Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Google Stadia Premiere Edition: Cloud (Stadia Controller + Chromecast Ultra) €88.52

• 07-09-2020 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

I don't know anything about this system, I saw this offer and thought it might be worth sharing.
    Some of the comments question if it is worth it or not. It is the lowest price ever to date @ €88.52

https://store.google.com/ie/product/stadia
    What does Stadia Pro offer?
    Stadia's premium subscription offers a maximum resolution of 4K at 60fps at best. The sound can be output as 5.1 stereo sound. Of course, that depends on what the game offers and how much bandwidth you can use. According to Google, the performance of the GPU should be significantly better than the competition from Microsoft and Sony. This is compared here .

Is my network enough for Stadia?
    A minimum bandwidth of 10Mbps is recommended for Stadia. At this speed, the games should run smoothly in 720P resolution at 60fps. From the double GPU, 1080p / 60fps with 5.1 sound is already possible. Ultimately, the maximum in 4K / 60fps can be achieved from a transfer speed of 35Mbps. You can find a graphic for this here.

Which games can I expect?
    In addition to the nine free games, almost 40 other paid games await you. A total of 120 games have been announced for this year. The full 4K / 60fps are unfortunately achieved in very few games and the prices also depend on the RRP. You can find the current range of games here .

The following games are already included:
    Destiny 2: The Collection, Grid, Gylt, SteamWorld Dig 2, SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech, Thumper, Serious Sam Collection, Spitlings, Stacks On Stacks (On Stacks) and many more ...

"The platform is solid, but an actual AAA game only comes out every few months. Otherwise just old stuff or smaller indies. There are no exclusive titles worth mentioning, not even in the announcements"

" If you're not really interested in multiplayer and don't need a new AAA game every month, Stadia can definitely be an alternative to the classic console. As far as convenience is concerned (no downloads, short loading times, diverse options for use on different devices / input methods), it is definitely more fun than the current generation of consoles."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Chromecast Ultra on its own is usually around €80 (down to €77.72 now I'm assuming with the VAT reduction)

Actually looking to buy one so tempted to try the Stadia for the novelty for the ~€8 or so more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I got a trial of Stadia during lockdown for 3 months.

Found it glitchy on 250mb Virgin Media broadband. Streaming games, I am sure are the future, but a massive pain in the hoop when the game starts doing this.

Happened quite frequently and when trial was over I didnt subscribe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Seems the suggestion is to ensure the power adapter for the Chromecast Ultra is on wired ethernet which seems to reduce most issues, I think its a direction by Google themselves during setup?
    I haven't really seen many issues tbh, in saying that I haven't played many games which the timing was massively critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

I got a trial of Stadia during lockdown for 3 months.

Found it glitchy on 250mb Virgin Media broadband. Streaming games, I am sure are the future, but a massive pain in the hoop when the game starts doing this.

Happened quite frequently and when trial was over I didnt subscribe.

Also tried it here. Was playing on my pc, wired into Ethernet with 500mb broadband. Resolution looked below 720p most of the time. No way I'd pay for the privilege. Online game streaming just isn't really there yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭fdevine

Got the Founders Edition for Christmas & haven't look at it since the three month trial expired

Might give it another go now that the free tier is available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭irishchris

Julez wrote: »
    Also tried it here. Was playing on my pc, wired into Ethernet with 500mb broadband. Resolution looked below 720p most of the time. No way I'd pay for the privilege. Online game streaming just isn't really there yet.

Pc now has settings which can bring your resolution up to 2k depending on connection speed. Pubg looks excellent playing in 2k. There is a stadia+ extension in Chrome to force through the resolution if you have issues but no real need since the update. Obviously 4k through Chromecast ultra but for pc 2k is mote than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Tried this as well during lockdown, have Virgin Media 250mb and thought the games streamed very well.

However, I got bored of the games on Stadia Pro very quickly and as for buying games through the platform, I prefer to own my games and not be locked into a platform where the games seemed more pricy. I do see the usefulness though, my rig wouldn't be able to handle Red Dead Redemtption without a expensive upgrade for example.

But for someone who was getting a chromecast ultra already, this seems like a no brainer. I only played this on my PC but I bought a Sony Android TV a few months ago so I don't see why it shouldn't be available on that app store shortly, no need to buy a Chromecast Ultra when my TV literally has it built in already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

I have geforce now on a Shield which i find great as it uses your existing games in Steam/uplay/epic stores, it doesn't make you buy them again. It runs very well on a 90/20 VDSL connection with the Shield on Ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I used Geforce Shield before, I like the idea of playing games you already run. However they've reduced their library of games recently, think Stadia got the licence for some of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya I used Geforce Shield before, I like the idea of playing games you already run. However they've reduced their library of games recently, think Stadia got the licence for ome of them.

Yeah that is true, some games were pulled from geforce now as they are Stadia exclusive. Other publishers got greedy and wanted you to buy games you already own a second time. But in the long term things look better for Nvidia geforce now than Stadia as Nvidia are partnered with Steam (and epic games and Unisoft are onboard also). Google don't have a great record of keeping things running for long so I'd be reluctant to invest in games from them on a platform they could just kill any day. Geforce now also has a free option if you're willing to queue.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/1/21350765/geforce-now-steam-nvidia-games

• Advertisement
Advertisement