Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gary linekar fish and chips

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

The Irish went around the world as illegals america australia etc
    https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/16/us/white-irish-undocumented-trnd/index.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Classic!

Hows that funny. Is it racist to be against illegality.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

kenmm wrote: »
    It's a bit of a cheesy advert, but something he believes in, It's his money, his choice. Kinda nice someone doing something they believe in, even if you don't share the same views. It's kinda honest for a change.

Is it his money? When he's the highest paid presenter on the BBC and this is a contentious issue in itself.

And all this at a time when the BBC are being chastised for forcing old age pensions to pay the license fee, when he's on 1.7 million per year for simply hosting football shows. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/01/licence-fee-payers-support-big-salaries-stars-like-gary-lineker/#:~:text=Lineker%20will%20head%20the%20list,Graham%20Norton%20or%20Zoe%20Ball.

If find his position in it entirety utterly gross. As I said before.

We could all take in a refugee if we were that filthy rich for doing eff all. Not to mention the BBC's constant virtue signalling with it's 'diversity' remit, which is
    a hot topic in the UK atm, which could end up with them being screwed if they don't change their ways.

To be fair, if Linekar wants to take in a refuge privately he is well within his rights to do so. But the fact is he's promoting himself for doing so when he could do it on the quiet.

But is seems to me he's doing it to set an example. In other words virtue signalling and preaching. Not a surprise from someone who works for the BBC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Yes but will five bags be enough...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,198 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

yoke wrote: »
    But that's asylum seekers. Surely the answer to that is to streamline the asylum system, rather than give out about genuine economic migrants, who help irelands (and the UKs) economy immensely?

Why debate these people? They're morons!

Any mention of the word "immiggants"' and they're salivating. Half their families are scrounging off the state but if someone with darker skin than them wants a better life, it's curtains.

This site is full of them these days!

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Irelevant and the US and Australian authorities are well within their rights to deport those Irish people back to here

GT89 wrote: »
    Hows that funny. Is it racist to be against illegality.

I didn't say it was funny, I said it was classic!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭yoke

They are benefitting themselves economically speaking by claiming benefits. All they have to do is say the magic word asylum and they are in no questions asked free accommodation, healthcare, education etc.

They are not from the EU either they are from Africa and the middle east.

So then you are agreeing with me that all that needs to be done there is to fix the asylum system?

So then you are agreeing with me that all that needs to be done there is to fix the asylum system?

Yes it needs to be changed. As soon as they are found to be bogus they should be deported no ifs no buts but they keep on appealing and remain.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I didn't say it was funny, I said it was classic!

What's wrong with what I said it's not one bit racist to be against illegal activity

• Advertisement

What's wrong with what I said it's not one bit racist to be against illegal activity

Sure thing pal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

AllForIt wrote: »
    Is it his money? When he's the highest paid presenter on the BBC and this is a contentious issue in itself.

And all this at a time when the BBC are being chastised for forcing old age pensions to pay the license fee, when he's on 1.7 million per year for simply hosting football shows. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/07/01/licence-fee-payers-support-big-salaries-stars-like-gary-lineker/#:~:text=Lineker%20will%20head%20the%20list,Graham%20Norton%20or%20Zoe%20Ball.

Of course it's his money. If you don't like the way market forces work that's fair enough. But I don't think you can pick and choose what industries you want to be subject to the free market and which aren't. Of course one could argue footballers are paid too much or media personalities get too much, but that's a different subject.

Secondly, why do you think pensioners are being forced to pay anything? A lot of the current pensioners aren't actually that poor, not as bad as the next generation to come. The poorest pensioners still won't pay. And that's before you begin to look into why that's even a topic in the media. Why do YOU think the topic of pensioners paying for the BBC is a hit topic. Have you any opinion on that, or are you happy to trot out the sane old tired arguments? Think about it for a second. Why would the people who want to abolish the BBC force the BBC to revert the decision to give a discount to the demographic that views the most?

Yes it needs to be changed. As soon as they are found to be bogus they should be deported no ifs no buts but they keep on appealing and remain.

The other option (which I'd be more in favour of) would be to see if we have any ****ty unfilled jobs for these young, able bodied people who are willing to cross the ocean to get here, and have them picking strawberries or something until they can pay for an education and join the bigger economy, all while contributing. Yes it'll be hard for them for a few years, but its better than paying for a deportation and turning away someone whose willing to cross the ocean to get into a ****ty job here, or paying for their food and board while we sit and think about their asylum application. Now obviously we'd still need a quick check to ensure we didn't find any obvious terrorist or extremist links for them, but I don't think the majority of the people you're complaining about (africans) are coming here as terrorists.

Of course, deport those who don't want to work or have extremist links.

I thought the British were historical colonists. I would have though they were well able to bring cuisine back to their own country rather than having it brought to them. What Lineker is saying is completely daft and he knows it.
    Just looking at that twitter clip he's quite clearly taking the P*ss.

The Irish equivalent of this is that mashed potatoes or 'spuds' were 'brought' here by foreigners. That could even be true but to suggest this is a reason for ever further multiculturalism, or to take in every person who is having a hard time in their own country, is beyond hysterically laughable.

I thought the British were historical colonists. I would have though they were well able to bring cuisine back to their own country rather than having it brought to them. What Lineker is saying is completely daft and he knows it.
    Just looking at that twitter clip he's quite clearly taking the P*ss.

The Irish equivalent of this is that mashed potatoes or 'spuds' were 'brought' here by foreigners. That could even be true but to suggest this is a reason for ever further multiculturalism is beyond hysterically laughable.

He's having a cheeky pop at British culture and how it's made from many nationalities while supporting something he believes in.

Hare it if you want, but fu(k it, his money. If it upsets you don't watch it, or move out of England.
    What's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

But that's asylum seekers. Surely the answer to that is to streamline the asylum system, rather than give out about genuine economic migrants, who help irelands (and the UKs) economy immensely?

If those "africans" you're referring to are jobless after coming to Ireland legally, how are they on a visa?

Or are they perhaps no longer Africans, but Irish citizens? In which case we have to ask ourselves, why are black Irish citizens less likely to have a job than "indigenous" irish, if that is really the case, and then formulate a government strategy to fix that - whatever that may be

Just don’t let anymore come in without valid work permits and job offers.

Problem solved. The majority of Africans here who do not work should not be given a cent in state aid. We need to get real when it comes to immigration. Not swallow bs about food and how we should throw open our borders to even more.

The other option (which I'd be more in favour of) would be to see if we have any ****ty unfilled jobs for these young, able bodied people who are willing to cross the ocean to get here, and have them picking strawberries or something until they can pay for an education and join the bigger economy, all while contributing. Yes it'll be hard for them for a few years, but its better than paying for a deportation and turning away someone whose willing to cross the ocean to get into a ****ty job here, or paying for their food and board while we sit and think about their asylum application. Now obviously we'd still need a quick check to ensure we didn't find any obvious terrorist or extremist links for them, but I don't think the majority of the people you're complaining about (africans) are coming here as terrorists.

It is not just terrorism (which is a very real threat) but they are often not culturally compatible to living and working in a Western country. Look at the African, Asian and Halal shops as an example most are filthy kips they have absolutely no respect for the upkeep of their business. Go through the FSAI closure orders on a monthly basis and 90% of the places closed for being filthy are takeaways and shops selling food typically associated with countries outside the EU.

Look at Parnell Street in Dublin for example full of sh1thole African and Asian owned shops with zero respect for hygiene, upkeep and basic food safety standards.

It is not just terrorism (which is a very real threat) but they are often not culturally compatible to living and working in a Western country. Look at the African, Asian and Halal shops as an example most are filthy kips they have absolutely no respect for the upkeep of their business. Go through the FSAI closure orders on a monthly basis and 90% of the places closed for being filthy are takeaways and shops selling food typically associated with countries outside the EU.

Look at Parnell Street in Dublin for example full of sh1thole African and Asian owned shops with zero respect for hygiene, upkeep and basic food safety standards.

Wow. Don't hold back. Keep going OP. You've yet to reach your peak.

Of course it's his money. If you don't like the way market forces work that's fair enough. But I don't think you can pick and choose what industries you want to be subject to the free market and which aren't. Of course one could argue footballers are paid too much or media personalities get too much, but that's a different subject.?

The BBC license fee has noting whatsoever to do with 'market forces'.
    It's a mandatory fee punishable by a prison sentence non paid, as it is here in Ireland.

My objection to Lineker on this issue is precisely because he's not working for an independent station like SKY.

So in other words, what's going on here is wrapped up in politics. I don't think it's right and proper for a state broadcaster or it's employee's to engage in this kind of backseat politics.

You may recall not too long ago, Emily Maitlis, Newsnight presenter, was roundly condemned for giving her 'opinion'. I don't really give a s*hyte what her opinion is, or Gary Lineker's opinion on the issue of refugees or anything. And I won't tolerate ppl who think they are 'big' preaching to me simply because they have a podium to do so which was given to them by the people they are preaching to.

Secondly, why do you think pensioners are being forced to pay anything? A lot of the current pensioners aren't actually that poor, not as bad as the next generation to come. The poorest pensioners still won't pay. And that's before you begin to look into why that's even a topic in the media. Why do YOU think the topic of pensioners paying for the BBC is a hit topic. Have you any opinion on that, or are you happy to trot out the sane old tired arguments? Think about it for a second. Why would the people who want to abolish the BBC force the BBC to revert the decision to give a discount to the demographic that views the most?

Well of course I have an opinion on it, if I didn't you would't be asking me about it.

What tired arguments? I don't recall discussing this issue with you before. Noone is taking about abolishing the BBC, just the way it is run.

I think you're not clued up on the BBC license fee issue in respect of pensioners or in general and I'm not going to go get bogged down in explaining it to you.

. Look at the African, Asian and Halal shops as an example most are filthy kips they have absolutely no respect for the upkeep of their business.

You ever shopped in one? Don't let your hysteria get in the way of facts now.

Usually family run, very clean (ones I'd shop at in Harold's cross at least).

• Advertisement

The BBC license fee has noting whatsoever to do with 'market forces'.
    It's a mandatory fee punishable by a prison sentence non paid, as it is here in Ireland.

My objection to Lineker on this issue is precisely because he's not working for an independent station like SKY.

So in other words, what's going on here is wrapped up in politics. I don't think it's right and proper for a state broadcaster or it's employee's to engage in this kind of backseat politics.

You may recall not too long ago, Emily Maitlis, Newsnight presenter, was roundly condemned for giving her 'opinion'. I don't really give a s*hyte what her opinion is, or Gary Lineker's opinion on the issue of refugees or anything. And I won't tolerate ppl who think they are 'big' preaching to me simply because they have a podium to do so which was given to them by the people they are preaching too.

The BBC, Irrespective of how it's funded, has to compete for talent with the other media companies. Do you honestly need that pointed out?

State broadcaster had nothing to do with it (does it?). I don't know if you noticed, but Gary Lineker had a public profile before he was employed by the BBC. He also made some money there too. So what's the harm in him doing something he looked. It's only because you don't line the subject.

Who's preaching to you? You have the choice, don't follow him online, don't watch his videos.

Well of course I have an opinion on it, if I didn't you would't be asking me about it.

What tired arguments? I don't recall discussing this issue with you before. Noone is taking about abolishing the BBC, just the way it is run.

I think your not clued up on the BBC license fee issue in respect of pensioners or in general and I'm not going to go get bogged down in explaining it to you.

Don't try and attack me personally because I asked your opinion. It's pretty weak tbh. I don't need you to explain anything to me, thank for the offer tho, but it merely served as avoidance. And since the BBC was brought into this, it's hardly off topic.

I don't know why I am surprised tho. Asking questions around subjects like this is often met with avoidance.

No because I don't want to get food poisoning. One clean well run shop does not mean they are all like that. Look at Parnell Street the shopfronts are mostly unkempt and/or cheap and tacky looking.

Look at the closure orders from last February and it's nearly all ethnic establishments. It's the same story nearly every month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/closure-orders-fsai-food-5001468-Feb2020/

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    There are 54 African nations and 50 predominantly Muslim countries globally. Absolutely absurd for any to flee to these tiny islands and claim to be “fleeing for their life.”

All you need to quality to be a refugee these days to qualify is 'you want a better life'.

Don't we all.

No because I don't want to get food poisoning. One clean well run shop does not mean they are all like that. Look at Parnell Street the shopfronts are mostly unkempt and/or cheap and tacky looking.

Look at the closure orders from last February and it's nearly all ethnic establishments. It's the same story nearly every month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/closure-orders-fsai-food-5001468-Feb2020/

That article lists 5. A londis a Chinese, an African shop a pub and a kebab shop. Is that what you are getting upset about?

It's not because you don't want to get food poisoning. Just say the real reason, better to be honest.

Edit. Multiple shops in h cross, not one. Plus others in other parts of the city. Good food, good spices, friendly places really. But you'd never know that because you are scared of something, what could it be??

The BBC, Irrespective of how it's funded, has to compete for talent with the other media companies. Do you honestly need that pointed out?

But the BBC doesn't need viewership figures. It doesn't advertise. So no it does't have to 'compete for talent'. Besides, how talented to you have to be present a football match. Laughable.

Who's preaching to you? You have the choice, don't follow him online, don't watch his videos.

I keep hearing this silly argument more regularly on this board.

"What's it got to do with you - just ignore it"

I doubt boards could exist at all if everyone took that position.

Don't try and attack me personally because I asked your opinion. It's pretty weak tbh. I don't need you to explain anything to me, thank for the offer tho, but it merely served as avoidance. And since the BBC was brought into this, it's hardly off topic.

I don't know why I am surprised tho. Asking questions around subjects like this is often met with avoidance.

I didn't attack 'you' personally. I take your point but the licence fee issue is an aside to this, and i'd be happy to discuss it elsewhere. It's a valid topic of discussion in itself, but I won't discuses it further here because it's distracts from the main issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

bobbyy gee wrote: »

And we worked damn hard when we got there,

And we worked damn hard when we got there,

Did we spread spuds around the world?

Thank the Irish for spuds.

Bake them, fry them, boil them. But never thought to cut them into rectangles and deep fry them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Gary Linkekar is a virtuous man who holds the correct opinions.

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    Just don’t let anymore come in without valid work permits and job offers.

Problem solved. The majority of Africans here who do not work should not be given a cent in state aid. We need to get real when it comes to immigration. Not swallow bs about food and how we should throw open our borders to even more.

So once again, your specific problem is with the asylum system, not with migrants in general.
    You have pointed out that the asylum system is often used by migrants to come here on false pretences.

Do you think ireland should completely stop taking refugees, even when it could become a mutually beneficial arrangement?

I've just outlined in my post above how it could be turned into a mutually beneficial arrangement, like America used to do with the "send us your poor.." slogan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Btw I am not one bit racist ....]

Really? Fair play mate that’s great to hear.

Advertisement