Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland football team and taxpayers money

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Sport is very important.

There is incredible prestige attached to being good at sports.

Brazil, which is a poor country, has a bit of esteem due to their sporting ability (soccer and MMA).

Tax payer money cannot just be used for roads, hospitals, etc. It needs to also go towards "soft" things like sport, culture, art, etc.

I agree with your general point that we will never win anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

A far cry from small kids in the park, jumpers for goalposts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

What is the point in the continued funding of our national football team with taxpayers money

We will never ever win anything . The national league is a joke

All our money should go into rugby

Most national teams will never win anything. If that’s the criterion for funding...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

You might think that but I wouldnt watch irish soccer on the telly either.

No you watch English football and maybe go over a few times a year with the thousands of others

Imagine that money was kept in Irish football,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,270 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No you watch English football and maybe go over a few times a year with the thousands of others

Imagine that money was kept in Irish football,

Probably squander it like they usually do
    And any goodwill that goes with it.

• Advertisement

[/b]
    Probably squander it like they usually do
    And any goodwill that goes with it.

They all waste money like GAA clubs crying poverty all round the country, selling lotto tickets, fundraisers saying they really need the cash while paying managers/trainers upto €100 cash in hand to take training session.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

They all waste money like GAA clubs crying poverty all round the country, selling lotto tickets, fundraisers saying they really need the cash while paying managers/trainers upto €100 cash in hand to take training session.

Whataboutery

Huge waste of money

Nobody has an interest in it . The national team rarely sell out the Aviva and the national league is Micky mouse who's fan hate everything and everyone . Thank god it will be non existent in a few years

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Whataboutery

Huge waste of money

Nobody has an interest in it .

Just on football in general; When the Irish National football team gets to a World Cup the country pretty much stops. The rugby team getting there is just a bandwagon where a minority care, the media luvvies hype it up and the rest pretend to care.

Whataboutery

Huge waste of money

Nobody has an interest in it . The national team rarely sell out the Aviva and the national league is Micky mouse who's fan hate everything and everyone . Thank god it will be non existent in a few years

Dont think a sport that more kids play than any other will be non existent in a few years

Have a day off man

Dont think a sport that more kids play than any other will be non existent in a few years

Have a day off man

Maybe 10 / 20 years ago

• Advertisement

Omackeral wrote: »
    Just on football in general; When the Irish National football team gets to a World Cup the country pretty much stops. The rugby team getting there is just a bandwagon where a minority care, the media luvvies hype it up and the rest pretend to care.

I agree on rugby . I disagree on football . Maybe in the 90s . The euros didn't really capture the imagination at all .

I agree on rugby . I disagree on football . Maybe in the 90s . The euros didn't really capture the imagination at all .

More people watched the Euros on TV in Ireland than the Rugby World Cup

If the Euros didn't capture the imagination it dosnt look well for Rugby as the World Cup had less viewers on Irish TV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

We need to sell Irish football better and stop making it as cool as a 1980s shiney tracksuit.

We need teams to play ball instead of kicking each other and lamping the ball towards the corner flags.

We need family friendly atmospheres and not a load of scrotes in tracksuits threatening each other.

We need to see the teams out in the community doing work for the community and gaining the respect of the community. I have shelbourne up one end of my area and fingal up the other end and if they are doing any good for anyone nobody is telling me. The English clubs are ending child poverty and visiting kids with all sorts of diseases and I dont see the Irish clubs anywhere.

They cant just sit back and cry that all the talent goes to England. If your marketing man walks around in a club tracksuit with a smoke hanging out of his mouth and a few raffle tickets to sell you need to up your game.

They need to build their teams around players with the x factor and make stars of them. Stars put bums on seats not tough tackling and red cards.

A decent coffee in the stadium and maybe some nice food wouldnt go a miss either. The days of curry chips and an aul wan putting instant coffee in a white styro cup for a euro are over.

It wont happen though, too many lads making a few quid for doing very little for years, put in roles they have no business doing because they sell their share of raffle tickets.

People still walking around looking like Charlie Burgess.

Sporting Fingal went bust about 20 years ago mate. I’d be worried if you were hearing about their players still hanging about doing good in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That's why I mentioned the World Cup specifically. It's night and day between Football World Cup and Rugby World Cup. If we qualify for the next one, you'll see it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If Irish football got the same annual funding of 16 million that the greyhound industry do then we'd be in a good place.

Look how tiny Iceland (population 300,000) have done in football in the last decade. They hired a few hundred UEFA B license coaches to teach kids how to play and now they're reaping the rewards. Most of their best players are playing in Europes top leagues and they are competitive internationally. They went from a world ranking of 139th in 2012 to 18th in 2018.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

If we decided in the 90 to dump rugby and just support soccer look what state we would be in now

All sports have up/downs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Muahahaha wrote: »
    If Irish football got the same annual funding of 16 million that the greyhound industry do then we'd be in a good place.

Look how tiny Iceland (population 300,000) have done in football in the last decade. They hired a few hundred UEFA B license coaches to teach kids how to play and now they're reaping the rewards. Most of their best players are playing in Europes top leagues and they are competitive internationally. They went from a world ranking of 139th in 2012 to 18th in 2018.

And opened a chain of shops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Superfoods

Muahahaha wrote: »

You had more money to FAI and it wouldn’t be spent on players/coach’s. They are corrupt as hell and it would be given to pay a load of useless wan***s on the board

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Meathman12

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    Brazil, which is a poor country, has a bit of esteem due to their sporting ability (soccer and MMA).

Tax payer money cannot just be used for roads, hospitals, etc. It needs to also go towards "soft" things like sport, culture, art, etc.
    I'd love to see the return on investment for sports.
    Well funded sports sector might
    Improve general and mental health health thus reducing impact on health services.
    Improve crime rates ( youth with more focus, more facilities and less idle time).

Maybe I'm wrong.

Advertisement