Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google keeps asking me to sign in

Options
  • 05-09-2020 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I use firefox and google to search. lately Google keeps asking me to sign in when i search. I do not ever sign in unless it was a youtube that needs sign in very rare.then i immediately sign out

Why is this request to sign in do i have to drop google?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

They give you more accurate results when you sign in. They can use your search history to provide more relevant suggestions, stuff like that. So say if you set your home address in Google Maps, when you search a business you can ask for directions "from home".

There are pure keyword search engines that don't manipulate the results and spy. I use duckduckgo.com . It doesn't try to create a profile on me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

They give you more accurate results when you sign in. They can use your search history to provide more relevant suggestions, stuff like that. So say if you set your home address in Google Maps, when you search a business you can ask for directions "from home".

There are pure keyword search engines that don't manipulate the results and spy. I use duckduckgo.com . It doesn't try to create a profile on me.
    i use duckduckgo now too but the results are not as good and it has some sort of adcvert link saying add to firefox or something

Is there any way to stop the google asking to sign in?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

i use duckduckgo now too but the results are not as good and it has some sort of adcvert link saying add to firefox or something

Have you tried using a private window in Firefox? Ctrl+Shift+P

Davy wrote: »
    Have you tried using a private window in Firefox? Ctrl+Shift+P
    i want to save history

• Registered Users Posts: 12,444 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

so does Marty McFly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Google has an incentive to keep users signed in. It has to do with abuse of their service. A lot of people write apps that try to browse it programmatically.

The duckduckgo plugin is for adding it as your main search provider in the browser.

There is also:

https://www.startpage.com/

Which used to / is combining results from several search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BernardJohnson

+1 for startpage.com

Google has an incentive to keep users signed in. It has to do with abuse of their service. A lot of people write apps that try to browse it programmatically.

The duckduckgo plugin is for adding it as your main search provider in the browser.

There is also:

https://www.startpage.com/

Which used to / is combining results from several search engines.
    What does "A lot of people write apps that try to browse it programmatically." mean? Browse it as a bot?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You'll still be being fingerprinted so signing out is fairly futile. Not even using private browsing though that wouldn't anonymise you.

Advertisement