseed smell long term or just when applying?

• Advertisement

The IKEA website says Linseed Oil beside the Bamboo top.

Will linseed smell long term or just when applying?

If you are anywhere near a McDonnells paint shop they sell Osmo oil. Its not expensive and I get at least 4 coats of my worktops out of a tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭twignme

I have an end grain maple butcher block since 1984 and I use warm mineral oil on it. Always does the trick, no taste or odour.

db wrote: »
    If you are anywhere near a McDonnells paint shop they sell Osmo oil. Its not expensive and I get at least 4 coats of my worktops out of a tin.

I'm not near a McDonnells paint shop but I'm sure I can locate. Which Osmo oil for the bamboo worktop? There's a few types.

I use Osmo Top Oil 3058 but it depends on the finish you want. There are a good few youtube videos on how to apply it to get a good finish and you would see which oils they are using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭TTTT

Mineral oil from a chemist is food safe.

db wrote: »
    I use Osmo Top Oil 3058 but it depends on the finish you want. There are a good few youtube videos on how to apply it to get a good finish and you would see which oils they are using.

Thanks for that. I love the finish of the new product I bought already. So whatever doesn't affect that too much.

TTTT wrote: »
    Mineral oil from a chemist is food safe.

Thanks for that. Think I'll go that route for a few cutting boards I have.

Advertisement