Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberries

Options
  • 07-09-2020 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Hi

I got autumn fruiting raspberries in B&Q last year. 3 plants in small pots. They grew pretty well last summer but were still on the smallish size. No fruit. I cut them back in the winter.

This summer, they grew very big. I got one or two berries in July(?) but as of this morning there doesn't seem to be flowers or fruit.

Variety is Ottowa. I can't find any info about that variety on the google box.

Anyone got experience with is variety? I know we are just into autumn now but I would have thought they would have flowers or something at this stage.

Regards

Frogeye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Sounds like they may be actually summer-fruiting.
    I'd leave them, and see if this year's growth fruits next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Autumn ones grow on new growth so can be safely cut back over winter. They will be in flower July and this month plenty of fruit. The standard raspberries will fruit on stems grown the previous year and will be at their height of fruiting late June. Maybe see if you have the other type and get some autumn ones from a garden centre? I have both in the same patch of ground. I can tell the difference between them by one having a smooth stem and the other is bit prickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Supercell wrote: »

It Does! but the label on the plant says LAter fruiting Autumn!. I still have it in the shed. I'm confused now!

Frogeye

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Garlinge wrote: »
    Autumn ones grow on new growth so can be safely cut back over winter. They will be in flower July and this month plenty of fruit. The standard raspberries will fruit on stems grown the previous year and will be at their height of fruiting late June. Maybe see if you have the other type and get some autumn ones from a garden centre? I have both in the same patch of ground. I can tell the difference between them by one having a smooth stem and the other is bit prickly.

The ottowa I have are prickly. Does that suggest summer or autumn fruiting?

I have other varieties for summer fruiting gone in this year, Didn't add in any autumn fruiting becauseI though my ottowas had me covered!

Thanks

Frogeye

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Apologies for the thread drift, but according to what I was taught in school, we are now not "going into Autumn", but approaching the middle of it. Autumn starts on 1st August

• Registered Users Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭standardg60

Frogeye wrote: »
    It Does! but the label on the plant says LAter fruiting Autumn!. I still have it in the shed. I'm confused now!

Frogeye

They are clearly summer fruiting, don't mind the label, leave them as they are now and follow the summer fruiting pruning regime.

Advertisement