Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British to Renege of NI Protocol?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Tinytemper

Are you sure about that?

Yes, there are far fewer than a million.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭forgottenhills

Tinytemper wrote: »
    Yes, there are far fewer than a million.

Great argument, completely ignoring my link to the last census showing that there are 900k British and over 500k declaring as "Northern Irish" many of the latter who will also declare British as their preference over Irish for their family in any border poll that will be held anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

National identity Respondents
    British 876,577
    Northern Irish 533,085
    Irish 513,390
    English, Scottish or Welsh 29,187
    Other 61,884

If there was a border poll how many of those 533k "Northern Irish" might decide that in fact they are more British than Irish?

That is a good question, however the termonology 'N.Irish' is perhaps (i.e. much more likely than not) a type of specific Irishness (like a Corkonian or Galwegian), than anything to do with Britian (if the British option wasn't picked as default when available), indeed it displays a distancing and slight rejection, thereof.

Great argument, completely ignoring my link to the last census showing that there are 900k British and over 500k declaring as "Northern Irish" many of the latter who will also declare British as their preference over Irish for their family in any border poll that will be held anytime soon.

What argument? It's very simple, no links required. Great Britain is an island, people from there are British. Ireland is an island, people from there are Irish.

So, there are a number of British people who live in Ireland but nowhere near 1 million. :)

That is a good question, however the termonology 'N.Irish' is perhaps (i.e. much more likely than not) a type of specific Irishness (like a Corkonian or Galwegian), than anything to do with Britian (if the British option wasn't picked as default when available), indeed it displays a distancing and slight rejection, thereof.

Well all I think we can read into the preference for "Northern Irish" over "British" or "Irish" is a desire to avoid the dreary tribalism of both extremes. Perhaps the most that can be said would be that they are a type of "floating voter". But they will include Alliance voters and other moderates and indeed many Eastern European immigrants who don't really care abut the Irish question. It would take a great deal for these floating voters to give up the real or perceived benefits of the British state such as the NHS and employment in the NI state sector. I think we can safely state that most of this category will vote to stay with the UK unless things greatly disimprove for them.

• Advertisement

What argument? It's very simple, no links required. Great Britain is an island, people from there are British. Ireland is an island, people from there are Irish.

So, there are a number of British people who live in Ireland but nowhere near 1 million. :)

I bet that you wouldn't walk down the Shankill Road and spout that pedantry.

I bet that you wouldn't walk down the Shankill Road and spout that pedantry.

Pedantry? What are you talking about? People born in Britain are British, people born in Ireland are Irish, were you unaware of this? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,125 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

They the British have no honour. How dare they do this. They will pay for it in the long run with there reputation which will be destroyed and that will take a lot longer to recover from than any money can pay for.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Pedantry? What are you talking about? People born in Britain are British, people born in Ireland are Irish, were you unaware of this? :confused:

It must be time for your homework. Start with history. Or you're simply trolling, either way I am not engaging with this nonsense.

AMKC wrote: »
    They the British have no honour. How dare they do this. They will pay for it in the long run with there reputation which will be destroyed and that will take a lot longer to recover from than any money can pay for.

That's arguable. Will the reputation of the US be forever destroyed because of Trump's antics? I think not. Same with the UK. They are the 5th biggest economy in the world and people will have to do deals with them. All is fair in love, war and trade deals.

Interestingly there was a story in today's online Guardian (no friend of Johnson's government) that suggested that the EU have moved somewhat this week to backtrack a little on their demands over the UK's fish and over the sequencing of talks. So maybe the UK's shock tactics have actually worked a bit from their perspective. (By the way for the avoidance of any doubt I don't agree with their Trump-style negotiating antics).

• Advertisement

It must be time for your homework. Start with history. Or you're simply trolling, either way I am not engaging with this nonsense.

I just taught you something very basic, it's you that needs to do some homework. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭indioblack

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Both the IRA and the security forces actually. The description covers the activities of both.

Fortunately we had the Good Friday agreement which put an end to all of that.

Unfortunately we are next to a landmass who consists of people so ignorant that they're voting to leave the biggest single market in the world. In doing so they're admitting to breaking international law so they can throw Northern Ireland under the bus.

So all this talk about the IRA or whatever is meaningless now. They're history. It's not them putting peace in Ireland at risk, it's the British government.

That's the way. Insult an entire population.

indioblack wrote: »

I suppose it's preferable to wiping out an entire population?

Maybe - if I knew what you were talking about.

Maybe - if I knew what you were talking about.

Looks like you should be doing your homework as well. :pac:

Do some research on the Bengal genocide.

Looks like you should be doing your homework as well. :pac:

Do some research on the Bengal genocide.
    I know something of it. I still don't see the relevance of the poster's last remark.

I know something of it. I still don't see the relevance of the poster's last remark.

I was making comment on your remark. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The majority voted to jeopardise peace in Ireland based on ignorance, propoganda and exceptionalism. I could have said a lot worse.

I was making comment on your remark. :)
    I was responding to a post. Nothing I could see in it relevant to the poster's reply.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The majority voted to jeopardise peace in Ireland based on ignorance, propoganda and exceptionalism. I could have said a lot worse.
    "...a landmass who consists of people so ignorant..."
    The reason for my initial post.

• Advertisement

I was responding to a post. Nothing I could see in it relevant to the poster's reply.

Just pointing out some facts. No harm in you gaining some knowledge is there? :)

Just pointing out some facts. No harm in you gaining some knowledge is there? :)
    It would be beneficial to everyone. Except you've not pointed out any facts.

It would be beneficial to everyone. Except you've not pointed out any facts.

Hmmmmm you appear to be confused. Read again:

:)

Hmmmmm you appear to be confused. Read again:

:)
    That's always a possibility. But the sentence you quote does not contain a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,156 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The British have form for this kind of behaviour. Remains to be seen if their breaking of international law will work this time. Not looking good.

That's always a possibility. But the sentence you quote does not contain a fact.

It's all flying over your head. Maybe it's time you went to bed. :)

The bots have arrived. Time to leave them to their hate.

It's all flying over your head. Maybe it's time you went to bed. :)
    Hardly surprising with the vague, elliptical responses I've received. Follow the sequence of posts. No reference to the eradication of populations or famines in the sub continent by me. My initial post was a response to an accusation of ignorance of an entire population.

The bots have arrived. Time to leave them to their hate.

Oh the armchair republican is back. :pac:

• Advertisement

Hardly surprising with the vague, elliptical responses I've received. Follow the sequence of posts. No reference to the eradication of populations or famines in the sub continent by me. My initial post was a response to an accusation of ignorance of an entire population.

You're out of your depth, poor thing. :)

Advertisement