Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killing the art's, entertainment and creativity

Options
  • 06-09-2020 1:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭

Myself and my girlfriend are very creative and love art, music and entertainment.

We think people are starved of not being able to get out and about and enjoy a bit of music, go to the theater etc

I think the government hasn't thought about the impact on people who like to be free and expressive.

It's all about the problem and there's no solution to people's mental health and wellness.
    It's almost as if they're punishing everyone.

I'm a Clare man myself and I can honestly say that Michael McNamara is the only politician who's making any sense.

Check him out on Facebook he post's his question time frequently, I'd say they're sorry now they gave him that position.

Because he's not thick and is emotionally and academically intelligent, so he's a thorn in their side that's for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I agree with you.
    I definitely miss live music and theatre - as soon as cinemas reopened I started going and plan to continue. Not having any of these outlets for 5 months was really tough mentally.

Realistically though, what were the options? You couldn't possibly have thousands of people in big venues, sitting/standing next to each other and then trying to get out of the venue. Same would apply for smaller venues where social distancing would be difficult. I think the art space needs a bit more time to figure out how to do things and make teh business model financially viable.

Personally I will definitely continue going to gigs and theatres as soon as they reopen, but possibly change my habits for the short-to-medium term until things with the virus settle. As things stand I have 8 events coming up. Most have been postponed for 2021. I have 2 more this year, one in the beginning of October and one in December - I expect both to be rescheduled. I also have a list of another 10-12 concerts scheduled for 2021 that I would like to go, but haven't bought tickets yet - i just wait to see how things will play out in the next couple of months.

I think we just need to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

This is a big thing for me. Going to the NCH or the theatre was something I enjoyed at least a couple of times a month. It was something I made a bit of an event out of, dressing up and dinner before or after kind of thing. Missing that and holidays abroad has been a real drag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

We're in a pandemic, it's not like the government wants to be doing this.

There are priorities in society, including in particular workplaces and schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We're a while away I'd say but dialogue has opened up on it and Catherine Martin seems keen to get things going.

https://www.hotpress.com/music/ncfa-release-statement-following-meeting-with-catherine-martin-about-future-of-live-arts-22826396

hmmm wrote: »

There are priorities in society, including in particular workplaces and schools.

Does that mean we can't discuss things we miss? Things that are important to us? Think of ways to bring them back?

As if any of us could actually forget we are in a pandemic. Mind you I think it would be healthy to try and forget for at least a few hours a week.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Some of us are out of school and work hard we're entitled to discuss the lack of lustre from our government on how to trust people who are artistic, creative and can manage to enjoy the art's and entertainment without breaking the new draconian rules.

Couples and friends should be able to dance togetherand be entertained and enjoy music etc

It seems to me that we're living in a dictatorship now, and when this covid 19 came, it gave the powers that be enough excuse to guilt shame people, control our movements, where we eat, sleep and meet.

Ironically I gave Michael McNamara my no 1 vote and he's the only one making sense at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

nthclare wrote: »
    It seems to me that we're living in a dictatorship now, and when this covid 19 came, it gave the powers that be enough excuse to guilt shame people, control our movements, where we eat, sleep and meet.
    Get over yourself, we're in a pandemic with a respiratory virus, and everyone is suffering. We all have to make some sacrifices. We'll get through this even with all the moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Get over yourself, we're in a pandemic with a respiratory virus, and everyone is suffering. We all have to make some sacrifices. We'll get through this even with all the moaning.

Most of all we're in the greatest bollix mass hysteria ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Having to read your incessant fear-mongering on multiple threads, can’t be good for people’s mental health either

1777 people have died due to Covid in this country alone since March, and millions worldwide.

And your worried about not being able to dance and be entertained and go to gigs and be "expressive".

You think you're being punished?

Jesus ****ing wept.

• Advertisement

1777 people have died due to Covid in this country alone since March, and millions worldwide.

And your worried about not being able to dance and be entertained and go to gigs and be "expressive".

Jesus ****ing wept.

Once again an inability to understand individual experiences raises its head.

After we are through the pandemic I am going to offer classes called "how to walk in another person's shoes".

After we are through the pandemic I am going to offer classes called "how to walk in another person's shoes".

Oh get stuffed with the patronising bull****.

Seriously.

Oh get stuffed with the patronising bull****.

Seriously.

I read your post in the other thread and felt for you. I was going to pm you to share some of the things I've been doing that has helped me. I didn't because I felt it might be inappropriate.
    Turns out not doing so was a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

Jesus ****ing wept.

0.02% of our population have died of this. (Corrected, thanks!)

Please relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

Any idea how many people are employed in the arts? Are their workplaces not equally important?

Jesus ****ing wept.

So we aren't allowed to express an opinion that we miss gigs? Seriously? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,571 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Electric Picnic would have been on this weekend. I miss festivals and gigs. Hopefully next year. This one is a write off. I managed to get to a couple at the start of the year but that was it. I play in a band and we haven't even had a practice since the start of March. It doesn't help that our drummer thinks he got Covid back in April (no test) but hasn't fully recovered...

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

bluelamp wrote: »
    0.0002% of our population have died of this.

Please relax.

I'm in the overreaction camp myself but I think your maths is a bit off there all the same?

Please relax.

Yes, one of them was my mother, so don't tell me to relax.

I'm sick of tired of reading selfish posts from selfish people moaning about selfish things, who literally care more about pints, and pubs being opened, and being "entertained", then anything else.

This pandemic has taken barely SIX MONTHS out what will hopefully be a very long life for most people. But the way some people are carrying on, you'd swear it had been six years.

And then to suggest that the measures the government are taking to try and stop the spread is being done to punish people - utterly ridiculous, conspiracy theory stuff.

Like I said, jesus ****ing wept. I despair of some people.

Penfailed wrote: »
    Electric Picnic would have been on this weekend. I miss festivals and gigs. Hopefully next year. This one is a write off. I managed to get to a couple at the start of the year but that was it. I play in a band and we haven't even had a practice since the start of March. It doesn't help that our drummer thinks he got Covid back in April (no test) but hasn't fully recovered...

Yeah, I think so too, probably nothing big until March I reckon. That will be one year without any live music, really long time for us music lovers.
    Hope you can get to start practicing with your band soon :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭bluelamp

I'm in the overreaction camp myself but I think your maths is a bit off there all the same?

It was a quick calculation, but 1200 is the higher estimate of Hiqa's recent study on deaths, and Irelands population is about 4.9 million I believe.

It was a quick calculation, but 1200 is the higher estimate of Hiqa's recent study on deaths, and Irelands population is about 4.9 million I believe.

0.024%

We will have each other ripped apart before this is over. Angry with everyone but the virus.

My mam is in a nursing home with dementia. My dad's life revolved around his daily visits. It was more than seeimg mammy, it was having the craic with the other residents and the nurses. The music and dancing and bingo. It was important to all of them.

Covid has taken so much from him. The fabric of his world was small but meaningful, now its scary especially as he is in cognitive decline himself. What good would it do me to shake my fists at a group of young ones having a party? It won't change the nature of the virus. Why would I criticise a person on here for missing sport or concerts? It won't make Covid disappear.

Why in the name of Jaysus can we not come together a bit more in all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Please relax.

Seems that not seeing other points of view works in both camps,

We all have different priorities and elements of the restrictions that impact us more.

Personally I miss the live music but accept the reality that it won't happen until next spring at the earliest.

I also accept that people have lost loved ones due to the virus and people have been very ill (I know two personally) and find this reducing it to a ridiculous statistic (which is two decimal places out) is simply crass,

nthclare wrote: »
    Some of us are out of school and work hard we're entitled to discuss the lack of lustre from our government on how to trust people who are artistic, creative and can manage to enjoy the art's and entertainment without breaking the new draconian rules.

Couples and friends should be able to dance together and be entertained and enjoy music etc

I have no issue with anyone saying that they miss miss something, but when you start posting crap like the above?

While a dangerous virus is still circulating and case numbers are climbing?

Then you really need to take a long, hard look at your priorities, imo.

the amount of posts and threads that seem to think that the govt have come up with a global pandemic just to order them around for no reason

its just such an incredible, childish outlook.

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Seems that not seeing other points of view works in both camps,

We all have different priorities and elements of the restrictions that impact us more.

Personally I miss the live music but accept the reality that it won't happen until next spring at the earliest.

I also accept that people have lost loved ones due to the virus and people have been very ill (I know two personally) and find this reducing it to a ridiculous statistic (which is two decimal places out) is simply crass,

As you quoted me I'll respond.

I have nothing but understanding and compassion for every person affected by Covid. All I ask is the same in return.

We’ve allowed a mild illness to destroy our economy, put a hold on important screenings and treatments, and ruin our way of life....

While most of Europe are getting on with things

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Jesus ****ing wept.

This is what I'm talking about, people trying to guilt shame people into oblivion, and lecture them because people died from Covid 19.

And I never said that people didn't die from Covid 19, all I posted about was the fact that this panemmic has taken a lot away from people who are creative etc

One's worried about people's mental health and trying to get some balance back into their lives, and maybe bring people closer together again.

And another translates it into something totally off the scale.

Very much like blaming all the Germans for Hitler kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,202 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ha! Living in a dictatorship.
    Listen, you wouldn't know what a dictatorship or a police state was if it bit you on the arse. Thank your lucky stars you're living here.

I miss all these things, but I just get the fcuk on with it.
    All this fcuking whining about police states is like if someone in 1940s blitz London was going "fcuk this, no ones gonna tell me turn my lights out, these Gerry bombers are a hoax I tells ya, boo hoo what about my rights??!!!"
    It's like listening to small children having a temper tantrum. Grow up.

Advertisement