Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Chocolates, Sweets and Food

1686970717274»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,444 ✭✭✭✭DvB

They'll definitely have an 'offer' at some stage where they'll be no more than €5.

I agree its frustrating that they keep making them smaller, but it was flagged a few months back that the cost of chocolate was to increase due to crop issues so its not really a surprise they reduced the weight rather than keep them the same size & charge more. Price is the key thing I suspect. If they suddenly start charging €7 a tub and all their competitors are cheaper (& lighter) they'll probably lose market share & that to them probably isn't worth the risk. So all our tubs get smaller & smaller.

At this rate I suspect they'll start producing 2 different sized offerings before long. The c.500g tub and a larger 1kg tub or suchlike. Otherwise as you say they'll get so small to be practically useless.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,594 ✭✭✭caviardreams

if smaller containers / sizes means less plastic I am all for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I really dislike the amount of plastic being disposed of because of these tubs. Even if it's put in the recycling bin, it's still single use plastic. I know most of the wrappers are now recyclable, but surely they can come up with a cardboard type box, rather than plastic? I know some people reuse them, but I'm sure that's only a tiny fraction of what's produced each year. You can get cardboard boxes of jellies, toffees and Season's Greetings, etc. even quite a few of the biscuit 'tins' are now cardboard, so I don't understand why the tubs haven't been changed over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,938 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The tubs used to be cardboard boxes back in my day. 2.4kg some of them were as well. I always wondered why they didn’t keep the box. Must be to maximise space for storage and deliveries I reckon.

Can anyone remember when they changed over to plastic tubs?

I remember them being in metal tins (biscuits too) when I was younger but genuinely cant remember when they changed now.

Agree totally re: the use of single use plastics & recycling, you'd think there's be a more sustainable cost effective solution nowadays. Is the mass production of so much plastic really the cheapest option available?

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I remember the big tins of Roses and Quality Street, but I don't have any memory of Heroes and Celebrations in tins, although I'm sure they were.

I have a memory from the late 80s, I think, of a my parents getting a big cardboard box of sweets one year. I think it was Double Centres. They were all in a plastic bag inside the box. I've no idea how big it was, but as a child, I don't think I had ever seen so many sweets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Heros and Celebrations are much newer than Roses and Quality Street so they may never have been in a tin. We used to get the large tin of Roses and large tins of USA biscuits. Lemons sweets and Scot’s clan were always in boxes I think. It’s definitely time to revert to cardboard boxes.

Sometimes I feel very old when I’m reading this thread 😂.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,309 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

OMG USA biscuits or Afternoon Tea biscuits seemed to be the ones we always received as gifts in our house. We'd never buy them 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,885 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Yeah I think the tins had already been phased out when Heroes & celebrations came along, don't ever remember them being in anything other than tubs.

Showing my age here too, but I remember those boxes of double centres, my Mum loved them and would always get a box of them at christmas, they were fabulous sweets, would love to see them make a comeback.

100% remember the biscuits in tins though, sure I still use a tin that held old fashioned kimberley in the shed to this day to hold random screws, nails & similar bits that I dont want in my toolbox.

• Advertisement
Advertisement