Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection during covid

Options
  • 07-09-2020 6:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

We received a letter from our letting agency to make the house we are renting available for inspection in the coming days.

Obviously in normal times I have absolutely no issue with this.

We are in the property a year now and it’s fair to expect an inspection. However, where we live(not Dublin) the Covid19 cases have increased significantly in the last week or two.

We have been very careful at all times during the pandemic with who we have in the house. We have two asthmatic kids and I’m almost 8 months pregnant.

I don’t feel comfortable with some random person going through every room in the house. Has anyone experience with house inspections during the pandemic? Any done virtually?

While I know we cannot lock ourselves away and I’m still working in my office while my husband works from home we want to limit people in the house as much as possible

We have just bought a house so will be giving the correct notice in due course and we have kept the place absolutely immaculate.

Has anyone put off an inspection for a few weeks to see if cases settle or arranged an inspection virtually?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Queenio

Can you just explain that to them? I wouldn't let any stranger in particularly given the fact you're so advanced in pregnancy. Offer to do a video call and walk through the house yourself. In my experience if house in good nick they just go do a quick walk through anyway and don't touch anything. But still. Offer a facetime with the agent and just say you're not comfortable with them coming in as you're all coccooning

• Registered Users Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

We were contacted about an inspection a few months ago. We have one every year and there's never been an issue. But this year we were obviously nervous about having a randomer in the apartment, so we asked if we could postpone for now and it wasn't an issue. Luckily they haven't been in touch since and we plan to move soon anyway.

I think your concerns are perfectly reasonable. I'd just explain the situation to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Queenio wrote: »
    Can you just explain that to them? I wouldn't let any stranger in particularly given the fact you're so advanced in pregnancy. Offer to do a video call and walk through the house yourself. In my experience if house in good nick they just go do a quick walk through anyway and don't touch anything. But still. Offer a facetime with the agent and just say you're not comfortable with them coming in as you're all coccooning

Thanks, yes I’ve emailed my concerns and suggested a few alternative solutions. I just did not want to seem uncooperative. I know what you mean about the quick walk through but the letter stated to make every room available so even a quick walk through would be long enough and there’s no way they wouldn’t touch.

Thanks for your suggestions hopefully there will be no issues. Will be giving out notice soon and just don’t want any problems prior to that.

Advertisement