Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raised bed

Options
  • 06-09-2020 10:31pm

I was hoping to build a raised bed against one of the side walls of my garden. Not a proper permanent structure rooted in the ground, but just a few layers of brick with soil packed behind it. I'm hoping to do the garden up next year so it will likely be a temporary structure, but possibly not.

Problem is, the wall at this particular point in the garden is actually the wall of the neighbour's shed (concrete built). I know I shouldn't pack soil directly up against it, but I've been having trouble figuring out what I can use to damp-proof the back of the bed.

Surely this is doable? I can't find any specific info but I'm wondering if maybe I could dig down a foot or so and just line the back of the bed with damp-proof course (https://www.diy.com/departments/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-black-250-micron-damp-proof-membrane-l-3m-w-4m/5060405960984_BQ.prd) - or would moisture just collect between the DPC and the wall?

If anyone has anything similar, or knows how I can build the bed without harming the shed, please give me some advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

I was hoping to build a raised bed against one of the side walls of my garden. Not a proper permanent structure rooted in the ground, but just a few layers of brick with soil packed behind it. I'm hoping to do the garden up next year so it will likely be a temporary structure, but possibly not.

Problem is, the wall at this particular point in the garden is actually the wall of the neighbour's shed (concrete built). I know I shouldn't pack soil directly up against it, but I've been having trouble figuring out what I can use to damp-proof the back of the bed.

Surely this is doable? I can't find any specific info but I'm wondering if maybe I could dig down a foot or so and just line the back of the bed with damp-proof course (https://www.diy.com/departments/capital-valley-plastics-ltd-black-250-micron-damp-proof-membrane-l-3m-w-4m/5060405960984_BQ.prd) - or would moisture just collect between the DPC and the wall?

If anyone has anything similar, or knows how I can build the bed without harming the shed, please give me some advice!

Why cant you put soil against it?

Because I'd be actively helping damp seep into my neighbour's shed. I can actually see a layer of damp proofing sticking out of the shed near ground level. If I pack soil against that (especially since I'd be actively watering the bed too), I'll be feeding water into the concrete above their damp proof layer.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

Because I'd be actively helping damp seep into my neighbour's shed. I can actually see a layer of damp proofing sticking out of the shed near ground level. If I pack soil against that (especially since I'd be actively watering the bed too), I'll be feeding water into the concrete above their damp proof layer.

Would you not just build it up the same on the the four sides, with the blocks next to the shed wall? Any sort of a gap between it and the wall would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Be best not to built up to shed, four raised sides allows for access, air circulation, bed to warm in spring etc also too near that wall will keep rain off bed. Another use for that wall would be to make it part of a cold frame with sloping glass roof.

Advertisement