Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macreddin golf club

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭Neewollah

Played in the Scratch cup here yesterday also. Course well and truly beat me up in the end!!

1 over par through 7 in tough conditions I was extremely happy. Lost my drive then on the par 5 8th and couldn't get the momentum back after that. Back 9 I found was far tougher. I was hanging onto a score coming onto the par 5 13th. Hit my best drive of the day to the lowest part of the fairway. Rescue in hand because I didn't want to go long.....Ball in the air looked like I was going to have a 10ft eagle putt...Straight over the back into the long stuff....lost ball and that was that. Played abysmal then to the finish.

Good balance of holes on the course. Tough long par 4's with 3 driveable par 4's also. 2 of the hardest par 5's you'll ever play in 2 and 15 but the other 2 pars 5's are reachable. Great par 3's I felt. I thought the index one is a bit of a stupid hole myself to be honest and lets the place down a bit. No benefit to taking the braver line off the tee.

Course was a little soft but I didn't find it too bad with placing on the fairway. Problem was if you were a little left or right the ball would't come back off hills like they would in normal conditions leaving awkward stances. I found the greens very nice. Lovely roll to them and nice to putt on. They are a little slower compared to most but you could be aggressive. I suspect they a left a little longer due to the high winds in some parts of the course.

I probably will go back again now that I know my way around it better. Great course to really test all aspects of your game especially the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

First time I played there I was blown away by how good it was. We had carts but they didn't have that rule about sticking to the path

Second time I was there it was brutally slow, we must have had a 40 min wait on that downhill par three. Really takes the fun out of it, if you have a bad shot you have so long to bloody think about it rather than forget it and hit you next shot. Carts rule was in play then so sure enough the reason behind delays was a few lads up ahead going back and forth. I just brought an arm full of clubs, huge pain in the hole

Third and last time I played it it was just a brutal day.
    I don't remember it as a course not to take the driver out on and I am a reasonably long hitter (270 average)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

You can certainly hit driver on most holes (bar par 3s obviously), but you tend to be getting nearer to less forgiving landing areas. And on top of that, there's only a couple of holes that you'll be left with more than a 7i for your second shot if you hit a 3w or sometimes even a 4i from the tee.

For me I'm far more accurate with my 3w and hit it about 210m, so it's plenty long for that course. If you're accurate with the driver than by all means hit it. If you need some leeway with it it's not a course for driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

blue note wrote: »
    So I'm not long home after teeing off at 11:50. Round took just over 5 hours! Then to compound it, there was some incident on the road on the way home. Not sure where, but it took me an hour and a half to get to the dundrum exit!

And my round did not go well either. Started okay, bogey on 1st, should probably have gotten up and down for par. 2nd hole I was perfect from the tee, so tried to lay up with a 5 iron. Pulled it left out of bounds. Drop 3, repeat 4, drop 5 decide to play an 8 I be safe and pulled it out of bounds left again. Then I decided I was gone from the comp so better pick up and not hold people up. Comp over for me on the second fairway!

So after that I probably didn't concentrate a whole lot, but hit some good shots until I got near the green generally. It's definitely not a course for the driver for me. 3w is much more accurate and you don't need the distance at all. Par 5s are u though to reach in two anyway, so there's a good argument to play an iron from the tee on these.

The 4th is a really odd hole. Impossible to club. There was a huge wind into us so I was trying to work out the how much to take off for that and add on for the elevation. So I hit a 6i. It carried the green, ob.

I think the 6th was the first hole I used my driver on. With the wind it's absolutely a driver hole, green very makeable and if your tendancy is to slice it right like me, you'll be in pines that aren't too dense. That said, I ended up blocked off, chipped out, then on, then two putts for a double.

The course is lovely, but condition could be a lot better. Tee boxes are in poor condition, whole course is very soft, greens soft and slow, fairways a bit sparse (they had placing). I carried the bag for the round and other than the walk between 9 and 10 the walking wasn't bad at all. The real downside to all the buggies is that they're anti social. Everyone kind of drives around on their own. Also, staying on paths and having to run across the fairway for each shot must be very frustrating.

There are some lovely holes on the course though. I think the index 1 is a real standout. The par 5s are very strong too. I don't think it's worth the journey for me to be honest though, I'll look for someplace closer next time.

What a random one, I was in the group behind! We shared a few tee boxes on the back 9 due to the hold up. Not sure it's anyones fault (besides the lad in front of you who did seem to be slow enough). We played with a member who said rounds generally take 5 hours due to size of course. I was in a buggy as the father wanted one, but would have preferred to walk it. Ended up walking a good bit with 5 clubs in my hand unless ball was close to the path.

I thought the course was really disappointing, didn't think it was in good shape at all. Fairways were sparse, teeboxes were rough. Greens were slow, bumpy and just generally in bad shape. Played it a few times now and that's the worst it has been. Lovely design, just badly maintained. Certainly would not be in a rush back, especially not with the trek out & back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

wardides wrote: »
    What a random one, I was in the group behind! We shared a few tee boxes on the back 9 due to the hold up. Not sure it's anyones fault (besides the lad in front of you who did seem to be slow enough). We played with a member who said rounds generally take 5 hours due to size of course. I was in a buggy as the father wanted one, but would have preferred to walk it. Ended up walking a good bit with 5 clubs in my hand unless ball was close to the path.

I thought the course was really disappointing, didn't think it was in good shape at all. Fairways were sparse, teeboxes were rough. Greens were slow, bumpy and just generally in bad shape. Played it a few times now and that's the worst it has been. Lovely design, just badly maintained. Certainly would not be in a rush back, especially not with the trek out & back as well.

It's such a small world! I stuck my name down on my own on the sheet and ended up playing with two guys who grew up with my brother in law.

I think the index 1 was his peak. Where he hit his drive I'm not sure I'd have bothered looking. And still he didn't play a provisional and had to come back. By the next tee box he had to wait to tee off again. I wonder if the course was moving faster would he have played faster too.

5 hours for a standard round is too much. I'm often a defender of people not rushing on a course. And I think people need to accept that rounds take longer than they did 20 years ago for a couple of reasons. But that being standard is ridiculous. They need to do something to tackle it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

blue note wrote: »
    It's such a small world! I stuck my name down on my own on the sheet and ended up playing with two guys who grew up with my brother in law.

I think the index 1 was his peak. Where he hit his drive I'm not sure I'd have bothered looking. And still he didn't play a provisional and had to come back. By the next tee box he had to wait to tee off again. I wonder if the course was moving faster would he have played faster too.

5 hours for a standard round is too much. I'm often a defender of people not rushing on a course. And I think people need to accept that rounds take longer than they did 20 years ago for a couple of reasons. But that being standard is ridiculous. They need to do something to tackle it.

Yeah it was the index 1 where we came down and he was hitting again with his playing partners waiting on the fairway. I cannot fathom why people do not hit a provisional even if you only think your original may be in 5% of trouble. It takes 30 seconds, and especially considering you can play up even if you just want to play safe or whatever.

5 hours is too much alright, but walking that track, in a 4 ball I can see it taking that. 1/2 minutes between some tee boxes.

Member I played with had good knowledge of the club anyway. Mentioned it was 30k to join at the start. Privately owned now and big focus is on society/green fee golf. Bought the course & land for 1.6m, including the houses (find that hard to believe however, just due to the land size). Assuming he bought the club & houses and land is leased maybe. Issue with the houses was they were originally owned by the hotel as lodges, and something happened with Wicklow council meaning they are registered as hotel/holiday homes, meaning they must be vacant a certain amount of time a year. Apparently the reason they cannot be sold. According to the member that was the story anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭n.d.os

What's the story with the abandoned houses on the course?

Advertisement