Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on upgrading for new 3070 cards

Options
  • 06-09-2020 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Hi there I have the following system and I am looking for advice on what to upgrade to get better performance for gaming. Do I need to do a complete over haul if I wanted to upgrade to new video card?

CPU i5-6600k CPU
    Cooler Shadow Rock2
    Motherboard Asus Z170-K
    Memory 2x 8gb ddr4 3000
    StorageMX200 500GB
    Video Card Inno 3D triple X GTX 1070
    Case Antec GX500
    Power SupplyPure Power 600W

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

The i5 will be a bit of an issue going forward and i7s are holding their value, not that they're ideal either. You could look at a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X the former being 6 cores 12 threads and the latter being 8/16. Personally though I'd wait until the end of the year / next year and see what the Ryzen 4000 series brings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

The i5 will be a bit of an issue going forward and i7s are holding their value, not that they're ideal either. You could look at a Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X the former being 6 cores 12 threads and the latter being 8/16. Personally though I'd wait until the end of the year / next year and see what the Ryzen 4000 series brings.

If I went with Ryzen 5 3600 or Ryzen 7 3700X, does that mean a new motherboard?

padair wrote: »

Yes. You're on an Intel system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

padair wrote: »

You'll need a new motherboard even if you're upgrading to one of the latest gen intel CPUs too, they'll have a newer socket. The only CPU you could upgrade to without swapping motherboards would be an i7-7700k and I'm not sure that'd be worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

You might also have to upgrade your PSU, apparently.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

you might not get your hands on card for year and it might not be as fast or cheap as they make out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭padair

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    you might not get your hands on card for year and it might not be as fast or cheap as they make out
    What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

bobbyy gee wrote: »

No offense bobbyy gee but you talk some sh!te :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

JoyPad wrote: »
    You might also have to upgrade your PSU, apparently.

I'd say the one he has will be grand. The 3070 is only 220/230w same as a top end 5700XT. AIB cards will have standard connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I'd say the one he has will be grand. The 3070 is only 220/230w same as a top end 5700XT. AIB cards will have standard connectors.

Ah, yes. I must have missed the title where the OP said 2070, and I was thinking of my own conundrum with the 3080 on a 650W PSU.

• Advertisement
Advertisement