Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Copying Folders using Robocopy or Similar

Options
  • 07-09-2020 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am using Robocopy but I am open to using other software that will fit my needs.

I have a laptop running Win 10 with most of my documents, word files, .pdf files .jpg files and some excel and notepad files. I also have a USB key I take with me and work on my files on the USB key files while out and about. So the folder and files on the USB key contain the most up to date versions of my files. I do not always use the laptop to access the USB key. I have the same folder and files on both the USB key and Laptop with the USB typically having updated versions of the files. I want to copy the contents of the USB stick to the Laptop on a weekly/monthly basis but as the size of the folder is growing rapidly I only want to copy over modified files or files that have changed as all else will remain the same. So say I am copying the USB key in d drive from a folder on that drive named 123, I have "Robocopy D:\123 C:\Documents\123 /z /s /copyall" but this copied everything, what is the syntax I need to achieve this.

I only want to copy new files and files that have been modified plus subfolders with the same criteria. I have tried several options but none of what I have tried did what I want. As I have said I am open to using other software, preferably free to achieve this if robocopy will not suffice. I typically open an elevated command prompt and use this to do the copying. I know there is a GUI for Robocopy now but I still cannot achieve my requirements. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Try adding the /FFT option to your command. Robocopy works in incremental mode (changed files only) by default, but, depending on the file systems involved, small timing disrepancies can arise e.g. file on computer has a modified time of 16:00:00, file on USB has a modified time of 16:00:01 => Robocopy thinks the computer file is out of date. The /FFT option allows for a little bit more leeway when it comes to timestamps

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

I used synctoy for years for similar, there are other alternatives also. It's good for updating master to copy, only updating files that have changed (new, deleted, modified). I'm using something else at the moment, can't recall it's name but will post it later when I'm on the computer.

Advertisement