Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British to Renege of NI Protocol?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Prediction 1: The puppetmaster that is the somewhat sinister and untrustworthy looking little chap: Gubbins/Cunnings is likely behind this choice of a bargining stance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

DTB....

DONT
    TRUST THE
    BRITS

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Prediction 2: The uk is aiming longer term, for a 'canzuk', as a rebirth of a collapsed empire, and one outside of the EU.
    This would include the free movement of people and services (and lead to the demise of the pleasant land that is Australia/NZ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Cork_Guest

Tinytemper wrote: »
    :pac: I knew you wouldn't answer my very simple question. You've been outed! You're either unionist or a Brit.

Unmasked. :D

Wow! Are you a child? Does your Mam know you’re on the Internet? You wouldn’t answer my simple question and now you throw it at me! What a joker! Grow up you manchild, people like you drag the rest of us down!

And yes they did, and so did we, but you’re too one eyed to see that arent ye! Pathetic!!

We've been waiting for centuries for them to leave, the EU only had to put up with them for a few decades. :pac:

Ah I see, you’re just an uneducated Brit hater. Say no more, I’ll stop engaging with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Cork_Guest wrote: »
    Ah I see, you’re just an uneducated Brit hater. Say no more, I’ll stop engaging with you.

Generally, people that educate themselves with the facts of colonialism tend to be 'Brit haters'

525819.jpg

Odhinn wrote: »
    Generally, people that educate themselves with the facts of colonialism tend to be 'Brit haters'

525819.jpg

And ignore everything else. Hence one-eyed!!

RA murders of innocents
    Collusion with Nazis
    Someone mentioned the Brits ruining the lovey Australia earlier, yet what about all the Aboriginies we slaughtered?

All I’m saying is you can’t be giving out about one side while ignoring the others.

But clearly this thread is for one eyed’s only so I’ll leave.

I've been called many things on this site but a cyclops is a new one, fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tinytemper

Wow! Are you a child? Does your Mam know you’re on the Internet? You wouldn’t answer my simple question and now you throw it at me! What a joker! Grow up you manchild, people like you drag the rest of us down!

And yes they did, and so did we, but you’re too one eyed to see that arent ye! Pathetic!!

:pac: You haven't taken this well. It's only the internet, chilax, no one cares that you're a Brit or unionist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭StevenToast

And ignore everything else. Hence one-eyed!!

RA murders of innocents
    Collusion with Nazis
    Someone mentioned the Brits ruining the lovey Australia earlier, yet what about all the Aboriginies we slaughtered?

All I’m saying is you can’t be giving out about one side while ignoring the others.

'Brit haters'

Does that make you a 'brit lover'.....

Yes it does

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Nothing to worry about, just a few 'tweaks' to protect the UK's internal market ...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Nothing to worry about, just a few 'tweaks' to protect the UK's internal market ...

Britain has plenty to worry about now it has started 'tweaking' legally binding international agreements and deals, seeing as how it wants to get all these great trade deals done with.........nobody yet.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

'Brit haters'

Does that make you a 'brit lover'.....

Yes it does

Yawn......at least quote the right post if you’re gonna be boring!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

feargale wrote: »
    I saw a copy of the Irish Daily Mail today, giving some coverage to the Irish point of view. I would love to know what the UK edition is saying.

I need to wash my screen after opening this site

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8715889/STEPHEN-GLOVER-warned-Boris-trash-UKs-reputation-youll-destroy-too.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Could get interesting, according to Robert Peston (though probably not)
    A senior Tory tells me the lords will turn the Salisbury-Addison convention - which says upper house won't block legislation that stems from a government's election manifesto - on its head, when it comes to the two bills amending the Withdrawal Agreement.

He points out that the Tory manifesto describes Boris Johnson's renegotiated Withdrawal Agreement as "a great deal" and "signed sealed and delivered". There were no qualifications. So their lordships could rationally argue that by rejecting Johnson's attempt to modify the WA, through the internal market and finance bills, they would be compelling him to honour the promise he made to the electorate. Far from breaching Salisbury-Addison, they would be embracing its underlying logic.

There is going to be one almighty battle between the government and the lords, and who knows with what dramatic constitutional consequences

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1303767431492636675?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

How so? Biden hasn’t a clue, he’s only interested in having a running mate that called his a racist and a sexist so he can get the BLM votes. Do you really think he gives a damn about us!

I can't see congress passing a deal under these circumstances.
    So Boris won't get his precious trade deal with the US, unless he changes course - which he likely will, but then he'll deny it's a u- turn, just like the others his government have performed in the last few months.

I can't see congress passing a deal under these circumstances.
    So Boris won't get his precious trade deal with the US, unless he changes course - which he likely will, but then he'll deny it's a u- turn, just like the others his government have performed in the last few months.

I can’t see this getting through the House of Commons and if it does, the Lords will do all they can to delay it.

As for the US though, they will do what they always do. Whatever is right for them at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Aegir wrote: »
    I can’t see this getting through the House of Commons and if it does, the Lords will do all they can to delay it.
    It'll breeze through the Commons. Pretty much par of the course given its current composition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,696 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

The ERG were tabling amendments to the bill, saying it wasn't explicit enough in what it was saying... will they vote against it if the amendments don't pass?

drake70 wrote: »

..with holy water. Then you must cleanse yourself by going up and down Croagh Patrick in the bare spogs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

blanch152 wrote: »
    A pretty accurate description of the activities of the PIRA.

Both the IRA and the security forces actually. The description covers the activities of both.

Fortunately we had the Good Friday agreement which put an end to all of that.

Unfortunately we are next to a landmass who consists of people so ignorant that they're voting to leave the biggest single market in the world. In doing so they're admitting to breaking international law so they can throw Northern Ireland under the bus.

So all this talk about the IRA or whatever is meaningless now. They're history. It's not them putting peace in Ireland at risk, it's the British government.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Both the IRA and the security forces actually. The description covers the activities of both.

Fortunately we had the Good Friday agreement which put an end to all of that.

Unfortunately we are next to a landmass who consists of people so ignorant that they're voting to leave the biggest single market in the world. In doing so they're admitting to breaking international law so they can throw Northern Ireland under the bus.

So all this talk about the IRA or whatever is meaningless now. They're history. It's not them putting peace in Ireland at risk, it's the British government.

Why would peace in Ireland now be at risk because NI exporters to the rest of the UK now don't have to fill in as many forms for their exports? Or because NI businesses now may have different state aid rules applied to business in the EU Single Market?

Its only people who secretly like violence or have an all consuming hate for the British who could even imagine that such changes in trade arrangements should or could risk the return of violence.

Why would peace in Ireland now be at risk because NI exporters to the rest of the UK now don't have to fill in as many forms for their exports? Or because NI businesses now may have different state aid rules applied to business in the EU Single Market?

Its only people who secretly like violence or have an all consuming hate for the British who could even imagine that such changes in trade arrangements should or could risk the return of violence.

Are you opposed to Irish independence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Different trade regulations north and south dictate the need for a hard border. Contravening the circumstances that brought about a hard earned peace.

I didn't mention violence is a certainty. I said peace could be threatened. Anything that will change the status quo of the GFA is a bad thing.

People who are against the British government breaking international law and jeopardising peace in Ireland secretly hate the Brits? The current British government and their supporters have the biggest victim complex I have ever encountered. Maybe they should take responsibility for their actions. This latest action will of course will turn people against the British government but that's their problem.

Are you opposed to Irish independence?

Ireland (ROI) is independent insofar as a country that has pooled its sovereignty to some extent with the other nations in the EU can be regarded as fully independent. I would like to the keep the ROI's independence to this level as I would not like to see any further political integration of the EU to occur.

But I'm guessing that your question wasn't that sophisticated, it is probably coming from the simpleminded "Brits out" school of thought. And the funny thing is that the knuckedraggers of the PIRA/Sinn Fein and their supporters and the ultra Catholic state fanatics we had in power in this country or a long period of time since 1921, who typically wrapped themselves in the green flag of FF. are the very people who have done the most to stop any possibility of reunification between the Irish and the British people who live on this island.

But luckily now we have more liberal politics and a more progressive state and with that over time will come trust that eventually will lead to a reunification built around a proper sharing and respect for identities. We won't become independent of the "Brits", proper unification will mean that we create a state where 1 million British people who share the island won't feel like a beleaguered minority.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,826 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

And some Irish people have too long a memory. It’s time to move on and work towards a better tomorrow, not keep harping on about the Brits this and the Brits that as any reason to stoke up hate.
    We were no saints and while the Allies were off fighting a war we stayed ‘neutral’ in, we were in cahoots with the Nazis trying to get them in behind them in exchange for weapons.

Cork guest - Any links for your “in cahoots with the Nazis” rubbish???

Ireland (ROI) is independent insofar as a country that has pooled its sovereignty to some extent with the other nations in the EU can be regarded as fully independent. I would like to the keep the ROI's independence to this level as I would not like to see any further political integration of the EU to occur.

But I'm guessing that your question wasn't that sophisticated, it is probably coming from the simpleminded "Brits out" school of thought. And the funny thing is that the knuckedraggers of the PIRA/Sinn Fein and their supporters and the ultra Catholic state fanatics we had in power in this country or a long period of time since 1921, who typically wrapped themselves in the green flag of FF. are the very people who have done the most to stop any possibility of reunification between the Irish and the British people who live on this island.

But luckily now we have more liberal politics and a more progressive state and with that over time will come trust that eventually will lead to a reunification built around a proper sharing and respect for identities. We won't become independent of the "Brits", proper unification will mean that we create a state where 1 million British people who share the island won't feel like a beleaguered minority.

All you had to do was say yes. :pac: Ya shinner.

There's far fewer than 1 million British people living on this island by the way.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Different trade regulations north and south dictate the need for a hard border. Contravening the circumstances that brought about a hard earned peace.

I didn't mention violence is a certainty. I said peace could be threatened. Anything that will change the status quo of the GFA is a bad thing.

People who are against the British government breaking international law and jeopardising peace in Ireland secretly hate the Brits? The current British government and their supporters have the biggest victim complex I have ever encountered. Maybe they should take responsibility for their actions. This latest action will of course will turn people against the British government but that's their problem.

Please define this "hard border" you are so afraid of. Custom checks on goods in transit, perhaps electronically carried out at various designated points like they do on the Norway/Sweden border or Swiss/EU border? I haven't seen those countries threaten violence over customs borders or regulatory checks yet. And there is absolutely not one word in the GFA about infrastructure on the border. You should read it. The reality is that if the UK exits with a no deal then it will be the EU (Ireland) who will be imposing these custom checks on the border to protect the Single Market. It won't be the UK but people who don't read beyond trite slogans like "no hard border" don't seem to understand this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is all posturing. Feck them, they deserve to be pilloried. Exceptionalist idiots.

They want to be hated by EU AFAIS. Playing to their own gallery. Gammon style.

• Advertisement

There's far fewer than 1 million British people living on this island by the way.

Are you sure about that?

NI demographics from Wikipedia

So the last census there shows the following response on nationality. Over 900k state British of one description or another. 513k state Irish and interestingly 533k say Northern Irish. If there was a border poll how many of those 533k "Northern Irish" might decide that in fact they are more British than Irish? And thats without counting the good number of people in the ROI who would still regard themselves as British, 100 years after the creation of the Irish state.

National identity Respondents
    British 876,577
    Northern Irish 533,085
    Irish 513,390
    English, Scottish or Welsh 29,187
    Other 61,884

Advertisement