Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

card security scam site

Options
  • 06-09-2020 10:29pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just a heads up to warn you and other BOI users, there is a scam site being posted in text messaging today, the text message says "Your BOI Visa card has been used for a online purchase at 17:31.
    Not you? Go to 365onlinepurchase.com as soon as possible to review the transaction"

I did NOT do so, and on checking later this evening using my computer and the relevant security checks, it's a fraudulent site.

What's maybe just coincidence, or maybe it's not, I processed a retail transaction in Drogheda at a large multiple retail chain only a few minutes earlier, so I am hoping that this is just coincidence, and not a hacker who has managed to get access to the card processing stream of a major multiple retailer, and is then trying to get more information on the basis of a partial hack. 

I am happy that there are no suspicious transactions on my account at the moment, but concerned at the timing of this phishing text, given how soon it came after a valid transaction was processed.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Aisling

Just a heads up to warn you and other BOI users, there is a scam site being posted in text messaging today, the text message says "Your BOI Visa card has been used for a online purchase at 17:31.
    Not you? Go to 365onlinepurchase.com as soon as possible to review the transaction"

I did NOT do so, and on checking later this evening using my computer and the relevant security checks, it's a fraudulent site.

What's maybe just coincidence, or maybe it's not, I processed a retail transaction in Drogheda at a large multiple retail chain only a few minutes earlier, so I am hoping that this is just coincidence, and not a hacker who has managed to get access to the card processing stream of a major multiple retailer, and is then trying to get more information on the basis of a partial hack. 

I am happy that there are no suspicious transactions on my account at the moment, but concerned at the timing of this phishing text, given how soon it came after a valid transaction was processed.
    Hi There, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us here on Boards.ie.

It is very likely that the timing of this would have been a coincidence. 

We are aware of a fraudulent SMS that is circulating at the moment. If you could please delete the message and do not follow any links or reply. Bank of Ireland will never contact you asking for any of your account, or online banking information.

Thanks, Aisling

Advertisement