Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The South Westerlies [RTE1][**SPOILERS**]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ah it's ok. It would be a lot more suitable for a Neighbours time slot though.
    I can't believe she's 59!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Muahahaha wrote: »
    RTE outsource all this stuff which is why you can see vast differences in production quality. Love/Hate was done by Octogan Films who have also made The Tudors and Vikings, both of which were very slick and professional productions so Octogan Films have definitely got good pedigree.

The South Westerlies is made by Dead Pan Pictures who dont seem to even have a working website (for me anyway) http://deadpanpictures.ie/ Their previous credits for RTE include Cant' Cope, Won't Cope which also wasnt that well received.

The writer of the South Westerlies is Catherine Maher. Strangely her last writing credit was in 2001 for Bull Island, not sure what she was doing for the last 19 years but going by IMDB this is the first time she has written anything in almost two decades. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2003553/ Found that a bit strange as writing screenplays is a skill you hone over many years and wouldnt have thought you could give it up for almost 20 years and then just stroll back into it with a Sunday prime time show but there you go.

Saw the same question on Twitter and someone answered that it is by Tiz McNamara - Slippery Slope. The South Westerlies hasnt been well received over there either, lots of people having a laugh at the Wicklow location, the bad Cork accents and just general cheesy factor of it all.
    Other writing credit is this thing from 2001 called Get Flirting which seems to have been a game show. Dont remember it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I think 'comedy drama' is a code for a show that isnt funny enough to be a comedy but lacking the punch to be a drama. Usualy I have seen it used to describe Hubermans efforts, just covering their bases.

A show like 'Fresh Meat' could be a comedy drama or something?

Cobra Kai on Netflix comes to mind. It nails both the drama and the comedy extremely well.

I watched the first 20 mins of this show. I might watch more just to give it a fair go but so far it's pretty awful. The plot is silly and the acting atrocious. It's like a 90s romcom film where an American comes to an Ireland that looks more like its 1965 but falls in love with a handsome Irish rogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Cobra Kai on Netflix comes to mind. It nails both the drama and the comedy extremely well.

I watched the first 20 mins of this show. I might watch more just to give it a fair go but so far it's pretty awful. The plot is silly and the acting atrocious. It's like a 90s romcom film where an American comes to an Ireland that looks more like its 1965 but falls in love with a handsome Irish rogue.

I think you are thinking of 'The Matchmaker' starring Janeane Garofalo
    , a good movie by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is this on tonight or not? My EPG is showing RTE Investigates on at 9.35-10.30, perhaps it was pulled or they recorded over it or something? RTE website has it as being on.

• Advertisement

It's on. I was confused by that as well. They announced it before the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,135 ✭✭✭✭walshb

It is on...

RTE investigates on tomorrow night..

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Jeju

A very cunning plan by Noreg Oil to divert the attention away from the program so that the protesters will stay away. They finally might get some blinds installed in the office now so yer man can work away undisturbed. Blinds open....protesters...blinds closed...no protesters.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,713 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was it on tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Was it on tonight?

Yes.

They didn't preview what will happen next week at the end which was odd.

• Advertisement

Yes.

They didn't preview what will happen next week at the end which was odd.
    POSSIBLE SPOILER!!!!

They probably don't know how many to have at the funeral due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

'The ambulance is nearly here' - said nobody in rural Ireland ever....at least not after such a short time.

What' s the real name of the Hotel where Sigrid is staying? Is it the same hotel where the lawyers stayed when they had to go all the way to Wicklow for a case in Amy Huberman's classic TV 'Striking Out'?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Radio5 wrote: »
    'The ambulance is nearly here' - said nobody in rural Ireland ever....at least not after such a short time.

What' s the real name of the Hotel where Sigrid is staying? Is it the same hotel where the lawyers stayed when they had to go all the way to Wicklow for a case in Amy Huberman's classic TV 'Striking Out'?

I think the reception scene was shot in the Radission St Helens in Stillorgan. Not sure if the exterior and gym scenes were there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,662 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Had to laugh at that conclusion last night, it shows the son drowning in the waves but then when they are doing CPR on the beach the waves behind them in the scene are typically east coast and are barely a foot high , you wouldnt be able to drown in those tiny waves if you tried :pac:

Thats on top of Orla Brady telling Steve Wall he needs to up his CPR game because its his son. Its good she released that information because he wasnt even bothered with doing any chest compressions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

And Orla cannot act....her son.......even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

And Orla cannot act....her son.......even worse.

I'd be of the opinion that Orla Brady is the only one in the whole show that can act!

Did her son and the surfer girl turn out to be half siblings yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I'd be of the opinion that Orla Brady is the only one in the whole show that can act!

I thought the "Blonde" who came met Orla after meeting Bergin in the bar for 2 sentences of jibberish was Oscar material there. I mean the black leather dress and manicured look is worthy surely of a costume award.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I thought the "Blonde" who came met Orla after meeting Bergin in the bar for 2 sentences of jibberish was Oscar material there. I mean the black leather dress and manicured look is worthy surely of a costume award.

I'll have to confess to not watching any more after managing to just about get through the first episode!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

HeidiHeidi wrote: »

RTE were cock a hoop that famous Hollywood actor Patrick Bergin would be in this. He is rubbish as far as I can see.
    It's like watching someone playing a cliched watered-down Bull mcCabe type character in am dram.
    Was he ever any good? The only thing i remember him in is that film where he was abusing Julia Roberts and that was just so-so.

RTE were cock a hoop that famous Hollywood actor Patrick Bergin would be in this. He is rubbish as far as I can see.
    It's like watching someone playing a cliched watered-down Bull mcCabe type character in am dram.
    Was he ever any good? The only thing i remember him in is that film where he was abusing Julia Roberts and that was just so-so.

Bull McCabe was overacted in the film. Peter O'Toole went a bit too far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

saabsaab wrote: »
    Bull McCabe was overacted in the film. Peter O'Toole went a bit too far..

Richard Harris?

Mr E wrote: »
    Richard Harris?

Oops, Harris of course.

Tonight Kate's mother Goldie arrives and pushes her to tell Conor the truth about his father

Tonight Kate's mother Goldie arrives and pushes her to tell Conor the truth about his father

Conor comes back from drowning.

What accent has big Mike, I have heard worse on Murder She Wrote and Bergin is Irish

What accent has big Mike, I have heard worse on Murder She Wrote and Bergin is Irish

Sounds like a Tipperary accent.

Goldie seems a hoot, keep her around

• Registered Users Posts: 29,091 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As soon as you posted this, I thought 'betcha it's Sorcha Cusack'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Radio5

Morten will pull the plug on Kate's double life methinks. His career has gone south while she is dithering around the place. I don't know how she got to any level of responsibility in the business world. from what they've shown us, she'd barely make the cut in a Tidy Towns Committee.

Can sad cafe lady & Bazz not just get together, seeing as they are the only 2 people in the village who get on with each other?

Goldie was great alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

What did the cafe ladys husband say to her before he started crying. I couldn't make it out.

Was it something to do with him sleeping rough? The whole sound mix for that scene was awful. I could barely make anything out.

Advertisement