Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage on a house I own outright??

Options
  • 07-09-2020 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭

My current situation is that I have a house with a mortgage that is about €30k in equity. I am intending on buying an old house that is in need for renovation with cash savings & own it outright.

In the mean time, I'll put the house with the mortgage on the market and hopefully sell it. Can I then switch my mortgage to the new house to fund the renovation work? I am currently on a tracker mortgage with AIB. They do offer switcher for 1% over the current tracker rate. But would they do this on a property I own outright?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

As far as I know each mortgage is independent.

You'd have to pay off the mortgage on your existing property, and apply a new one assessed on the new house and your plans for it.

Switching is for moving a mortgage on the one property.

That's my understanding anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Check with whoever you have the current mortgage with but normally, you would have to pay off the existing & then take out a new mortgage. (No tracker)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

You can buy the house with cash, and then take out a mortgage against it to get the funds to renovate it. It’s a bit of a faff. It might be easier to take out a mortgage to buy the house and use your funds for the renovations!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

jlm29 wrote: »
    You can buy the house with cash, and then take out a mortgage against it to get the funds to renovate it. It’s a bit of a faff. It might be easier to take out a mortgage to buy the house and use your funds for the renovations!
    If the house is in a state, it may not currently have the value in it to raise a mortgage against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

jlm29 wrote: »

I dont think I'd get enough money from the bank to continue my own mortgage + one to cover the cost of the new one.

Its a 1940's bungalow & all though its been lived in until recently it does need to be fully renovated for modern living & our needs.

But as you say its a bit of faff. I'm considering a mortgage advisor to navigate this as I'd really like to hold on to the tracker I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Housebuying

Dow99 wrote: »
    I dont think I'd get enough money from the bank to continue my own mortgage + one to cover the cost of the new one.

Its a 1940's bungalow & all though its been lived in until recently it does need to be fully renovated for modern living & our needs.

But as you say its a bit of faff. I'm considering a mortgage advisor to navigate this as I'd really like to hold on to the tracker I have.

It's really a pain. You need to have an architect and funds are released in stages. You should at least try to purchase the cottage with a mortgage. If you say there isn't the value for a mortgage, then the same will apply for the renovations. You may be stuck with a house and no cash to renovation. They calculate the funds on what the house will be worth once the renovation is complete.

Advertisement