Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland football team and taxpayers money

Options
  • 06-09-2020 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

What is the point in the continued funding of our national football team with taxpayers money

We will never ever win anything . The national league is a joke

All our money should go into rugby

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

What is the point in the continued funding of our national football team with taxpayers money

With only 7/8 other countries playing rugby to a good standard we still cant get past a quarter final in the World Cup so we would get more value flushing the money down the toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Tatiana Little Stairway

you could say the same thing on RTE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭JasonStatham

Maybe should make it amateur. Like Iceland.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

What is the point in using taxpayers money to fund rugby. They can win things anyway.

We should be using the money to support soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,659 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I don't think sports are funded to win things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

It's the taking part that counts.

OP you could always work out what % of the tax take you contribute

then work out what % of that amount goes on soccer

im sure someone here can organise a whipround to refund you the five cents or whatever

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

We need to sell Irish football better and stop making it as cool as a 1980s shiney tracksuit.

We need teams to play ball instead of kicking each other and lamping the ball towards the corner flags.

We need family friendly atmospheres and not a load of scrotes in tracksuits threatening each other.

We need to see the teams out in the community doing work for the community and gaining the respect of the community. I have shelbourne up one end of my area and fingal up the other end and if they are doing any good for anyone nobody is telling me. The English clubs are ending child poverty and visiting kids with all sorts of diseases and I dont see the Irish clubs anywhere.

They cant just sit back and cry that all the talent goes to England. If your marketing man walks around in a club tracksuit with a smoke hanging out of his mouth and a few raffle tickets to sell you need to up your game.

They need to build their teams around players with the x factor and make stars of them. Stars put bums on seats not tough tackling and red cards.

A decent coffee in the stadium and maybe some nice food wouldnt go a miss either. The days of curry chips and an aul wan putting instant coffee in a white styro cup for a euro are over.

It wont happen though, too many lads making a few quid for doing very little for years, put in roles they have no business doing because they sell their share of raffle tickets.

People still walking around looking like Charlie Burgess.

Utter boll0cks post. Firstly, Stephen Kenny has had two games in charge ffs.
    Secondly, investment in grassroots sport is extremely important to any population. if people only took up sports on the basis that we are only in it for trophies, then we may all place our arses on the couch now and give up. Sport is much more than winning. its nice to win, but its fantastic to participate. Surely the pandemic has thought us the importance of sport and we took it for granted up to now? The government investment in football is miniscule by comparison.

People die....Should we put anything into hospitals?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

They get about 2k each per game. (traditionally donated back to charity). Then there are team expenses, hotels, flights etc. The team pay for themselves via TV money and attendances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

They looked fairly amateur tonight, wha?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

The GAA get money thrown at it like confetti and the scots still regularly beat them at international rules hurling/shinty

What is needed is a united approach to state support for sport. No more building 4 or 5 half arsed facilities in town each for the exclusive use of one sport. Instead build one facility for all. No more stadiums or training pitches etc unless at least three sports are applying together and it's open to all sports to use the facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

We need to sell Irish football better and stop making it as cool as a 1980s shiney tracksuit.

We need teams to play ball instead of kicking each other and lamping the ball towards the corner flags.

We need family friendly atmospheres and not a load of scrotes in tracksuits threatening each other.

We need to see the teams out in the community doing work for the community and gaining the respect of the community. I have shelbourne up one end of my area and fingal up the other end and if they are doing any good for anyone nobody is telling me. The English clubs are ending child poverty and visiting kids with all sorts of diseases and I dont see the Irish clubs anywhere.

They cant just sit back and cry that all the talent goes to England. If your marketing man walks around in a club tracksuit with a smoke hanging out of his mouth and a few raffle tickets to sell you need to up your game.

They need to build their teams around players with the x factor and make stars of them. Stars put bums on seats not tough tackling and red cards.

A decent coffee in the stadium and maybe some nice food wouldnt go a miss either. The days of curry chips and an aul wan putting instant coffee in a white styro cup for a euro are over.

It wont happen though, too many lads making a few quid for doing very little for years, put in roles they have no business doing because they sell their share of raffle tickets.

Who the fcuk is Charlie Burgess ?

Does he have a better known brother Georgie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

So removing all money from the most popular sport in the country in terms of actual people playing it to a minority sport played in about 5 schools (where the national team that has completely underwhelmed on the world stage) is the answer?

Why not give the money to tiddlywinks instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Well done and a nice try but your on the wind up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

touts wrote: »
    The GAA get money thrown at it like confetti and the scots still regularly beat them at international rules hurling/shinty

What is needed is a united approach to state support for sport. No more building 4 or 5 half arsed facilities in town each for the exclusive use of one sport. Instead build one facility for all. No more stadiums or training pitches etc unless at least three sports are applying together and it's open to all sports to use the facilities.

Lol what even was that. GAA / shinty/hurling

GAA isn’t competed at international level unlike soccer and rugby. Can not compare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Rugby isnt a real sport, its like baseball. Also how **** are Ireland at it ffs. Played by a handful of nations and we still can't get to a World Cup final.

Now that's embarrassing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

I was completely in agreement until the last sentence, rugby is a joke sport played by steroid abusing goons, our national team has never passed the quarter finals, so on that basis rugby and soccer are equal, of course we should give taxpayers money to rugby teams, Sean O'Brien needs more drink, he hasn't pissed on anyone in a pub in ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Why does funding have to result in success at international stage.
    Edgware wrote: »
    With only 7/8 other countries playing rugby to a good standard we still cant get past a quarter final in the World Cup so we would get more value flushing the money down the toilet
    What are the 7/8 countries and what exactly is a good standard?

What money do these clubs have to spend on all these social issues?

the shinty team doesnt pick many if any players from liam mc carthy sides if they did theyd win easil.y
    there does need to be a united approach for facilities but how do you share usage when there is so many soccer, gaa clubs in areas?
    John Doe1 wrote: »
    So removing all money from the most popular sport in the country in terms of actual people playing it to a minority sport played in about 5 schools (where the national team that has completely underwhelmed on the world stage) is the answer?

All sports are minority compared to the biggest. Rugby is one of the biggest team sports and is being played in more and more schools year on year and club underage game is also expanding every year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

A huge reason the national team are so poor is that Delaney has pillaged a lot of resources over the years. Money that should have been set aside for development was siphoned off into insane wages and all the other shenanigans.

This is becoming very evident at the moment and we are going through a bleak period.

The GAA has been a better governed organisation and transparent about spending so any taxpayer funds are justified. Delaney and the FAI board threw a couple of crumbs to the Kerry Football league whilst pillaging multiple times more and you have the Healy Raes and the other local gob****e praising them.

The Delaney model, open a pitch here or there affiliated with a senior local rep and let them do his dirty work in the region.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

What utter ****e, the reason that the hurling team doesn't win every time they play Scotland is because the GAA don't pick their strongest 15, instead selecting lesser known players.

If the GAA chose an All-Star team to compete then Ireland would destroy the Scots every single time.

Back to the argument - there should be more money put into domestic soccer. We should have a league comparable to Belgium, Austria, Switzerland, Norway, and even Scotland. The FAI have neglected the LOI for decades, its disgraceful! For too long they expected England to develop our players and provide us with talent from long lost Grannies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

John Doe1 wrote: »

Soccer is becoming increasingly unpopular in ireland. Hard to keep it going with an awful national side and terrible national league

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Soccer is becoming increasingly unpopular in ireland. Hard to keep it going with an awful national side and terrible national league

Yet the participation at all levels in soccer is increasing every year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭fitzparker

Relax there Fintan, Sporting Fingal are finished 10 years and who is Charlie Burgess.

Seems like you just wrote this up as a rugby fan trying to be funny but it was dirt.

Unlucky

fitzparker wrote: »
    Relax there Fintan, Sporting Fingal are finished 10 years and who is Charlie Burgess.

Seems like you just wrote this up as a rugby fan trying to be funny but it was dirt.

Unlucky

Im an english football fan and make no apologies for it. I gave my time and money to shelbourne for a while and sitting there shivering one evening watching the ball being punted to the corner flag decided enough was enough. A few years later I tried to bring my son who was about 11 and he just wanted it to be over after ten minutes. He wanted to go home at half time when I asked him if he wanted chips. No stars, no skills no good food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

It's amateur in all but name so it'd be a good call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

[/b]
    Who the fcuk is Charlie Burgess ?

Does he have a better known brother Georgie ?

What has Cathal Brugha got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    It's the taking part that counts.

That's what we tell losers! Oh wait..........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Im an english football fan and make no apologies for it. I gave my time and money to shelbourne for a while and sitting there shivering one evening watching the ball being punted to the corner flag decided enough was enough. A few years later I tried to bring my son who was about 11 and he just wanted it to be over after ten minutes. He wanted to go home at half time when I asked him if he wanted chips. No stars, no skills no good food.

You prefer sitting at home watching teams play on tele in comfort than actually attending games.
    I've been to numerous grounds in England aswell as Ireland and you would freeze to death in half of them.

The difference between you and someone like me is I enjoy the atmosphere around a day at the football, you like your TV or Local Bar

P.S The food you get served at a football game in UK is terrible

• Advertisement

You prefer sitting at home watching teams play on tele in comfort.
    I've been to numerous grounds in England aswell as Ireland and you would freeze to death in half of them.

The difference between you and someone like me is I enjoy the atmosphere around a day at the football, you like your TV or Local Bar

You might think that but I wouldnt watch irish soccer on the telly either.

Advertisement