Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pendant Light for Downstairs Toilet

Options
  • 06-09-2020 7:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

My wife has bought this pendant light for our downstairs toilet. https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ranarp-pendant-lamp-black-90396389/

I went to swap over what we had (a standard circular bathroom light that’s flush with the ceiling, which is also in the upstairs bathroom) and found there is an earth wire but there is nowhere to put an earth wire in the IKEA light.

Is the IKEA light safe to put up in a toilet if I find a way to contain the earth wire?

Note: there is also an extractor fan that’s triggered when you turn on the light but sure if that matters.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

hoanymole wrote: »
    My wife has bought this pendant light for our downstairs toilet. https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/p/ranarp-pendant-lamp-black-90396389/

I went to swap over what we had (a standard circular bathroom light that’s flush with the ceiling, which is also in the upstairs bathroom) and found there is an earth wire but there is nowhere to put an earth wire in the IKEA light.

Is the IKEA light safe to put up in a toilet if I find a way to contain the earth wire?

Note: there is also an extractor fan that’s triggered when you turn on the light but sure if that matters.

Thanks

I'm not sure if this light is even allowed to be put in a downstairs toilet. It definitely wouldn't be allowed in a bathroom as the bulb is not fully enclosed. Someone else can probably offer more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,691 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Doesn't look like it would be resistant to moisture at all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

If there is no bath or shower I don’t see why with type of light couldn’t be used once installed properly.

2011 wrote: »
    If there is no bath or shower I don’t see why with type of light couldn’t be used once installed properly.

That's the part I wasn't sure about. I didn't know if the same rules for zones in wet areas applied to downstairs toilets.

In regards to the original question about earthing, is an earth required in this situation if they is no earth terminal even though the light is metal?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

aido79 wrote: »
    That's the part I wasn't sure about. I didn't know if the same rules for zones in wet areas applied to downstairs toilets.

WRT to the light fitting, I would Treat it like a kitchen or utility room as both of these rooms have sinks.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    WRT to the light fitting, I would Treat it like a kitchen or utility room as both of these rooms have sinks.

That makes sense.

In regards to earthing I would think that unless there is an earth to the pendant itself rather than the base then it would be pointless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Just put it up it's probably all plastic and does not need earth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    Just put it up it's probably all plastic and does not need earth
    It won't be plastic - it will be metallic. However the manufacturer will be claiming that it is Class II. (CE marking involves self-certification.)

The claim may well be highly tenuous.

aido79 wrote: »
    That makes sense.

In regards to earthing I would think that unless there is an earth to the pendant itself rather than the base then it would be pointless.

Professional courtesy. Inevitably somewhere down the line someone will want to change a plastic fantastic fixture for a posh one and will appreciate an earth.

Professional courtesy. Inevitably somewhere down the line someone will want to change a plastic fantastic fixture for a posh one and will appreciate an earth.

That's not the OP's issue. They have an earth but nowhere to put it as there is no earth terminal at the light fitting.

• Advertisement

Terminal block/wago.

Sorry Aido, I was disagreeing with the statement that it was unnecessary/pointless.
    I am entirely willing to admit I'm too pedantic sometimes...oh look my coat...

Risteard81 wrote: »
    It won't be plastic - it will be metallic. However the manufacturer will be claiming that it is Class II. (CE marking involves self-certification.)

The claim may well be highly tenuous.

It says in the description it's powder coated steel so definitely metallic.

I agree with you. I would have my doubts about it being class II.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hoanymole

Thanks everyone for your help.

What's actually the hazard, if water/moister gets in the light, then what happens?

hoanymole wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for your help.

What's actually the hazard, if water/moister gets in the light, then what happens?

The biggest hazard is that the cable gets damaged, the pendant pendant becomes live because there is no earth and someone touches it with wet hands. There's only a very small chance of it happening though.

What height will the pendant be from the floor?

I was going to say it gets wet and eventually green.

Pendant light is up and looks good. Mrs happy.

Put the earth wire in a terminal block/connector .

Appreciate all the advice.

Quick one on this.. the extractor fan is now delayed coming on! Any reason for this related to swapping the light?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

There's usually a setting on the fan for delayed start, which stops it from running the full length if it's just a quick light on/off, the manual for the fan will show how it gets set (sometimes it's a physical dial).

astrofool wrote: »
    There's usually a setting on the fan for delayed start, which stops it from running the full length if it's just a quick light on/off, the manual for the fan will show how it gets set (sometimes it's a physical dial).

Thanks it’s just curious because it wasn’t delayed before I swapped the light. I can’t figure out how it’s related.

Advertisement