Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The South Westerlies [RTE1][**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

gammygils wrote: »
    Those hurleys the camogie club were playing with looked really clean.
    Like they were never used before

The writers are more used of hockey sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 38,455 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

god this is so cringy its intriguing

That GAA coach, fishermen and the hippy surfer guy characters are so stereotypical

The radio presenters ex tho jesus :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Rabbit Redux

Orla Brady must be wondering what she's doing in this heap of shyte. Can only hope she was well paid for it. Patrick Bergin looks and sounds like he's in an am-dram in a parish hall. Paddy Courtney's attempt at a Cork accent is embarrassing. Even Tara Flynn (who comes from Cork) was cringeworthy with her ridiculous accent and performance last week. Steve Wall is playing Steve Wall. Cardboard characters with a predictable plot and a complete dog's dinner of a production - typical of RTE dramas. You'd wonder how they got it so right with Love/Hate but even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

Orla Brady is 59

bloody hell she looks well for that age

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Orla Brady is 59

I was sure the date of birth listed on her IMDB profile was a mistake so I googled. I don't think I have ever been as shocked about a person's age before. Early forties was my guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Orla Brady is 59

Especially for a smoker. They usualy look like crap by 60.

I thought she looked too young to be playing yer mans mammy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Mav11

• Registered Users Posts: 11,009 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

You'd wonder how they got it so right with Love/Hate but even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

After the first couple of seasons which were very good, I think Love Hate got by with a huge amount of good will from its fans/viewers to see past the very average programme it became. (Still a million times better than this show though)

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Has anyone else noticed the running joke with the cafe husband and the cyclists?
    In ep 1 he was chatting up one lad, in ep 2 it was 2 lads.
    Now I have to tune in next week to see if it's 3.
    I'm guessing at the end of the series he will come out of the closet and run off with a MAMIL leaving the wife behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I'm not defending RTÉ's wasting of public money for one second but it is co production with Norway's TV2 (out of curiosity I looked at their website last night, their news section makes The Sun or Star look like high literature). I'm just wondering if the whole thing is dumbed down for a foreign audience. It's billed as a "comedy drama", yet there is nothing that would illicit the slightest giggle, maybe if it was meant to be a serious drama it might work better.

I've pointed this out already but Patrick Bergin is beyond appalling, how did the man ever make a name for himself as an actor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Has anyone else noticed the running joke with the cafe husband and the cyclists?
    In ep 1 he was chatting up one lad, in ep 2 it was 2 lads.
    Now I have to tune in next week to see if it's 3.
    I'm guessing at the end of the series he will come out of the closet and run off with a MAMIL leaving the wife behind.

Shades of that woeful Easterenders Irish offshoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Seamai wrote: »
    I'm not defending RTÉ's wasting of public money for one second but it is co production with Norway's TV2 (out of curiosity I looked at their website last night, their news section makes The Sun or Star look like high literature). I'm just wondering if the whole thing is dumbed down for a foreign audience. It's billed as a "comedy drama", yet there is nothing that would illicit the slightest giggle, maybe if it was meant to be a serious drama it might work better.

I've pointed this out already but Patrick Bergin is beyond appalling, how did the man ever make a name for himself as an actor?

I think 'comedy drama' is a code for a show that isnt funny enough to be a comedy but lacking the punch to be a drama. Usualy I have seen it used to describe Hubermans efforts, just covering their bases.

A show like 'Fresh Meat' could be a comedy drama or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,648 ✭✭✭Glebee

Its harmless viewing perfect for a Sunday night TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought about tuning in last night, but couldn't quite bring myself to change the channel - and reading the comments here, I don't think I'll be bothering to catch up.

Keep coming with the plot synopses though - I still want to know what happens! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

Man Attracted to Men In Lycra? That's just a guess now.

Just Googled it. Middle-aged man in Lycra.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cardboard characters with a predictable plot and a complete dog's dinner of a production - typical of RTE dramas. You'd wonder how they got it so right with Love/Hate but even a blind pig finds an acorn every once in a while.

RTE outsource all this stuff which is why you can see vast differences in production quality. Love/Hate was done by Octogan Films who have also made The Tudors and Vikings, both of which were very slick and professional productions so Octogan Films have definitely got good pedigree.

The South Westerlies is made by Dead Pan Pictures who dont seem to even have a working website (for me anyway) http://deadpanpictures.ie/ Their previous credits for RTE include Cant' Cope, Won't Cope which also wasnt that well received.

The writer of the South Westerlies is Catherine Maher. Strangely her last writing credit was in 2001 for Bull Island, not sure what she was doing for the last 19 years but going by IMDB this is the first time she has written anything in almost two decades. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2003553/ Found that a bit strange as writing screenplays is a skill you hone over many years and wouldnt have thought you could give it up for almost 20 years and then just stroll back into it with a Sunday prime time show but there you go.
    JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What was the song played at the end tonight?

Saw the same question on Twitter and someone answered that it is by Tiz McNamara - Slippery Slope. The South Westerlies hasnt been well received over there either, lots of people having a laugh at the Wicklow location, the bad Cork accents and just general cheesy factor of it all.

Orlas character sees the error of her ways and moves over to the protesters side.

Is yer man still imprisoned in his office?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Orlas character sees the error of her ways and moves over to the protesters side.

Is yer man still imprisoned in his office?
    If they do that they have more or less ripped off the Matto Damon movie Promised Land 2012 which probably ripped off another movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Can't see the point of the Town Hall meeting- the Norwegian company already have planning. It doesn't matter what was voted for at the meeting- anyone who lodged an objection to Cork Co council can now appeal to Bord Pleanala - which the DJ + Councillor's son mentioned.

Or if they think there's a giant flaw in how Cork Co Council operated the whole planning process, they can take their life savings and head off to the lawyers.

Baz and the cafe owner have way more chemistry than him and Kate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭robwen

My Sky Q box refuses to series link this I should of took the hint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

robwen wrote: »
    My Sky Q box refuses to series link this I should of took the hint

RTE 1 was bad showing listings up on Sky last night, all was showing up was This is RTE ONE

khalessi wrote: »
    If they do that they have more or less ripped off the Matto Damon movie Promised Land 2012 which probably ripped off another movie
    It's a bit like Local Hero as well isn't it?

Muahahaha wrote: »

The writer of the South Westerlies is Catherine Maher. Strangely her last writing credit was in 2001 for Bull Island, not sure what she was doing for the last 19 years but going by IMDB this is the first time she has written anything in almost two decades
    . https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2003553/ Found that a bit strange as writing screenplays is a skill you hone over many years and wouldnt have thought you could give it up for almost 20 years and then just stroll back into it with a Sunday prime time show but there you go.
    That explains a lot, there is a quite dated feel to the show alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

That explains a lot, there is a quite dated feel to the show alright.

It looks like she has written a lot of radio dramas.

So not as inexperienced as her IMDB profile suggests.

But I agree, it feels like a show that might of been a lot more successful 20 years ago. Riding on the coat tails of Ballykissangel and Waking Ned.

It's twee and inoffensive. Steve Wall looks completely out of place and his characters dialogue is atrocious.

That's a real problem RTE has. They seem very afraid of offending people. Everything is so inoffensive. If the swearing was taken out of The Young Offenders it could be a kids show put on during the day.

Do they actually sit down and watch this back after they record it ??

Its hammy as **** and is almost trying too hard

Its so bad ill end up watching it just for that reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Its hammy as **** and is almost trying too hard

Its so bad ill end up watching it just for that reason

TBH I think that was what they were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

I hope they just give Steve Wall a guitar and let him at it for an hour next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Was wondering the exact same myself. Imagine seeing the first full episode in the editing room, surely alarm bells would be going off?! Theres probably a few of them in post production sitting around all thinking 'oh bollox' but they have to pretend to each other they like it because all the filming is done and its too late to do anything at that stage anyway. I'd say it is an awkward situation, everyone pretending to like it but knowing full well the room is putting a brave face on it.

I find it funny looking at the odd comment on Twitter saying it is great, you click into their profile and more often then not they are a creative type and likely in the industry or else friends of those who worked on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I liked it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It was slated on Gogglebox Ireland

Advertisement