Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Pension 101

• 07-09-2020 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

1. I have 3 private pensions all put together with Irish Life (2 inactive managed in funds provided by company, 1 active)

2. I am 35

3. There is a good chunk of money in there

4. Where can I get good reading material i.e. a "Pensions for Dummies" style guide on finding out:

A: What I can do now with moving my pension i.e. can I move them out of Irish Life to elsewhere

B: What my options will be upon retirement? i.e. how do I cash them out - how do I split out etc.

I find it very hard to get good concrete information on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Generally if you move them out you get the bid price which can be 5% below the ask price.

If you start on a new plan you might find it's front loaded with commissions.

Whilst many will advise "independent advisors" always ask for details of all costs, commissions and restrictions.
    If going the advisor route look for someone who will charge you a fee rather than take commissions.

If you are self employed / company director, look at a SSAP - it is very tax efficient

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭bbehan202

Cheers for the advice. Is there any book I can buy on the topic to read up on? Nothing on amazon

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Darc19 wrote: »
    Generally if you move them out you get the bid price which can be 5% below the ask price.

If you start on a new plan you might find it's front loaded with commissions.

Whilst many will advise "independent advisors" always ask for details of all costs, commissions and restrictions.
    If going the advisor route look for someone who will charge you a fee rather than take commissions.

If you are self employed / company director, look at a SSAP - it is very tax efficient

That's quite misleading.

Bid/offer spreads went out of style many years ago. Early encashment/switching charges may apply normally for up to 5 years. After that there's no exit charge.

Commission disclosure is mandatory. If you don't like the size of the commission don't sign up or use the cooling off period.

Fee vs commission is a big subject. On smaller ticket business you'd often be better off to go down the commission route.

SSAP's have the same tax reliefs as insured pensions. They do tend to have very hefty fees though, and these are payable every year regardless of transactions.

Advertisement