Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live in a Holiday Home

Options
  • 06-09-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭

There's talk of working arrangements changing post-Covid. Fully-remote and hybrid working arrangements becoming more of the norm, etc..

Just wondering if anyone has considered buying a property that would normally have been sold as a holiday home but instead buying it for the purposes of living in? Obviously any house would require a decent broadband connection, but I've seen some nice houses that are quite a bit more affordable than 'normal' housing in towns and cities and it could facilitate a nicer lifestyle.

Just wondering if I'm missing something. E.g., perhaps if they were built explicitly for temporary holiday accommodation, they wouldn't be built to as high a standard? Any other potential cons/drawbacks?

Has anybody gone down this route? If so, how has it gone for you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,940 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Insulation

Planning permission

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Insulation

Planning permission

+1 to both of these

Planning permission is the biggest potential issue for a specific holiday build

Storage - often none

Laundry facilities may be sub-par or shared

Kitchen facilities are often poor and have limited to no food or utensil storage

Even non-specific builds will have their issues if they've been holiday homes for a long time. My parents one was bought as a run-down traditional cottage in the late 70s and modernisation since has followed the standards you'd expect for a holiday cottage - tiny fridge and no space for a full size, one tiny wardrobe in one bedroom and a single shelf in the hot press in the other; toilets are in the en-suites with no main; no storage anywhere other than that in the bedrooms; limited number of sockets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

sometimes your only allowed live there a certain amount time in year
    alot are badly built and lack insulation
    as people don't live there all year you get a lot of break ins

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

Thanks for the responses. Good points above.

One thing that also occurred to me: during the off-season, much or your neighbouring houses could be empty for much of the year.

Curious about the planning permission point. I presume you still need to apply for permission before you build up a holiday home, regardless of how long you intend to live there. Given many of these houses are in scenic areas, would have assumed planners are *more* strict, at least as far as outward aesthetics go.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,782 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dedicated holiday home planning may have ignored service provision that full time residences would need - schools, medical, transport etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement