Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage re-adjustment

• 06-09-2020 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently I think my mortgage repayment is too high. The interest is the lowest possible variable rate on the market. We are comfortably able to pay it at the moment but planning for these uncertain times.

Just wondering how it works if you want to extend the mortgage term in order to lower the monthly repayments? Is this allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You’d have to reapply for a new mortgage in order to do that.

Can you not reduce the monthly amount by fixing for a period?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭the-island-man

Thanks for your reply. I can reduce the repayments by about €100 by fixing it but I was hoping for a larger reduction.

When you say reapply for a new mortgage, would this be allowed during a "switcher" application?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Thanks for your reply. I can reduce the repayments by about €100 by fixing it but I was hoping for a larger reduction.

When you say reapply for a new mortgage, would this be allowed during a "switcher" application?

Yes, if you reapply to your existing or a new bank you’ll be able to select a new longer term which will reduce the payments.

Advertisement