Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drink driving summons

• 06-09-2020 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi, sorry dont know if i can post here but im enquiring for a close friend who unfortunately made the stupid, wreck less, selfish and dangerous decision while intoxicated to drive home drunk from his family members house back in May 2020. He reckons he figured he'd be OK as his home was a ten minute drive in the sticks but ended up getting caught by gardai. He's paid for it big time as he's lost his job etc.. Before everyone going on about what might have happened he's already aware and knows too well as his cousin was killed by a drunk driver. He truthfully never took this chance before and it was a case of getting home as he had to let a friend in the next morning...no excuses though.. Anyway to cut a long story short gardai said the summons would be out soon he still hasn't received anything and is eager to get it out of the way as its sent him into a depression and wants to try and move on. My question is..is there a hold up with the district courts due to covid or do these summonses usually take months to arrive? I agree it was an asshole thing for him to do and he was lucky no one got killed but I feel his depression is getting serious and would like this thing to be over for him.. He hasn't touched a drink since..and I keep telling him how lucky he is but its just getting dragged out. Do the gardai do this on purpose

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

do the gardai purposely hold up drink driving prosecutions in order to depress your close friend ?

no

there is a delay because of covid and access to courts

get a solicitor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

At least this reckless act was wreck less.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭wush06

Trans Ann wrote: »
    Hi, sorry dont know if i can post here but im enquiring for a close friend who unfortunately made the stupid, wreck less, selfish and dangerous decision while intoxicated to drive home drunk from his family members house back in May 2020. He reckons he figured he'd be OK as his home was a ten minute drive in the sticks but ended up getting caught by gardai. He's paid for it big time as he's lost his job etc.. Before everyone going on about what might have happened he's already aware and knows too well as his cousin was killed by a drunk driver. He truthfully never took this chance before and it was a case of getting home as he had to let a friend in the next morning...no excuses though.. Anyway to cut a long story short gardai said the summons would be out soon he still hasn't received anything and is eager to get it out of the way as its sent him into a depression and wants to try and move on. My question is..is there a hold up with the district courts due to covid or do these summonses usually take months to arrive? I agree it was an asshole thing for him to do and he was lucky no one got killed but I feel his depression is getting serious and would like this thing to be over for him.. He hasn't touched a drink since..and I keep telling him how lucky he is but its just getting dragged out. Do the gardai do this on purpose

Good I’m glad he feels **** and hopefully the full arm of the law will apply the fact his cousin was killed by a drink driver winds me right up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Brand_New

I believe the Garda has 6 months to apply to the district court to issue a summons.
    Yes there are very long delays right now due to COVID but it will still have to be issued within 6 months.

Out of interest how did he lose his job before being summoned to court? Even if found guilty a judge can delay the date the driving ban starts to allow someone to get their affairs in order.

Feck it let me add a bit more hope he gets 12 months minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭Eleven Benevolent Elephants

Just over a month to go.

If your friend is lucky the summons will reach the 6 month statute of limitations.

He's learnt his lesson (I hope).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Just over a month to go.

If your friend is lucky the summons will reach the 6 month statute of limitations.

Sorry what? Nah no way, no excuse for drink driving at all! He could have just stayed where he was and got up early to let his mate in! It’s all ok this time cos he didn’t mow someone down and some poor family have to lose a loved one, especially having lost a cousin in the same way!

The depression is the least deserved for taking a stupid chance with such serious consequences!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

Just over a month to go.

Agree. Surely 6 months won't be up until some time in November?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Trans Ann

Brand_New wrote: »
    I believe the Garda has 6 months to apply to the district court to issue a summons.
    Yes there are very long delays right now due to COVID but it will still have to be issued within 6 months.

Out of interest how did he lose his job before being summoned to court? Even if found guilty a judge can delay the date the driving ban starts to allow someone to get their affairs in order.

I think he admitted it to the manager and he was told because he will lose his licence he won't be able to work there, so I think it was more he walked and thought what's the point as oppose to being fired.

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Sorry what? Nah no way, no excuse for drink driving at all! He could have just stayed where he was and got up early to let his mate in! It’s all ok this time cos he didn’t mow someone down and some poor family have to lose a loved one, especially having lost a cousin in the same way!

The depression is the least deserved for taking a stupid chance with such serious consequences!

Fair enough but saying he deserves depression? Bit cold hearted.

• Advertisement

Agree. Surely 6 months won't be up until some time in November?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

So is drink driving.

Totally understand what you're saying I guess he thought he was fit enough to drive. Can't make proper judgements when you're drunk though. Thank god he didn't kill someone he's aware of all this. Just curious on the delay moving forward.

Drink driving is cold hearted, in fact it’s no hearted! The ramifications of doing it are serious and far reaching! Too many incidents happen everyday with sober people, purposely impairing your ability is a disgrace!

Sorry if anyone thinks my opinion is cold hearted but it boils my pee, and to then whinge it’s taking too long to get it over with...boo boo! It would take even longer for someone to get over their loss had he killed someone. Can’t do the time don’t do the crime, and that’s what he is.....a criminal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Speakerboxx

wush06 wrote: »
    Feck it let me add a bit more hope he gets 12 months minimum.

As much as i agree with you. Im sure everyone has made stupid mistakes in their life. He was irresponsible yes but he didn't kill anyone with his wreckless actions. Im not backing the fella out but he knows he fuuked up. Would you say the same to someone who was caught for speeding? Probably not.

Thanks.

Even then they only have to applied for it rather than actually served it. Best to speak to the GP sooner rather than later re the depression.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    do the gardai purposely hold up drink driving prosecutions in order to depress your close friend ?

no

there is a delay because of covid and access to courts

get a solicitor

I know its a weird thing to ask..but I don't know anything about this area so just thought I'd ask that. Yeah I told him was probably down to Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Lundstram

The Gardaí have 6 months to apply for the summons to the DPP not to issue it. There's not a hope of them waiting that long.

Also, this wasn't his first time drink driving. He's done it before. First time to be caught.

As much as i agree with you. Im sure everyone has made stupid mistakes in their life. He was irresponsible yes but he didn't kill anyone with his wreckless actions. Im not backing the fella out but he knows he fuuked up. Would you say the same to someone who was caught for speeding? Probably not.

Ye like truthfully he's usually a decent lad said he would even gladly do time for it, he's kicking himself. The wait is making it worse I think he just wants it to be all over. Feel awful for him even though I've no sympathy for who he was driving home that night. He family have disowned him.

Hopefully you get to serve the 12 months with him.

• Advertisement

Lundstram wrote: »
    The Gardaí have 6 months to apply for the summons to the DPP not to issue it. There's not a hope of them waiting that long.

Also, this wasn't his first time drink driving. He's done it before. First time to be caught.

Actually was his first time, that's what's fecked up about it I know him pretty well ..he drinks about once every two months his wife usually drives him around if he goes out as she doesn't drink. He's been a front line worker throughout the Covid ...just a stupid stupid mistake. He's a straight up guy usually. Just goes to show no ones perfect.

Ye like truthfully he's usually a decent lad said he would even gladly do time for it, he's kicking himself. The wait is making it worse I think he just wants it to be all over. Feel awful for him even though I've no sympathy for who he was driving home that night. He family have disowned him.

He's not going to do time for it. It's a ban and he'll come out the other side.

He will just have to wait until November to see if he gets a summons.

He could try to contact the Garda involved but that's a bad idea as it might remind him to apply for a summons.
    Either way he only has to wait another 2 months to see what happens.

I wouldn't engage with other posters on the morality of all this, all you wanted is legal advice and have received it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭daveville30

**** happens everyone's done it even unintentionally next day.get a good solicitor on his case when the summons comes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Unstoppable20

Drink driving is cold hearted, in fact it’s no hearted! The ramifications of doing it are serious and far reaching! Too many incidents happen everyday with sober people, purposely impairing your ability is a disgrace!

Sorry if anyone thinks my opinion is cold hearted but it boils my pee, and to then whinge it’s taking too long to get it over with...boo boo! It would take even longer for someone to get over their loss had he killed someone. Can’t do the time don’t do the crime, and that’s what he is.....a criminal!

Let it all out pet!

Brand_New wrote: »
    He will just have to wait until November to see if he gets a summons.

He could try to contact the Garda involved but that's a bad idea as it might remind him to apply for a summons.
    Either way he only has to wait another 2 months to see what happens.

I wouldn't engage with other posters on the morality of all this, all you wanted is legal advice and have received it.

Cheers for the reply, at last someone who gets what I'm posting for!!

**** happens everyone's done it even unintentionally next day.get a good solicitor on his case when the summons comes

Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Nice try op.

Let it all out pet!

Well let’s hope ye never have to deal with losing a loved one because of some selfish ***** who couldn’t be arsed to get up a bit early the next day or, knowing he needs to drive back, goes without a drink for one ****int night! 🀦*♂️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

A bunch of people here on the High horse.

Nobody was hurt, the guy made a mistake and regrets it, sounds to me he has suffered terribly already for what was a victim less crime in this case.

With luck the 6 months time runs out and he can put this behind him.

I'd maybe suggest your friend to get proper legal advice to steer him in best course of action.

Pass on my best wishes to your friend op.

jcd5971 wrote: »
    A bunch of people here on the High horse.

Nobody was hurt, the guy made a mistake and regrets it, sounds to me he has suffered terribly already for what was a victim less crime in this case.

With luck the 6 months time runs out and he can put this behind him.

I'd maybe suggest your friend to get proper legal advice to steer him in best course of action.

Pass on my best wishes to your friend op.

Thanks.

Drive him to a solicitor while you're on the way to your urologist appointment.

Hopefully you get to serve the 12 months with him.

Grow up. What's with all this bitterness? You need to chill kiddo.

This is exactly what’s wrong with certain drivers mentality. Some seem to think that it’s their god given right to drive, so something criminal like drink driving is fine as long as nobody gets hurt.

Driving is not a right; it’s a privilege you have to earn by proving you’re a safe and acceptable driver. Drink driving proves you’re not. Licences should be removed and never returned for such serious motoring crimes.

Some, like myself, may be on their ‘high horses’ about it, maybe there’s a reason so telling people to grow up is a **** comment. Growing up should be what the person in the OP should have done before getting behind over a ton of moving metal while not fully capable!

This is exactly what’s wrong with certain drivers mentality. Some seem to think that it’s their god given right to drive, so something criminal like drink driving is fine as long as nobody gets hurt.

Driving is not a right; it’s a privilege you have to earn by proving you’re a safe and acceptable driver. Drink driving proves you’re not. Licences should be removed and never returned for such serious motoring crimes.

Some, like myself, may be on their ‘high horses’ about it, maybe there’s a reason so telling people to grow up is a **** comment. Growing up should be what the person in the OP should have done before getting behind over a ton of moving metal while not fully capable!

He made a mistake. Its the same as someone driving fast in a speed zone and knocking someone down. Both are serious offences and unacceptable etc. We all know it. He will serve his time and accept the consequences of his actions.

The poster above said i should serve the same. I didn't sit behind a wheel and drive drunk. That's why I was telling the poster to grow up and its not a **** comment, thank you very much.

• Advertisement

Since we have now moved away from the legal aspect of this and many posters still seem interested in the topic, could someone start a thread in a more appropriate forum?

No problem will do, iv just finished my 8th can just tell me were you live and what time your kids or family member is going to cross the road I can then just mo them over then me and you can just chill.

No problem will do, iv just finished my 8th can just tell me were you live and what time your kids or family member is going to cross the road I can then just mo them over then me and you can just chill.

:rolleyes: i wouldn't lower myself to your level. You sound very mature.

:rolleyes: i wouldn't lower myself to your level. You sound very mature.

That’s you’re come back and you even mention mature in that, jog on tosser.

That’s you’re come back and you even mention mature in that, jog on tosser.

Just as well your on your 8th can you couldn't even handle a keyboard never mind a car. Goodnight kid.

• Advertisement

Have you stopped for even a second to ask yourself why some people are getting annoyed at flippant attitudes towards what is being talked about?

And for the record, speeding is just as bad! Speed signs are limits on a section of road! They’re not targets or challenges and going faster than them adds unnecessary risks that could end up causing suffering to innocent people.

It’s about time sentences were made harsher for motoring offences, a few points and a cheap fine doesn’t put anyone off what could potentially ruin others lives! All for what, to get somewhere a few seconds quicker, or to save 20 euro on a cab! Jaysus hardly putting yerself out now is it!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Cirrus Incus

This is an anonymous internet forum. Why are you pretending it's your friend OP? Presumably you're the one that was drink driving.

This is an anonymous internet forum. Why are you pretending it's your friend OP? Presumably you're the one that was drink driving.

No not me. But you're entitled to your opinion. Its a genuine question.

Know what you are saying.

I've called the Guards on someone that left a party at my house hammered and drove home so get it. Was thinking of the people the might meet on the road.

No problem with someone facing the full consequences for reckless and dangerous behaviour but wouldn't wish something like depression on anyone.

Know what you are saying.

I've called the Guards on someone that left a party at my house hammered and drove home so get it. Was thinking of the people the might meet on the road.

No problem with someone facing the full consequences for reckless and dangerous behaviour but wouldn't wish something like depression on anyone.

I appreciate your point, but to me it came across as as selfish and self serving as the drink driving. At no point has it been conveyed that this ‘depression’ is down to making a ‘mistake’ that could have potentially ended a life and ruined more, but just down to the build up of awaiting punishment and wanting to move on with their life.

Sorry but based on the possible consequences of something so easily avoidable, waiting for punishment making you feel like crap is fully justified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 348 ✭✭peter4918

Sorry but based on the possible consequences of something so easily avoidable, waiting for punishment making you feel like crap is fully justified.[/QUOTE]

Fully agree, He’s only depressed because he got caught and now poor me I’m the victim waiting for the summons to come. Would he be depressed now thinking about his actions if he had drove home that night and not got caught? No I don’t think so and sure OP it’s for a friend of yours :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

It's quite sickening in my opinion that some people here seem to be happy at the thought of someone becoming depressed for making a mistake, a mistake I may add that nobody was even injured slightly in.

If your own of those people you really need to take a long hard look at yourselves.

Or you could take a look at the other two posts by the OP today, wondering if his piss should be extracted or not.

But anyway, fire away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

That's what's wrong with this country, there is still a drink driving culture, how can any of you defend what the apparent ops friend did, he should be ashamed and **** the depression, comes with the territory and rightly so. As already stated if he got away with it he would not have this bad dose of depression

peter4918 wrote: »
    Sorry but based on the possible consequences of something so easily avoidable, waiting for punishment making you feel like crap is fully justified.

Fully agree, He’s only depressed because he got caught and now poor me I’m the victim waiting for the summons to come. Would he be depressed now thinking about his actions if he had drove home that night and not got caught? No I don’t think so and sure OP it’s for a friend of yours :rolleyes:[/quote]

Nothing to do with the fact his cousin died from to and he feels he let him down no? Maybe try to think outside the box.

• Advertisement
Advertisement