Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 10 Pro for New Build PC

Options
  • 07-09-2020 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Can anybody tell me the best way to get a legit Windows 10 Pro for a new build PC. Prices seem to vary wildly so I'm a little confused as the best way to go. Is it downloaded from the MS website after purchasing ? I also read of guys purchasing a licence on ebay etc. .. how does that work then ?
    Many thanks.
    H./

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Hansanter wrote: »
    Can anybody tell me the best way to get a legit Windows 10 Pro for a new build PC. Prices seem to vary wildly so I'm a little confused as the best way to go. Is it downloaded from the MS website after purchasing ? I also read of guys purchasing a licence on ebay etc. .. how does that work then ?
    Many thanks.
    H./

It's just a licence key in most cases, you download the installer from the Microsoft website, create an install drive using a USB key and boot from that. You then enter in the licence key when it prompts you to.

There's... Other ways of getting it 'cheaper' that are fairly well used these days, but if it's for business purposes I'd suggest just getting it from Microsoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭JoyPad

One main difference between the Microsoft license and the cheaper alternatives is that the official one is a floating license, which means it can be uninstalled from one machine and installed on a different machine. This also works if you're replacing motherboards, which Windows recognizes as a new computer.

The alternatives are usually OEM licenses, which can only be used on the machine where they are activated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You don't need to enter a licence key to install Windows 10 and not activating it does very little. I personally don't like the watermark so fire €5-10 at someone selling grey-market keys on Amazon or Adverts.

Only draw back is if you do a substantial upgrade like the motherboard you have to buy a new key.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hansanter

Very interesting guys, many thanks. It's actually for a new homebuilt PC, for my own private use that I plan on doing soon. I've been using Win7 Pro up to this which I really like and find very stable.
    H./

• Registered Users Posts: 4,113 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Hansanter wrote: »
    I've been using Win7 Pro up to this which I really like and find very stable.
    :D yeah.... it was Win 7 (ignore home/pro) that was stable
    Welcome to the world of 10....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭pah

I've bought microsoft windows and office keys from gamivo and kinguin no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

pah wrote: »

Usually get mine on eBay, have worked every time.

pah wrote: »

From where Pah ?

H./

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭pah

Thanks Pah, I thought gamivo and kinguin were names of private sellers... not websites :).

H./

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

type in Windows pro key in search
    if buying on eBay make sure seller has been on their for 10 years
    you download Windows.from Microsoft if you put in pro key it opens pro
    pro is not much different than windows home
    it's not much better
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Are-discount-Windows-10-licenses-legal-and-do-they-work.458765.0.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

bobbyy gee wrote: »
    type in Windows pro key in search
    if buying on eBay make sure seller has been on their for 10 years
    you download Windows.from Microsoft if you put in pro key it opens pro
    pro is not much different than windows home
    it's not much better
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Are-discount-Windows-10-licenses-legal-and-do-they-work.458765.0.html

Advertisement