Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting wages paid in N26

• 07-09-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭

Have been with N26 since they started but only now want to use it as my main bank.

I have a form from work to fill in to get my wages paid into N26.

On it is.

Sort code
    Account no.
    IBAN
    Bic.

Can someone tell me what do I put in sort code?
    And is my account no. different to my IBAN?

Also, should there be no problems getting wages paid into N26?

Lastly,how's cashback at tills these days,good or bad?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

This is what you need for the account details: https://support.n26.com/en-eu/account-and-personal-details/personal-information-and-data/how-to-find-my-iban-or-account-number

Check with your employer that they will pay wages into a non-Irish account - they are supposed to, but some don't

More info on what IBANs are made up of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,435 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Spocker wrote: »
    This is what you need for the account details: https://support.n26.com/en-eu/account-and-personal-details/personal-information-and-data/how-to-find-my-iban-or-account-number

Check with your employer that they will pay wages into a non-Irish account - they are supposed to, but some don't

More info on what IBANs are made up of

Thanks for that.
    Rang up the pay department and they said it can't be done and that someone last week wanted to do it with revolut and they couldn't either.
    I told her it was illegal to refuse to do it and she said she'll get her boss to ring me tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,751 ✭✭✭✭28064212

blade1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Rang up the pay department and they said it can't be done and that someone last week wanted to do it with revolut and they couldn't either.
    I told her it was illegal to refuse to do it and she said she'll get her boss to ring me tomorrow.
    If you're going to claim it's illegal, you should be able to point to legislation saying that, or at the very least, secondary supporting references (e.g. citizen's information)

I don't see how it would be illegal. For example, it's not illegal (as far as I know) to only pay employees by cheque, and that would be way more inconvenient. There are regulations around collecting money, e.g. direct debit creditors must accept any SEPA-reachable account, but I'm not aware of any regarding out-going payments.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators Posts: 6,866 ✭✭✭Spocker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Article 9 of Regulation (EU) No 260/2012 is what you'd refer them to:
    1. A payer making a credit transfer to a payee holding a payment account located within the Union shall not specify the Member State in which that payment account is to be located, provided that the payment account is reachable in accordance with Article 3.

(Article 3 specifies that payment service provider accounts which accept credits or debits must be reachable for those credits or debits by payers and payees from any Member State, so that basically just means that if your account itself can't accept payments from an Irish employer, that's your bank's problem, but if it can and it's your employer who is unwilling or unable to send transfers to it, then it's your employer who is violating the regulations...)

That said, if your employer has some clunky old payroll system that only accepts Irish accounts (as many do), they're likely to weigh the consequences of non-compliance against the cost in time and money to upgrade their system, and the latter might win out in the end. Even if it doesn't, a payroll system upgrade could take ages, so you might end up having no choice but to open an Irish account in the meantime if you want to be paid (or accept paper cheques instead, but their payroll system might not have that capability either, or their process might not make it easy for them to cut a paper cheque, so even that might be an uphill battle...).

• Advertisement

dennyk wrote: »
    Article 9 of Regulation (EU) No 260/2012 is what you'd refer them to:

(Article 3 specifies that payment service provider accounts which accept credits or debits must be reachable for those credits or debits by payers and payees from any Member State, so that basically just means that if your account itself can't accept payments from an Irish employer, that's your bank's problem, but if it can and it's your employer who is unwilling or unable to send transfers to it, then it's your employer who is violating the regulations...)

That said, if your employer has some clunky old payroll system that only accepts Irish accounts (as many do), they're likely to weigh the consequences of non-compliance against the cost in time and money to upgrade their system, and the latter might win out in the end. Even if it doesn't, a payroll system upgrade could take ages, so you might end up having no choice but to open an Irish account in the meantime if you want to be paid (or accept paper cheques instead, but their payroll system might not have that capability either, or their process might not make it easy for them to cut a paper cheque, so even that might be an uphill battle...).

That's just it, I'm just off the phone there to the head of wages and has told me there is physically nothing they can do.

He said the payroll system is 20 years old and that they are tendering for an updated system but we're talking at least 18 months for it all going well.

So that's that I guess.

28064212 wrote: »
    If you're going to claim it's illegal, you should be able to point to legislation saying that

I did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

blade1 wrote: »
    That's just it, I'm just off the phone there to the head of wages and has told me there is physically nothing they can do.

He said the payroll system is 20 years old and that they are tendering for an updated system but we're talking at least 18 months for it all going well.

So that's that I guess.

I have the same issue. Opened an ebs account purely for wages. The day it drops in, it goes straight to n26.

kenmc wrote: »
    I have the same issue. Opened an ebs account purely for wages. The day it drops in, it goes straight to n26.

So am I right in saying the only 2 free bank accounts are ebs and kbc are the only two free accounts.
    O e is online and one is bricks & mortar yeah?
    Online one would do me but are there any any other reasons to pick one over the other?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

I get my wages into my N26. No issue.
    Your payroll department need to make sure the bank details screen has Germany as the bank address and not set as Ireland (default).

• Advertisement

Green Mile wrote: »
    I get my wages into my N26. No issue.
    Your payroll department need to make sure the bank details screen has Germany as the bank address and not set as Ireland (default).

Can't be done they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭icylava

HR confirms they support N26 and I'm thinking about using N26 as the primary account, too. Do you have any delays when you receive the salary payment?

Using Ulster Bank at the moment and salary payment is completed on the day of the paycheck day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭Green Mile

Wages normally go into an Irish bank account at 1 am but with N26, it’s 9am. I panicked the first time I used it as wages weren’t there on my way to work but alas, arrived at 9am when I got into work. It has always been 9am since.

I believe it’s the same for people suing Revolut but not sure on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

It is as simple as putting your country as "Lithuania" if with revolut and Germany for N26.

Countries have different lengths of ibans. Systems see the country entered and expect the specific number of digits

So your payroll need to change your country address to Lithuania or Germany and it will proceed

Advertisement